AEM meth kit installation

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I'm just running the boost juice. I was going to try wiper fluid but this was just so easy and its hard to find a trust worthy company with a near 50/50 mix from what I've heard. And afterI five dyno pulls and four or five street pulls I've only used about a 1/4 gallon

It's rare to find 50/50 in wiper fluid. Most people I know run the -20F blue stuff, which is 30/70 and is fine to use.

yur2slo

Yur2Slo
Reaction score
what would the difference be betwen 50/50 and 30/70. fast burn rate?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
what would the difference be betwen 50/50 and 30/70. fast burn rate?

More water will provide more cooling than the 50/50 mix. The trade off is your octane bump will be less.

Someone did the math a few years ago on another forum but running 91 octane pump gas with a 50/50 injection results in something close to 118 octane.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
More water will provide more cooling than the 50/50 mix. The trade off is your octane bump will be less.

Someone did the math a few years ago on another forum but running 91 octane pump gas with a 50/50 injection results in something close to 118 octane.

So the 70/30 would be what you want if you are wanting the cooling attributes only and not the oct boost?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
So the 70/30 would be what you want if you are wanting the cooling attributes only and not the oct boost?

Spraying water only will bring down the temperature of the air charge and reduce heat transferred to the cylinder walls in the motor. You won't get that nice octane bump, which in my opinion is a big plus. A gallon of distilled water is $1 and a gallon of 30/70 washer fluid is what, $2? Totally worth it for the 30% meth.

Water should have an octane rating of infinity.

What Bruce means is that water has an octane rating of infinity because no matter how much you try to compress it, it won't ignite. In fact, you can't compress water.

yur2slo

Yur2Slo
Reaction score

if the octane is close to 118 is there anyreason why you cant run 20-25psi?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
if the octane is close to 118 is there anyreason why you cant run 20-25psi?

As long as your motor can handle it, a good tuner should be able to get you dialed in. Most of the time, I see people adding a meth kit, bumping up the boost and timing to get more power. It's not some magical fluid that will let your motor take a bigger beating though.

Generally, you can use it in two ways:

1) Add it and keep your tune relatively similar, maybe adding a bit of timing or a little boost. This allows the meth to decrease IATs, decrease cylinder head temps, increase the octane, which all add up to a safety buffer--just in case you get poor gas or an injector goes funky for a cycle or two.

2) You can spray meth and make your tune really aggressive for maximum power. If you do choose to do it this way, I highly recommend against the AEM, Snow Performance, etc... kits. They tend to be a little too basic, using a pump and an atomizing nozzle. If you are seriously relying on the methanol to push every bit of power, you should really try and grab an AquaMist system, which use injector-type nozzles to spray. You can control the meth like you do a fuel injector, see the duty cycles, set certain amounts by RPM/load etc... Much more accurate and precise.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Water itself doesn't have an octane rating at all... don't see where anyone said that it did.
It is an octane booster for the fuel when it is injected with the fuel during combustion.

Its too bad water and fuel dont equaly mix we could just put water right in the tank to boost the octane, vice having to spray it in seperately lol

My take on it... if your already intercooled and dont have an iat problem and dont need to supplement your fuel system theres really no need for meth part of it at all, you could use 100% water to boost octane, cool the cylinder and increase timing if you like. Or if you do use a mix the 20-30 percent mix in the cheapo wiper fluid is fine to cool the air a littel more as well. The meth becomes important when you trying to cool iat's without an intercooler of some sort, that when you want a higher concentration of meth ie 50% or more.

Last edited:

08redgt

forum member
Reaction score
We only used the meth as an intercooler so I could run the 3.48 pulley and hit 12# of boost. We're currently running 18 degrees of timing on the top end and the a/f is actually pretty damn rich. It's in the mid-low 10's, tried leaning it out but it started pinging.

So with that said... would I actually see a benefit running straight water? I don't mind buying the boost juice, its under 30$ for four gallons from american muscle, plus the discount

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
An octane rating is resistance to detonation. Water isn't going to detonate.

Thanks for the explination.

My take on it... if your already intercooled and dont have an iat problem and dont need to supplement your fuel system there's really no need for meth part of it at all, you could use 100% water to boost octane, cool the cylinder and increase timing if you like. Or if you do use a mix the 20-30 percent mix in the cheapo wiper fluid is fine to cool the air a little more as well. The meth becomes important when you trying to cool iat's without an intercooler of some sort, that when you want a higher concentration of meth ie 50% or more.

Well , like with mine , I have an intercooler and am still seeing ait of 176* at the end of a pull in 95* and hummid weather. I am only at 17 psi but am using a 24* pulley to get more low end out of the centi. with the use of the wastgate. I think this is what the op is wanting to do without an intercooler. Or just run a smaller pulley all the time and use the meth to keep the aits down.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Water itself doesn't have an octane rating at all... don't see where anyone said that it did.
It is an octane booster for the fuel when it is injected with the fuel during combustion.

Its too bad water and fuel dont equaly mix we could just put water right in the tank to boost the octane, vice having to spray it in seperately lol

My take on it... if your already intercooled and dont have an iat problem and dont need to supplement your fuel system theres really no need for meth part of it at all, you could use 100% water to boost octane, cool the cylinder and increase timing if you like. Or if you do use a mix the 20-30 percent mix in the cheapo wiper fluid is fine to cool the air a littel more as well. The meth becomes important when you trying to cool iat's without an intercooler of some sort, that when you want a higher concentration of meth ie 50% or more.

Yeah but methanol smells so good it's totally worth just having around the garage for a quick whiff now and then. I have a methanol kit on my intercooled blower, you know, to explain why I have gallons upon gallons of methanol at home :crazy:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hahah!

I have a meth inj setup i bought awhile back, just havent installed it yet since my iat's have always been so close to ambient (withint 10-12 degrees). When I go higher and start pushing the limit of 93 I will likely install it for safety. Completely independent of the tune and wil likely run 10-20% meth to water. and A small nozzle 3-5 gpm. to start spraying above 12 psi or something like that so it last awhile but is there when im getting on it and into big boost.

08redgt

forum member
Reaction score
So it better to have the pump for the meth start flowing right when I hit boost or a pounds in? Right now the pump turns on around 2-3 psi and hits full around 5. And should I he running straight water since I don't need the octane boost?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Hahah!

I have a meth inj setup i bought awhile back, just havent installed it yet since my iat's have always been so close to ambient (withint 10-12 degrees). When I go higher and start pushing the limit of 93 I will likely install it for safety. Completely independent of the tune and wil likely run 10-20% meth to water. and A small nozzle 3-5 gpm. to start spraying above 12 psi or something like that so it last awhile but is there when im getting on it and into big boost.

Kind of how I am doing mine. I will not tune for it, it will be used to lower AITs only and keep the timing from being pulled. When I want more power it will be with race fuel and or N2O, but that is a whole nother thread.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So it better to have the pump for the meth start flowing right when I hit boost or a pounds in? Right now the pump turns on around 2-3 psi and hits full around 5. And should I he running straight water since I don't need the octane boost?

You dont want it too low or you will bog the motor, if you using it starting at a low boost level, progressive controllers can be beneficial. Do you have an intercooler, or just meth? If no intercooler, keep it at 50/50.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kind of how I am doing mine. I will not tune for it, it will be used to lower AITs only and keep the timing from being pulled. When I want more power it will be with race fuel and or N2O, but that is a whole nother thread.

:thumb2: Its madness I know when will it end lol

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation Instructions 30-3000.pdf

From the PDF

Adjust the “Start PSI” value by setting the dial to approx 25% of the vehicles maximum boost.​
Adjust the full-in value to your maximum possible boost (up to 38 PSIg of boost).

:thumb2: Its madness I know when will it end lol

It wont!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back