After almost 5 years ownership, just noticed something...

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I never noticed this before, perhaps I haven't run the fuel level this low before. The other day with my car showing only 14 miles left to empty, I noticed that the fuel gauge backlighting changed from white to red in addition to the low fuel announcement and the little orange gas pump icon. At what miles left does this happen?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Never noticed that, but the tach lighting will turn red when you pass the redline.

ha ha. My 2010 tach turned red when I hit the rev limiter while manually shifted into 2nd gear on the auto. You don't ever want to do that.... with a blower on. Freaked me right out, it's an eye opener, and gets ur attention.... fast like.

I would not run the tank below 1/4. The fuel pump is immersed into the tank...to cool the pump. Any junk floating at bottom of tank, or floating about, will then clog up the sock filter that goes over bottom of the pump.

If eng dies on you, you need that adaptor thingy to refill if using a gas can..pita. Then prime the pump several times.

Just don't let it go below 1/4 tank.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've never gone below 1/4 tank but I've heard of such a light.
You're letting your fuel pump get nice and toasty running like that.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
you're supposed to shift before the tach goes red? :hmmm:

Yup. Normally I would just leave it in... 'Drive' and be done with it. It caught me out... the way the tach came up so fast. I had also reduced the rev limiter from 6500..down to 6250. This was late at night.. so focused on driving..and keeping an eye out for the damned deer.

46addict

Reaction score
I've had an 07 and two 08s and none of them had a fuel gauge that turned red. The message center will display a warning from 50 miles to empty on the 6 gauge cars. On a 4 gauge car with no message center it would just be an amber warning light you typically see. The fuel gauge turning red must be a 2010+ thing that happened with the interior redesign.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've had an 07 and two 08s and none of them had a fuel gauge that turned red. The message center will display a warning from 50 miles to empty on the 6 gauge cars. On a 4 gauge car with no message center it would just be an amber warning light you typically see. The fuel gauge turning red must be a 2010+ thing that happened with the interior redesign.

My 08 will turn red if you reeeeally run it low. I've got a 6 gauge cluster with MyColor. I've only seen it happen one time and it was like 7 miles to E.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Pretty sure only the Premium-pack cars do this. I know that the tach turning red is definitely a feature only on the Premium cars.
My base GT doesn't do it.

46addict

Reaction score
My 08 will turn red if you reeeeally run it low. I've got a 6 gauge cluster with MyColor. I've only seen it happen one time and it was like 7 miles to E.
I stand corrected then. I get really nervous at the 30 miles to empty point and haven't gotten lower than that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I know I've had my '08 below 30 to E a couple of times, but I don't remember getting any color warning. Just another "every 5 fewer miles to E" beep. Bought the car to order.

Norm

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
50 miles to empty comes on at about 1/4 tank lol

I only get 175-180 miles per tank, around town, so when it gets below 1/3... I start to sweat. My 50 miles to empty comes on just above 1/4 tank. Plus I have all the chevron stations memorized..and hrs open, since they are the only ones that sell 94 octane / no ethanol. Mileage on hwy is good, but I'm seldom on the hwy these days.

On my last tune revision from VMP, they tweaked it so it won't go into OD, until I hit 40 mph on my 2010 auto + blower. They also increased the idle from 600 rpm..up to 750 rpm. ( In Drive, foot on brake). At that point, the mileage around town was degraded a bit. I'm lucky if I can get 12-13 mpg..and that's an imperial gallon ( 4.54 litres)... not a US gallon ( 3.785 l).

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
It tells you at 50 miles left and you have to push reset to clear it. It warns you at 25 and at 10 the same way. Have to reset to clear. Gas gauge turns red when it hits 10 miles left as well.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
You’d have to be petty oblivious to run out of gas on this car. Besides the message center warning at 50 miles left. The amber gas pump icon illuminates at this point, then another message center alert at 25 miles left and finally the fuel gauge back light color change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back