aftermarket steering wheels!

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
I got the NRG mustang hub, NRG quick release v2.5 and an NRG wheel at SEMA. I'm about to go to a Personal or Nardi wheel soon though.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used a Momo steering wheel with a hub adaptor. Here is a link to the steering wheel:

http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/race-3000-steering-wheel.html

And I used the hub adaptor part# 4538. Here is a link to that:

http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/hubs/ford-hubs.html

Now, I will say the the hub needed some modification. The large hole in the center for the steering shaft was fine, and the large rectangular hole above that was fine, but you need to clearance a couple small sections for the other stuff that protrude out of the stock mounting point, which I pictured below, along with the stock hub adaptor.

SteeringWheel3.jpg

SteeringWheel2.jpg

Interiormockup.jpg

SteeringwheelMomo.jpg

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the 2010 GT500 steering wheel, but I am not a fan of all the buttons on it that dont have any worth for a 2007 GT.

pedrosjunkstuff229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
The NRG stuff went on perfectly and looks great. Their hub and quick releases are top notch pieces.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can you provide links to those? I only see the quick release hubs for imports

Last edited:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
The quick release itself fits onto any NRG hub. The Momo bolt pattern is different though, so an NRG quick release won't fit your momo hub.

The parts are as follow:

NRG Ford Hub SKU: SRK-175H

NRG V2.5 Release SKU: SRK-250B

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn where were you 3 months ago? I wanted to go with a quick release but couldn't find it.

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
The quick release itself fits onto any NRG hub. The Momo bolt pattern is different though, so an NRG quick release won't fit your momo hub.

The parts are as follow:

NRG Ford Hub SKU: SRK-175H

NRG V2.5 Release SKU: SRK-250B

Does this create any issue with the air bag light on the dash? I'd hate to have another light to look at...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Come on guys.. I need you to work a little harder at making this a technical thread or I am going to have to move it to the general chat forum.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Come on guys.. I need you to work a little harder at making this a technical thread or I am going to have to move it to the general chat forum.

To install an aftermarket steering wheel in an S197, you must first remove the stock wheel. Before you go any further, disconnect the battery; as you will be working around airbags, and they are no joke if they go off. So now that the battery is disconnected you remove the two circular tabs on the side of the stock wheel and remove the bolts holding the air bag in place. Remove the airbag and disconnect the two electrical sensors on the back of it(set it aside face up incase of an accidental discharge) Once the airbag is taken care of you remove the big ass T-something bolt in the center of the steeringwheel and pull the stock wheel off. Then put on the hub, and wire in the horn. The quick release is in two pieces, remove the "male" end of the quick release and afix it to the hub; then connect the horn wires to the quick release. Then afix the other end of the quick release to your steering wheel. Your done.

EDIT:

Oh, and for extra measure add some blue loctite to the center bolt. I don't remember the torque specs off the top of my head, its written down in one of my college notebooks some where. At least I wrote down something useful in them last semester.

Last edited:

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
To install an aftermarket steering wheel in an S197, you must first remove the stock wheel. Before you go any further, disconnect the battery; as you will be working around airbags, and they are no joke if they go off. So now that the battery is disconnected you remove the two circular tabs on the side of the stock wheel and remove the bolts holding the air bag in place. Remove the airbag and disconnect the two electrical sensors on the back of it(set it aside face up incase of an accidental discharge) Once the airbag is taken care of you remove the big ass T-something bolt in the center of the steeringwheel and pull the stock wheel off. Then put on the hub, and wire in the horn. The quick release is in two pieces, remove the "male" end of the quick release and afix it to the hub; then connect the horn wires to the quick release. Then afix the other end of the quick release to your steering wheel. Your done.

Good one. And thanks for the part numbers. Also where did you buy these parts from? (Never mind reading comprehension is a bitch...LOL)

Last edited:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
How about some links????

I posted the SKUs if you look above. Here are the first links that pop up in Google, im sure you can shop around.

Hub: http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/2011253657/?s=1281254162

Quick Release: http://www.robearracing.com/pd_nrg_quick_release_hub_25_black.cfm

Call NRG and talk to Mike Nguyen if he still works there. Tell him your looking for the best possible deal and he'll hook it up. However a few months ago Mike had told me he was thinking about moving on, but it never hurts to try!

Last edited:

GI Joe

Reaction score

seemed pretty technical to me...you have lost all perspective...

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back