All Army Inside

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you think? 30MM on the new Humvee replacement? That is a lot of gun on a little vehicle! Wouldn't 20MM make more sense? They say they want 30MM because of the available explosive rounds.

Video in the link of it firing.

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2016/07/20/watch-army-fires-30mm-cannons-from-new-recon-vehicles/

30mm-cannon-recon-vehicle-777x437.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like teh humvee, there are multiple weapons system options available. 30mm vs Jihadist Nissan pickups? I say OK.

I have read other articles and they want fewer 50 cal gun mounts and more 30MM.

Interestingly, The Army also put out an emergency bid out to equip MRAPs in Europe with 30MM gun mounts. They are worried they are under gunned against the Russians.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not an infantry support weapon I would take it.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
It all comes down to mission and budget. The kid in me will always want the biggest gun. Mount a vulcan cannon to it whatever LOL. But you need to be realistic because unless you are special forces, there will be a budget.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not an infantry support weapon I would take it.

It would actually be used for infantry support. In a way, it might not be so surprising the Army wants it. They know the AF is trying really hard to kill off the A-10 with its 30MM gun. The AF is talking about a replacement CAS aircraft, but the F-35 is devouring the AF budget, not likely to see one for a very long time.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have zero military experience. However I just see that as an anti armor weapon. It's cannot lay down serious amounts of lead at the enemy. A secondary smaller weapon, M60/SAW type would seem a necessity.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have zero military experience. However I just see that as an anti armor weapon. It's cannot lay down serious amounts of lead at the enemy. A secondary smaller weapon, M60/SAW type would seem a necessity.

It would be part of a team or squad of them, with various weapons dependent on mission. We rolled 4 deep most the time; .50 on the front truck, then M240, then the At-4 truck, and another .50 cal.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

30MM explosive rounds would make any enemy have a very bad day. It could also reach out and touch them from a long ways. The explosive rounds are what make the A-10 such a potent close air support platform for infantry support.

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
With a 50 and 40mm as the "big" mounted weapons, there isn't much ammo between cans. I can't image with the size of the round being worth it. This is the whole reason the 1911 was replace by the M9. With that said though, the point is a support vehicle to keep heads down, this won't have the ammo capacity for that. Now if the 19K wanted to use that or the 13F, I would say yeah. Bradley is way to loud, big, etc.... As a former 13F, when attached to Armor or Mech units, I would have perfered a smaller, light vehicle to scout ahead, etc... In all I don't see this as a support weapon as much as a direct action on vehicles/personnel.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
30MM explosive rounds would make any enemy have a very bad day. It could also reach out and touch them from a long ways. The explosive rounds are what make the A-10 such a potent close air support platform for infantry support.

I didn't think of that. When I left 6 years ago we were going downrange with MK19s mounted to vehicles that never shot because of the 400m kill radius. an automatic weapon with a boom that is not like a big-big boom could turn out to be very versatile.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More stupid bullshit. The Humvee is already too heavy with all of the armor plating. Adding more weight just makes them slower and more of a sitting duck. I speak from experience with them.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Bro I could tell you all about an up-armored 998 with an armored turret LOL.

We are talking about mounting to a new vehicle.

However if this gets OK'd I will bet you will find that same up-armored 998 from 1982 with a 30mm mounted LOL.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More stupid bullshit. The Humvee is already too heavy with all of the armor plating. Adding more weight just makes them slower and more of a sitting duck. I speak from experience with them.

This is for the Humvee replacement. Designed from the get go with more protection.

Humvee was definitely developed before IED became a household acronym.

The Russians in Europe, Snackbars in SW asia and the AF trying time and again to get out of the mud moving game are driving this, I think.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back