Anybody use VHT tint for taillight? Results?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I'm wanting some tinted taillights and trying to decide if I should try the spray. Anybody use it? Is it easy to mess up? End results look good? Is it just better to go with covers (which I'm not sure I like the look of in most cases)
Post pix of your tinted lights, covered lights, etc. Please and thank you.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
covers are gay..I love VHT too..But I am having my buddy do them the right way at his shop..sand them, paint them, sand them again and finally clear them..

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thats how i did mine took a whole day

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll go that route then. Does it go on the outside or do you take them apart and put it on the inside of the lens?

Yeah, the covers just don't do it for me at all, and I didn't want to have to buy an aftermarket set.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Also, how many cans will I need? I see a lot of 2 can bundles for sale. And how many coats do you need?

Procharged06

forum member
Reaction score
Mine have about 3-4 coats of VHT and then several coats of clear coat. Can't really mess up, but if you do just sand down and redo. Only tip that I can give you is to place the tails together so you can make one pass over both at the same time. And make sure there aren't any fingerprints on the lenses prior to using the VHT (don't ask me how I know).

Attachments

• DSCF4052.jpg
    DSCF4052.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 87

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Mine have about 3-4 coats of VHT and then several coats of clear coat. Can't really mess up, but if you do just sand down and redo. Only tip that I can give you is to place the tails together so you can make one pass over both at the same time. And make sure there aren't any fingerprints on the lenses prior to using the VHT (don't ask me how I know).

Thanks bro. did 1 can cover the 3-4 coats?

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine as well and 1 can will last a long time.I did 4 coats and still had plenty left over.

*1GT2NV*

That Guy
Reaction score
TX by way of ATL by way of MD by way of NJ
yea 1 can will last you. i did my stock and LED tails with 1 can. just b patient, i wasn't and smugged them a bit. definetly wet sand between VHT and clear coats. i will make a world of difference.

also +1 on putting them next to each other for even coats.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Cool, I'm considering masking off the back up lights, but not sure yet. Maybe It'll look better to be all black . . .

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
VHT is great stuff! Did it on my FX4, my buddies ride, and the GT.
18208311557.jpg

18208280480.jpg

18208258856.jpg

..and with the parking lights on
18208280494.jpg

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the VHT jobs I've seen are cloudy and have mediocre gloss. I had mine done by a professional with custom Kandy Black/Clear mix and then 3 coats of clear. Perfectly clear, great light transmission, high gloss, can buff scratches out just like paint.

covers are gay..I love VHT too..But I am having my buddy do them the right way at his shop..sand them, paint them, sand them again and finally clear them..

Glad you were convinced, love mine done by Jay. :boobies:

Mine are purposely lightly tinted, make them a deeper red rather than blacked out, I also had the outlines of the tails done in gloss black for better separation.
2498562760052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

2114136740052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

2050480680052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

Doesn't seem like much in those pics huh? How about compared to factory red?
2637644330052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
the trick is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN your lights and let them dry for a bit. If there is any sorta dirt or moisture on the lamp, your going to immediately know when the VHT hits the lights. I did mine off of the car and they look great. 1 can will be good enough for almost 2 cars

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
I used it on my buillitt, and I may have just done it incorrectly but I didn't like how it came out.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I've done about four cars now, and they've all come out good. You need to be very light on the coats of VHT, and you'll have to do a few layers of clear followed by a polish.

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
mycar2.jpg

I used it and loved it...its been on my car for over 2 years with no reconditioning and they still look great!! What I did was spray them a little darker than the darkness I was wanting so that I could wetsand them and still keep them dark...I probably but 4-5 coats on mine then wetsanded with 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth/even them out then wetsanded again with 3000 grit...after that I polished them with an orbital buffer to a shine...this left them with a nice glossy finish and I didnt use a clear coat. Very easy to do...once out of the car I was probably done within an hour...the part that took the longest was letting the spray dry before wetsanding

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
mycar2.jpg

I used it and loved it...its been on my car for over 2 years with no reconditioning and they still look great!! What I did was spray them a little darker than the darkness I was wanting so that I could wetsand them and still keep them dark...I probably but 4-5 coats on mine then wetsanded with 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth/even them out then wetsanded again with 3000 grit...after that I polished them with an orbital buffer to a shine...this left them with a nice glossy finish and I didnt use a clear coat. Very easy to do...once out of the car I was probably done within an hour...the part that took the longest was letting the spray dry before wetsanding

Thanks for the specifics. I'll try it your way and post results. I may still go ahead on spray on some clear just for protection.

So, yours doesn't scratch or mess up easily with no clear on them?

Sweet car btw. That's how I want the back of mine to look as far as darkness goes

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back