Anyone remove the "charcoal canister/filter"?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
So bringing this one back, I have P0446 which needs to be disabled, but the head scratcher is I also have P0463 (Fuel Level Sensor High). The gas gage goes from F to E and the gas light comes on after about a minute or so of it running. The car has been sitting for a while, which is not out of the ordinary for it, and I was very careful in removing the system, and was no where near the fuel sending unit. Any ideas would be great.
Depending on the year of your car this is a known issue. There's a TSB for it. We've been dealing with it in our 06 for a bit. I replaced the whole fuel pump module last weekend in the hope of fixing it.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
So bringing this one back, I have P0446 which needs to be disabled, but the head scratcher is I also have P0463 (Fuel Level Sensor High). The gas gage goes from F to E and the gas light comes on after about a minute or so of it running. The car has been sitting for a while, which is not out of the ordinary for it, and I was very careful in removing the system, and was no where near the fuel sending unit. Any ideas would be great.

Did these codes show right after the system removal? The level senders are known to get stuck if debris from the tank gets lodged in its path. So I wouldn't rule this out unless you know the level sender and pump are good.

UPDATE: All EVAP equipment removed. Tank vented to atmosphere. I got the "check engine" light after removing everything. I contacted BAMA/American Muscle for a new tune, but it didn't remove all of the trouble codes. I am having a new tune written and it will include the omission of codes P0443, P0446, and P0453. Have I missed any? I am hoping this will finally fix the situation.
Anyone else experience similar issues?

-Nick

By "omitting" the codes is the tuner making the EVAP sensors unavailable or disabled for emissions testing? Wouldn't the inspector look for disabled monitors and flag this if turned off in the tune? I realize this varies by state so I'll say I'm in GA. We do a OBD check but no sniffer.

frankthetank81

Reaction score
So I drove it for a bit last night, first time in about 9 months and the fuel gage seems to be working now, maybe the gas just needed to be sloshed around some to get the float moving again. With some spirited driving, I got the gas gage to go down a bit(from the right side of the F line to the left of it). It still throws the P0446, but that was to be expected until the new tune comes in. Keep everyone posted.

no inspections are done in my state. I've been wanting to do this for a while, I have never been able to fill the car up easily, and it got to the point where there were times I wasn't even sure I could get gas in the tank. With getting 8-10 miles per gallon and a tiny tank to begin with, not ideal. The other big plus is being able to easily jack the rear of the car up now, prior I always had to worm the jack in between the exhaust and tire and it would take a good 5 minutes to get the car off the ground.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
QS far as the tune goes you turn off the ability to report said code, you change the option, you have three choices when tuning.
1: report code
2: do not illuminate CEL
3: do not report code

46addict

Reaction score
QS far as the tune goes you turn off the ability to report said code, you change the option, you have three choices when tuning.
1: report code
2: do not illuminate CEL
3: do not report code
I'm not following. If a code is reported, the CEL will light up, no?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'm not following. If a code is reported, the CEL will light up, no?
Not if you select the option to not have it trigger the light. The code would be reported when scanning, but it would not set the CEL

frankthetank81

Reaction score
Long overdue update: I received an updated BAMA tune that addresses the 3 codes I listed above. All is well now. No more issues...

Thanks for the help, guys.
So after a back and forth with BAMA, they said they no longer will remove the P0446 code. Anyone hear about this?

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
I have heard of mainstream tuners refusing to turn off or do anything with rear o2 sensor monitors. I suppose they're doing the same for EVAP components for the same emissions reasons.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back