Apache's At Work. WARNING! NOT FOR SQEAMISH!

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
Badass!!!!!!!! Thanks DJ for your service. I flew UH-1's back in the 80's. Nothing makes my dick move like seeing enemies of this country blown to pieces.

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
Badass!!!!!!!! Thanks DJ for your service. I flew UH-1's back in the 80's. Nothing makes my dick move like seeing enemies of this country blown to pieces.

Thanks for your service as well! My dad flew B and D Model Huey guns and then Cobras. I still love the sound of a Huey. It reminds me of when I was little and Ft Rucker.

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
$1,000,000.. lol. No try less than 90k

It's not a M230 grenade launcher. It's a 30MM gun. They usually shoot from half a mile or more away but can shoot up to a distance of about 1 1/2 miles. Most pilots can't hit shit at that range though. Hellfires are a different story and also cost the Army over $1,000,000 per Hellfire. So they must be approved to use them lol.

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
Thanks for your service as well! My dad flew B and D Model Huey guns and then Cobras. I still love the sound of a Huey. It reminds me of when I was little and Ft Rucker.

I spent a year at Rucker. I had a BS degree but went Warrant. Flying around the hills of Alabama was awesome! Are you PIC or gunner? And I agree, love Hueys!

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
I spent a year at Rucker. I had a BS degree but went Warrant. Flying around the hills of Alabama was awesome! Are you PIC or gunner? And I agree, love Hueys!

PIC. Going to Rucker in a few weeks for IPC. I have a BS as well but the old man was a warrant and he would have given me alot of crap if I went commissioned. ;-)

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most are cheaper than that but some are more expensive. It all depends on the model.

The Army got the volume discount! Between Iraq and Afgan, can't imagine how many they bought and shot off.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Most are cheaper than that but some are more expensive. It all depends on the model.

About a year and a half ago my buddy (acquisitions officer in the Air Force) and I had a very similar discussion about Hellfires. At that time, he was purchasing them for $58,000 each for the Air Force. He did mention different models, but this was the price for the particular model he was purchasing. The price may have changed since 2011, but I can't imagine it's off by more than 10%.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC the M230 that the Apache has, has a range of 5500 meters so I would say at least 5500 meters out. The Hellfire missiles are 8000 meter range so they had no trouble finding their target lol.

I've watched hundreds of Apache engagements over the years that came off of the video tapes (even better with digital and MTADS...). Not many of them exceed a half mile or so, though I've seen some go out a bit farther when the atmospherics were good. The 30mm HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) is a pretty heavy round overall and doesn't have the biggest charge behind it, so its got a helluva arc when you try to push it farther.

I can't see the video here in Afghanistan, but as long as the CPG lase'd the target, you should be able to see the engagement range.

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
I would have pushed them off if I was talking directly to them. As stated before, terrible shots. Atleast there wasnt any friendlies on the ground. Im an FO and these guys would have scared the hell out of me. However nobody was around so go nuts!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back