Audio project

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
I have my head unit installed already. It's a Kenwood Excelon DNX692. My subwoofer will be a Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 a 4 ohm woofer. I just received my 3 way components. They are Hertz HI energy HSK 163. I will be running a ARC Audio XDI 1100.5 I will be using hush mat on the doors and trunk. This should be a interesting project.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Dropping car off at the shop soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20151128_142344_092.jpg
    IMG_20151128_142344_092.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20150916_170941_723.jpg
    IMG_20150916_170941_723.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Install complete. The Hertz 3 way set up sound outstanding. The factory 8" was removed and the 6.5" was put in its place. A bracket was made and the original 6x8 in the upper part of the door was removed. The 3" woofer and 1" tweet replaced the 6x8 in a bracket. looking at the door it looks completely stock. The amplifier I am using is a Arc Audio 1100.5 amplifier. The amp produces a very clean sound. My installer said the Arc Audio amp is very clean and precise. The engineer for this amplifier is the same one for Zapco. The low end of my system is a Dual 4 ohm Image Dynamics ID Max 12. I have used Image Dynamics in previous installs.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
audio

The enclosure is a Atrends single 12 fiberglass enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_20160111_134112_592[1].jpg
    IMG_20160111_134112_592[1].jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160111_152209_990[1].jpg
    IMG_20160111_152209_990[1].jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160112_240950_821[1].jpg
    IMG_20160112_240950_821[1].jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20160111_152136_214[1].jpg
    IMG_20160111_152136_214[1].jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 36

JonT

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting choice for your speakers. You've definitely made some quality choices with this system. I used to be really into car audio and doing SPL competitions. I've seen several people make really good numbers with IDMAX subs. Enjoy your system.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks JonT I have always like sound quality. The only thing I might change would be a little sound deading on the doors. They are rattling a lit bit. Everything is solid.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple new pieces. This is really going to clean up the sound in the car. Its already clear but it will be that much better. Audio Control 6XS and Audio Control EQS.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Audio Control makes nice stuff. Nice system. Not familiar with all the brand names as I have not been into audio now for about 10 years. I did an Eclipse 8053 unit back in 2004 with all Diamond audio D5 series amps and components, mated with a Boston Acoustic 12" sub in a sealed box. Stuffed it all into a 2003 Ford Ranger super cab. 8V preouts, bi-amped everything and it sounded very clean. All Class A amplifiers. Never ran the amp gain above 40%, never used the internal crossovers. The head unit had crossover an parametric EQ. Was a sweet unit. No more than got it finished and I yanked it all out, and traded the truck for a 2002 Mustang GT. It's been all about HP ever since.

I was going to do an old school high current setup at one point. Had obtained several Audio Art amps, but changed my mind and sold them all and went with this setup.

Last edited:

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Audio Control makes nice stuff. Nice system. Not familiar with all the brand names as I have not been into audio now for about 10 years. I did an Eclipse 8053 unit back in 2004 with all Diamond audio D5 series amps and components, mated with a Boston Acoustic 12" sub in a sealed box. Stuffed it all into a 2003 Ford Ranger super cab. 8V preouts, bi-amped everything and it sounded very clean. All Class A amplifiers. Never ran the amp gain above 40%, never used the internal crossovers. The head unit had crossover an parametric EQ. Was a sweet unit. No more than got it finished and I yanked it all out, and traded the truck for a 2002 Mustang GT. It's been all about HP ever since.

I was going to do an old school high current setup at one point. Had obtained several Audio Art amps, but changed my mind and sold them all and went with this setup.

That was some nice equipment you had. My dream system at the time was in a 2001 Nissan Altima. It had a Alpine CDA 9811 Deck and CD Changer, AudioControl 4.1 and EQS, Amplifiers were Autotek Stealths 900.4 and 1500.1, Stinger wiring, Optima Red Top, Subwoofer Digital Design 3500 D2 12, Image Dynamics Chameleon Components 64 and 62. Dynamt in the front doors and driver and passenger side floor. Car sounded like being in a studio.
I remember that Eclispe 8053 that was a bad ass deck. Hertz is similar to Focal, Kenwood has been around for years. My sub Image Dynamics is one of the original ID Max.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh heck yeah, Kenwood is timeless to some degree. Your 2001 setup is more familiar. And I do remember Focal....OUCH! Dreamed but wasn't going to swing for the fence on trying to afford those. I sought to find super tight bass, smooth mids and gentle highs in my setup. One of the best tweeters I have ran I wish I had kept them) was a pair of DLS made somewhere in Europe as I recall. Soft dome tweeter. Awesome sound without killing the ear like some hard domes do. I listened to a lot of music genres back then, but always favored jazz when it came to dialing in the sound quality. Liked that tight bass string, and solid hit of a bass drum without the typical forever bandpass roll off that hung forever. That said, one of my favorite songs to load and play was the opening theme to the movie Gettysburg. The bass in that song was tremendous. The piece was so full of sound throughout from brass to strings to woodwinds it really showed off what a properly setup unit could sound like.

Last edited:

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Oh heck yeah, Kenwood is timeless to some degree. Your 2001 setup is more familiar. And I do remember Focal....OUCH! Dreamed but wasn't going to swing for the fence on trying to afford those. I sought to find super tight bass, smooth mids and gentle highs in my setup. One of the best tweeters I have ran I wish I had kept them) was a pair of DLS made somewhere in Europe as I recall. Soft dome tweeter. Awesome sound without killing the ear like some hard domes do. I listened to a lot of music genres back then, but always favored jazz when it came to dialing in the sound quality. Liked that tight bass string, and solid hit of a bass drum without the typical forever bandpass roll off that hung forever. That said, one of my favorite songs to load and play was the opening theme to the movie Gettysburg. The bass in that song was tremendous. The piece was so full of sound throughout from brass to strings to woodwinds it really showed off what a properly setup unit could sound like.
Focal is still awesome. I hear the series that is right underneath the Utopia they were good but price was still like $900 for them. The Utopia $3500. DLS also still makes good equipment. I do like jazz and 1990's R&B, Hip Hop late 80's to early 2000. I have always been into Sound Quality. I also can respect SPL guys because that what got me into car audio. Saying my age I wanted the loudest car but then as I grew up changed wanted everything to be clear.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Focal is still awesome. I hear the series that is right underneath the Utopia they were good but price was still like $900 for them. The Utopia $3500. DLS also still makes good equipment. I do like jazz and 1990's R&B, Hip Hop late 80's to early 2000. I have always been into Sound Quality. I also can respect SPL guys because that what got me into car audio. Saying my age I wanted the loudest car but then as I grew up changed wanted everything to be clear.

My first system consisted of an am/fm cassette with fast forward only and an eq power booster with 6x9's. Jensen, Craig, Panasonic, Majestic, Clarion, and Pioneer were the top of the line. 1% THD was considered clean. If you had Kricket Speakers you were high dollar. It was a different world then. Shaft mount. LOL!

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
My first system consisted of an am/fm cassette with fast forward only and an eq power booster with 6x9's. Jensen, Craig, Panasonic, Majestic, Clarion, and Pioneer were the top of the line. 1% THD was considered clean. If you had Kricket Speakers you were high dollar. It was a different world then. Shaft mount. LOL!

My first system was a Sanyo radio/cassette, Jensen 6.5s, sparkomatic bass tube. In my 1974 VW Bug. We have both come a long way. Car Audio has as well.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Nice system, and I'm glad someone else went with the iDatalink system. I like the connectivity and all of the options the system gives you with the Kenwood DNX891HD receiver that I put in mine. I changed my mind on the Hertz speakers and went with some Focal 165 AS component kit for my front doors and used a set of 6x8 kenwoods I already had for the back dash, all of those are being run by a JL Audio XD400/4. For a sub I decided to go with a JL 10w6 in a ported box... YES it was expensive, but it sounds amazing for a $30k car... I also used a lot of dynamat (the entire car) to stop any rattle before it started.

Why did you decide to get rid of the 8" mid instead of replacing it with a better 8" mid?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice system, and I'm glad someone else went with the iDatalink system. I like the connectivity and all of the options the system gives you with the Kenwood DNX891HD receiver that I put in mine. I changed my mind on the Hertz speakers and went with some Focal 165 AS component kit for my front doors and used a set of 6x8 kenwoods I already had for the back dash, all of those are being run by a JL Audio XD400/4. For a sub I decided to go with a JL 10w6 in a ported box... YES it was expensive, but it sounds amazing for a $30k car... I also used a lot of dynamat (the entire car) to stop any rattle before it started.

Why did you decide to get rid of the 8" mid instead of replacing it with a better 8" mid?

Mmmmmmmmmm...JL Audio.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks for the compliments. You have a nice set up as well. The Idatalink is very nice and also added theft deterrent as well. I had thought about 8's but I could never find the ones with in my budget at the time. My first mustang I changed the 8's out to some Memphis. That mustang was a 2006 v6. It had a small Memphis Belle, Image Dynamics ID Max12, Memphis 5.25 components, Eclispe CD/DVD/GPS. The Hertz High energy 3 ways sound outstanding. Crisp clear highs and mids. 6.5's mid bass make it very well put together.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I looked at some 8's specifically made to control the mids, not really for bass, but I changed my mind because they weren't plug and play. And I also didn't want the Kicker 8's, because well they are Kicker! So I still have the stock 8's and they are holding on, simply because they are still running off of the factory amps.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back