Avg. Cost for a detailer to apply opti-coat?

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. These are just dawn and Dusk shots taken straight from the camera on auto mode, with no editing, unfortunately the only chances I had to take pics yesterday. it looks even better in the bright sun, especially the wheels. Normally I don't want to see my black car in the bright sun. But a 2-stage correction and Opti-Guard changed that!

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Thanks guys. These are just dawn and Dusk shots taken straight from the camera on auto mode, with no editing, unfortunately the only chances I had to take pics yesterday. it looks even better in the bright sun, especially the wheels. Normally I don't want to see my black car in the bright sun. But a 2-stage correction and Opti-Guard changed that!
Glad you hunted for a higher quality shop now arent you? :)

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
thought you said your new car's paint was in great shape? ;)

lol, yeah, apparently that was only in certain lighting, from a certain distance, and with fillers in the swirls :) But he did say "Paint wasnt terrible but it was swirly." So it wasn't THAT bad. He just took pics of the worst spots. but point, taken ;)

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Now no garage? How do u keep it that way?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
lol, yeah, apparently that was only in certain lighting, from a certain distance, and with fillers in the swirls :) But he did say "Paint wasnt terrible but it was swirly." So it wasn't THAT bad. He just took pics of the worst spots. but point, taken ;)

That paint was nowhere near good at the beginning.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
That paint was nowhere near good at the beginning.

Well like I said, he took pics of the worst parts. It wasn't that bad. I ordered this car from the factory, so it never sat on a lot. It's never once been through a car wash and I use quality MF towels only. Yes I know it had some swirls, and the people who installed the spoiler put some scratches in it, but close up pic under LED lighting will make anything look bad that wasn't just polished. That said, I am happy with the results, but "good" is obviously hugely dependent upon ones perspective. This is my car before any work was done:

Now, to 99.9% of the public, that is a really shiny car with beautiful paint. Put it under a microscope and of course it's no so great. That holds true with anything. Take a beautiful girl, in every day conditions people will say she is beautiful and has gorgeous skin, but under a microscope and with the right (or wrong) lighting, well then wow every thing changes. It's not difficult to make most things look bad, that otherwise look great. That said, I understand where you are coming from. I just think you fail to do the same most of the time. You sit on your pedestal and lose sight of reality, which is extremely unpolished.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you mean?

well, the car sits out 24/7/365 it would seem from your posts, it obviously will suffer from the elements much more than say my ride which sees the outdoors much less. So how do u maintain such a shine and not reintroduce the marring and scratching.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
well, the car sits out 24/7/365 it would seem from your posts, it obviously will suffer from the elements much more than say my ride which sees the outdoors much less. So how do u maintain such a shine and not reintroduce the marring and scratching.

Opti guard will reduce it. But his washing habits will need to change.

Well like I said, he took pics of the worst parts. It wasn't that bad. I ordered this car from the factory, so it never sat on a lot. It's never once been through a car wash and I use quality MF towels only. Yes I know it had some swirls, and the people who installed the spoiler put some scratches in it, but close up pic under LED lighting will make anything look bad that wasn't just polished. That said, I am happy with the results, but "good" is obviously hugely dependent upon ones perspective. This is my car before any work was done:

Now, to 99.9% of the public, that is a really shiny car with beautiful paint. Put it under a microscope and of course it's no so great. That holds true with anything. Take a beautiful girl, in every day conditions people will say she is beautiful and has gorgeous skin, but under a microscope and with the right (or wrong) lighting, well then wow every thing changes. It's not difficult to make most things look bad, that otherwise look great. That said, I understand where you are coming from. I just think you fail to do the same most of the time. You sit on your pedestal and lose sight of reality, which is extremely unpolished.

My pedestal? What a child. Any enthusiast detailer can see your paint was in bad shape. I've done nothing but help you but the moment you read something you don't like you go on the offensive and name call. I have a lot more knowledge in this area than most. You were getting free advice. The detailer did a good job fixing your neglected paint.

I am no longer going to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

hwm3

forum member
Reaction score
[/URL]

No offense bro, but a car has to be in horrible shape to not shine like that under fluorescent lighting or in the shade. Your car now looks great in any lighting.

I've learned in years of detailing that not everyones expectations are the same. Some would look at your paint before and be happy. Some won't notice the difference between your car before and after. Others will notice every tiny defect. None of them are right or wrong. Just different expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I must be in the 0.1% as well then. That was pretty bad, everything taken into consideration.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score

That was a big reason I got the car opti-coated, so that all I need to do is wash it occasionally to maintain the shine. As seer stated, however, I will have to take a look at my wash habits. I think maybe once or twice I used a towel that wasn't perfectly clean. I have a big container of ONR that I purchased about a year ago but never used. I might give that a shot.

My pedestal? What a child. Any enthusiast detailer can see your paint was in bad shape. I've done nothing but help you but the moment you read something you don't like you go on the offensive and name call. I have a lot more knowledge in this area than most. You were getting free advice. The detailer did a good job fixing your neglected paint.

I am no longer going to help you.

Name calling? I didn't call you any names. I think you are the sensitive one.

No offense bro, but a car has to be in horrible shape to not shine like that under fluorescent lighting or in the shade. Your car now looks great in any lighting.

True.

I've learned in years of detailing that not everyones expectations are the same. Some would look at your paint before and be happy. Some won't notice the difference between your car before and after. Others will notice every tiny defect. None of them are right or wrong. Just different expectations.

Yes, I agree.

I must be in the 0.1% as well then. That was pretty bad, everything taken into consideration.

Parts of it were bad. He took pics of the worst spots. the whole car wasn't like that. Pretty much all black cars that weren't just polished look like that or worse up close under LED lighting. Just like this BMW:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...re-black-2008-335i-multi-step-correction.html

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Cantweallgetalong.jpg

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, as if this thread was entitled, "Seer, please help me" or as if I was calling on his help exclusively. Honestly, he didn't do much in the way of that. The one real question I had for him he didn't even have a good answer to, and as a noobie I actually had to correct him on. But whatever, carry on with the nut-swinging if you must.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, as if this thread was entitled, "Seer, please help me" or as if I was calling on his help exclusively. Honestly, he didn't do much in the way of that. The one real question I had for him he didn't even have a good answer to, and as a noobie I actually had to correct him on. But whatever, carry on with the nut-swinging if you must.

What in the hell are you talking about? You corrected absolutely nothing. If more than one person has to point out you're a jerk... maybe it's not them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back