Best aftermarket MAF

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I used the BA5000 in a blow through set up with no issues. I would've held on to it, but my research showed a BA3000 would be enough for my new goals. Which is what I'm running now.

IIRC, if you are able to send your MAF and whatever it's going to be mounted in to PMAS they'll flow it and send you the values for your MAF transfer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I used the BA5000 in a blow through set up with no issues. I would've held on to it, but my research showed a BA3000 would be enough for my new goals. Which is what I'm running now.

IIRC, if you are able to send your MAF and whatever it's going to be mounted in to PMAS they'll flow it and send you the values for your MAF transfer.

Is there an advantage to running the lower rated MAF over the other? Meaning can you have too much MAF or whatever the difference is that extends the range.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Is there an advantage to running the lower rated MAF over the other? Meaning can you have too much MAF or whatever the difference is that extends the range.
The "larger" MAF has less resolution on the lower end. Meaning it has less points to adjust to the air flow. The general consensus is to run as "small" of a MAF as possible to keep that resolution. Its supposed to help with driveability. That being said, I never really had an issue with the driveability with the BA5000. It didn't buck or surge. And I could creep through traffic at 1000rpm. This was with a big bore stroker and 80lb injectors.

Something else to consider is the size of the tube you're using. The larger the tube the more range a MAF has. I ran the BA5000 in a 3.5" tube. I never saw more than 800 counts with an F1A pullied to 19psi. If the tube had been 3" the counts would have been higher.

I'm not sure what your set up is or what can be run on these cars. But I also ran a BA2400 in that same pipe. Only issue I had was pegging it. That's why I switched to the BA5000.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I had no issues with a BA2400 on a gen 2 Lightning, and also a BA2600 on an 04 Cobra, both worked fine.

46addict

Reaction score
I am using a VMP HPX with good results. The only thing is I had to trim the edges off the sensor body because it was too thick to slide into my charge pipe. The stock sensor fit fine so it's not a problem with the slot opening.

Also to my knowledge the SCT 2400 & 2600 models don't work with a blow through setup. Something to keep in mind.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I am using a VMP HPX with good results. The only thing is I had to trim the edges off the sensor body because it was too thick to slide into my charge pipe. The stock sensor fit fine so it's not a problem with the slot opening.

Also to my knowledge the SCT 2400 & 2600 models don't work with a blow through setup. Something to keep in mind.
I ran a 2400 in a blow through set up. I also ran a Lightning MAF in that same set up with a MAFia. VMP sells the flange to mount it wherever you want. You just have to be mindful of bends before and after the MAF. The issue is that usually the pipe is a smaller diameter than the stock housing and that causes the MAF to peg much sooner.

I went from draw through to blow through. I will never run a draw through set up with a turbo or centri again.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why is that? Is it because of tuning difficulties?

Convenience as well.
With a draw through, you have to recirculate the air from a bypass valve whereas blow through, you can vent it wherever-as long as the valve is located before the MAF.

Also with Draw through, you need to relocate the AIT in order to get an accurate post-power-adder and intercooler Air Intake Temperature. Blow through, you can keep it integrated with the MAF sensor as long as the MAF is installed after the intercooler.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Why is that? Is it because of tuning difficulties?

Convenience as well.
With a draw through, you have to recirculate the air from a bypass valve whereas blow through, you can vent it wherever-as long as the valve is located before the MAF.

Also with Draw through, you need to relocate the AIT in order to get an accurate post-power-adder and intercooler Air Intake Temperature. Blow through, you can keep it integrated with the MAF sensor as long as the MAF is installed after the intercooler.

Pretty much what Red said. I had horrible backwash over the MAF in the draw through set up. Caused all kinds of part throttle issues. Most draw through set ups have that problem, just to varying degrees. A lot of people live with it, but I'm way to OCD for that. When I switch to blow through it was like driving a different car. And since I was able to keep the MAF in basically the stock place I didn't have to play the scaling game with the manifold volume. Which aided in tuning as well.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To the best of my understanding, the main reason tuning-wise to chose blow through over draw through is that in the blow through application, the air has been pressurized by the compressor so a larger mass of air fits through a smaller tube.

With a draw through, you'll need a larger housing to flow the same mass of air through it; the larger the housing, the less resolution you have (basically the accuracy of your signal degrades).

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
To the best of my understanding, the main reason tuning-wise to chose blow through over draw through is that in the blow through application, the air has been pressurized by the compressor so a larger mass of air fits through a smaller tube.

With a draw through, you'll need a larger housing to flow the same mass of air through it; the larger the housing, the less resolution you have (basically the accuracy of your signal degrades).

Actually the draw through usually has more range because the housing is larger than the blower pipe. The main reason to chose blow through over draw through is because of back wash over the MAF. On my set up you could hold your hand by the filter, rev the engine, and while the RPM's were dropping you could feel the air coming back out of the filter. I think it was a combination of the BPV and the nature of the blower. When the air is going backwards over the MAF it gives all kinds of weird readings which the ECU doesn't like. In a draw through set up the air only moves one way giving a much cleaner signal. I also like being able to vent to atmosphere.

You are correct about the larger pipe having less resolution. I think it has to do with velocity and I'm sure the amount of air moving through. I couldn't tell you exactly why. But it is possible to extend the range of a sensor going to a bigger pipe. Within limits of course.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What is your current or future application?
Procharger on a maxed out stock block for this season, and forged pistons and new rods with high boost next season.

Unless Uncle Sam delays my return to the point I miss this procharger deal, at which point I'll go to nitrous and later the pistons and rods with more nitrous.

Current is NA with long tubes and a JLT III, I was trying to avoid buying the MAF twice if it will work for the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back