Best idle for Mutha Thumpr cams

BMWS52

Boss302
Reaction score
I read a lot and don't post until I know what I am talking about. Well I was not able to find an answer by searching and I have been on many forums so I know how to use it. But I don't know the answer to this. Right now my car idles at 850 rpm... When I got the car it was idling at 900rpm. The new tune changed it to 850. Is there a "quote" better rpm to idle at? Is there a range that is too low or too high? I read the whole cam tech thread and couldn't quite figure it out with the info given.

Oh btw first post here and will post pictures later in the pic forum.

Mike

GT E UPP

forum member
Reaction score
If i recall, most our cars are set stock at around 700-750 rpm's. To some degree, with a performace cam it's really your personal preference and the differences between an automatic and standard tranny. With an Automatic, You really don't want your rpm's so high that you are fighting to hold it at a stop light. Personally with an automatic, I would be comfortable with 700-800 rpm's, and with a standard, more like 800-900 rpm's. I have mine set at 900 rpm's at the present.......Just my 2 cents...!!!

Last edited:

BMWS52

Boss302
Reaction score
Ok sweet, So it's something I can play with a bit to find what I like best. Right now the car is a PIA to get of the line smoothly. I will give it gas and it's as if I had not even touched the pedal and starts to stall. Other times it just revs up real high and spins the tires quite annoying.

Side note, I have a bad hesitation between 2300rpm through 2700rpm almost like its missing. If I continue to accelerate after that hesitation the car is real real sluggish all the way to the top of the rpm band. But say I down shift above that rpm to like 3000rpm in a lower gear. The car will take off like a bat outta hell. Tune issue or plug issue?

Thanks again,
Mike

chrisstang1

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is set at 770. I had a problem with a flat spot at 2000rpm but I think its just the nature of the cams. Its a good size cam so there going to want rpm. Im running a 4.30 gear now though.

Last edited:

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Had min set to 560 RPM, sounds way more choppy and sexy but things will chatter a bit more down that low, but they will chatter anyway, so you may as well sound gooood.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had min set to 560 RPM, sounds way more choppy and sexy but things will chatter a bit more down that low, but they will chatter anyway, so you may as well sound gooood.

See, I kind of want to set mine lower than 725 to see what it sounds like. But how low is "too" low when it comes to oil pressure and whatnot?

L8R_SON

Whippled
Reaction score
newbie question...I have a SCT XCal 3, how do I know my exact rpm? You guys aren't just estimating what is showing on your gauges right?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back