Bleeding the clutch

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Learned a new trick for bleeding the clutch and thought I should share. Had to flush my brake/clutch fluid and replaced the clutch master cylinder as well. The first master cylinder I bought wouldn't build up pressure for the life of me so I figured it was defective. Exchanged it for a new one but this time I wanted to make sure it was good. Before installing in the car under the dash (which is a pain in the ass) I connected my braided clutch line to the master cylinder and then connected a small funnel to the master cylinder inlet using a small section of clear plastic half inch tubing. Zip tied that so it wouldn't slip off and then hung it up using a string so the whole thing hanged vertically. Poured the DOT 3 into the funnel and starting pumping the master cylinder by hand until I got good flow out of the clutch line. Then capped the clutch line using a vacuum cap and secured with a zip tie so it wouldn't pop off.

Started pumping by hand and then you can see the air bubbles moving up and out thru the clear plastic tube. After all bubbles were out and the master cylinder rod firmed up I capped both ends and finished the install. I got a little air in the system when taking the caps off and plugging into the master cylinder and throw out bearing but it took only a few pumps of the clutch pedal and I was GTG.

Last thing which is kinda important. The air bubbles seem to bleed out a lot faster pumping the master cylinder rod really fast in the middle of the stroke. Don't let the rod fully extend and don't push it in all of the way.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is def the way to do it, I am going to do a similiar process as you mention for when I put in the gt500 master.

I do the same when replacing the slave, I stick in the end in the brake fluid bottlle and pump it until all the air is out and it is full of fluid and then cap it for install. Once installed I pull the cap and poor in fluid till it over flows then uncap the clutch line and as its leaking fluid put it in and clip it. Clutch is good to go and drive with no pumping.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
For the past few years and to no avail I've been looking the perfect syringe to pump fluid into a throw out bearing or clutch line while everything is installed in the car. Also been wanting to cut a hole into my transmission tunnel right where the elbow is for fluid line and throw out bearing connecter. Then cover the hole with a section of sheet metal and a few screws to secure. That will make putting those fucking clips in a whole lot easier. Every time I drop the trans and put it back in and get everything bolted up I always forget to clip the line in before raising it up that last few inches. Also forgot one time to prime/bleed a new TOB before install. An inspection/service hole in my trans tunnel would solve my memory problem.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back