Blew Up my 4.6 boosted 3v

Peyton0112

Reaction score
So I’ve been saving for a while and I just recently bought a 4.6 3v with a turbo with what I thought was built motor . Long story short it wasn’t and I blew the engine. I would rather sell the turbo and start from the ground up with a 5.0 but.., that’s not in the budget. I just want to know what the cheapest route is to get it back on the road. Or if I should sell the turbo, buy a used 4.6 engine and sell the car for what I can get out of it

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
A used engine will cost the least $$, and get it up & running the quickest.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ebay 3V for your car would be cheapest route.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Get a used 3v from LKQ, open it up, get the recip. assy out, grab some 2018 F150 5.0 conrods (whatever the part number is now, go to tasca and get steve to help you, were boss 302, I assume the newest parts still fit,) and some new piston pin circlips to install the stock pistons on the 5.0 rods, send the entire mess to a machine shop to get it balanced, and boost it up to 800hp. I have the part numbers for the rod bolts you'll need to check bearing clearances somewhere. The rods come with some but you'll burn them tightening them down.

I used new mahle rings for stock bore. The end gaps were good. You can dingleberry hone the bores, I did not.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thread moved - the question is not a tech topic here.

As has been posted, a used 3v engine is quickest and simplest route

if your current block is usable, then you could have a shop like L&M Engines build you a new short block with it and keep the set up as is

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I blew the engine.

Many people say they "blew the engine" without actually blowing up the engine. Has yours grenaded or does it still run? If it's the latter, then it's still salvageable and you can rebuild it with forged rods/pistons. Otherwise, as others have suggested, your best bet is to buy a decent used 3V engine and rebuild that with forged rods/pistons instead.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
first thing I would do is figure out a budget, and what your expectations are, then stick to the plan

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Get a used 3v from LKQ, open it up, get the recip. assy out, grab some 2018 F150 5.0 conrods (whatever the part number is now, go to tasca and get steve to help you, were boss 302, I assume the newest parts still fit,) and some new piston pin circlips to install the stock pistons on the 5.0 rods, send the entire mess to a machine shop to get it balanced, and boost it up to 800hp. I have the part numbers for the rod bolts you'll need to check bearing clearances somewhere. The rods come with some but you'll burn them tightening them down.

I used new mahle rings for stock bore. The end gaps were good. You can dingleberry hone the bores, I did not.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIkcKQs-uR4AIVBDZpCh245g4wEAQYASABEgKarfD_BwE

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back