body shop guys maybe? Filling coil covers

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
So I am looking to fill in the Powered by Ford on my coil covers and I need some help on what you guys would suggest using in order to do this. Some of the letters just make it hard to get a scuffing pad in the recesses in order to properly scuff them and then I'm not 100% sure what I should use for proper adhesion with the underhood temperatures and then putting paint over it when I'm done.

Any recommendations on what to use?

Pic for reference

m6p067m50b.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I contacted them some time ago, they said the lettering comes with double sided tape on the back which makes them raised a bit, they could sell them without the tape on the back and you could just glue them in place.
I've been thinking about it for a couple of years now, lol

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
a pro bodyman/ painter for over 30 years.
I an assuming you want to powder coat after filling.

I would sandblast the letters and fill the grooves with a high temp filler sold by eastwood.

https://convert.convertglobal.com/ml/ct;jsessionid=9133DA3FEB9B5A216129EF8D90D634F4?k=b4967de0-d5d5-11e5-a8ff-b1063da3bb56&m=iohw5&sdc=56cfc4d0-d5d7-11e5-a8ff-b1063da3bb56&er=%7B%2256cfc4d1-d5d7-11e5-a8ff-b1063da3bb56%22%3A%22ACCEPTED%22%7D&rdr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eastwood.com%2Fhi-temp-lab-metal-24-oz.html%3Freltype%3D3

this is the higher temp version. eastwood also sells a lower temp one that also can be powder coated.

if not powder coating. I would sandblast the grooves and fill with ALLMETAL sold at your local body shop supply store. fill, sand prime and paint.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
What would i sand blast them with? My uncle has a sand blaster that i can use.

No powder coating, just going to paint them gloss black when it is done. I was thinking of using the PC-7 that Eastwood sells bit want sure if that was the right thing to use.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
What would i sand blast them with? My uncle has a sand blaster that i can use.

No powder coating, just going to paint them gloss black when it is done. I was thinking of using the PC-7 that Eastwood sells bit want sure if that was the right thing to use.

PC-7 might work. I would google it to find what you can use it on and the proper way to use it.

one tip you will have to press the filler in the corners good. you don't need any air pockets that will mess up your job making a re-do later.

any type of media should be fine. silica sand or other fine media will remove the powder coating very slowly. what blasting does is remove the powder coat in the small cracks that can't be sanded by hand and give a good tooth for the filler to stick to. you could sand most of the powder coat off first and then sandblast the tough areas if you are using a fine blasting media.
after blasting make sure you rinse off the covers really good. you don't want the media to find a way inside your motor. I like to use a cheap wash lacquer thinner.
I would assume the covers are textured also. if they are sand the texture off or your filled area will stick out like a sore thumb.
I myself use black beauty blasting media.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiKyrHQqoHLAhUENT4KHWruC-QQFghAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackbeautyabrasives.com%2Fproducts%2Fblack-beauty-original-abrasives.php&usg=AFQjCNFjSFX7P_Jv6jU54oVyrFZcZh2koA&sig2=WGHWa-LmgK5UV_V4VYBBLg

the covers should be cast aluminum so it shouldn't hurt then. it will give a good tooth for the filler to stick to.
after blasting and filling I would recommend using a epoxy primer on the aluminum for best adhesion. after this dries then use the filling primer for your sanded areas.

whatever you use get the tech sheets for any painting product you haven't used before for best results. tech sheets can be found on the paint manufacturers website or the auto body supply paint store should have them.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The coil covers are plastic.

So there's no powdercoat on them or not gonna powdercoat them, since that would melt them

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

So there's no powdercoat on them or not gonna powdercoat them, since that would melt them

What Gabe said. I was going to get a scotchbrite pad and try and scuff the plastic that way and then put whatever in the holes to fill it.

In the end I am trying to get them to kind of look like this.

25109297665_f730e7e4f9_b.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'll probably end up buying one of those emblempros kits and seeing how it fits.
I saw a thread on another forum with someone that got one and the letters were not sticking out

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'll probably end up buying one of those emblempros kits and seeing how it fits.
I saw a thread on another forum with someone that got one and the letters were not sticking out

Interesting, as I thought that they were raised letters. I guess in that case I would be able too just do a light sanding to make sure they are flat and then do a quick layer of Bondo or PC-7 or something over it and then sand it etc. to get it flat and put the vinyl or something over it.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, as I thought that they were raised letters. I guess in that case I would be able too just do a light sanding to make sure they are flat and then do a quick layer of Bondo or PC-7 or something over it and then sand it etc. to get it flat and put the vinyl or something over it.

Do you have a spare set of covers laying around?

I do if you're interested, you can have them.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a new set for like 40 bucks, but I do appreciate the offer! If I royally fuck this up like I do everything else, I will try and get them though haha.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the emblempros kit. It sticks out just a tad, but it's actually kinda cool. You would need to rub your hand across it or get 2 inches away to realize it though.

IMG_0034_zps622b4d88.jpg

An idea I had was to make a jig and rout out the lettering all the way to the bars on the top and bottom, then get a plate engraved with something and put it in there, similar to the GT500 coil covers. I never got around to it though and it seemed like it could have been really expensive in the end.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I have the emblempros kit. It sticks out just a tad, but it's actually kinda cool. You would need to rub your hand across it or get 2 inches away to realize it though.

IMG_0034_zps622b4d88.jpg

An idea I had was to make a jig and rout out the lettering all the way to the bars on the top and bottom, then get a plate engraved with something and put it in there, similar to the GT500 coil covers. I never got around to it though and it seemed like it could have been really expensive in the end.

I was thinking about that as well and came up with the same thought. The only problem I would see with the Emblem Pros kit is I would have to sand them down so they sit inside the recess, and then put something on top of it like Bondo or whatever in order to make that powered by Ford area completely flat so I can put a sticker on it. I think I will just go the bondo route or maybe Evercoat ultra, I have been reading is a very good product to use.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe a tinted epoxy would work? You could mask the area, cut out the openings with an exacto knife and use a syringe to fill them? You could paint the cover first (if that's what you want), then fill. If you have to do any sanding, you'd only be hitting the clear coat and you could go back over it with another coat once you got it level.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score

OK I haven't worked on then so I ASS u ME d they were alloy.

when working with plastic I wash with whitewall cleaner and water. for a first step. this helps remove the release agent from the mold when forming the part.
after cleaning I would sand down the grooves, if you turn the air pressure down sand blasting with a fine media works pretty good in the tough spots, and apply some evercoat plastic bumper repair filler.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...adurl=http://www.tcpglobal.com/FIB-411_5.html

after sanding smooth, preferably 180 grit, you need to apply some primer. use a plastic primer. several manufacturers make this. I use SEM products. I use this stuff in gray or black I spray with a spray gun.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...url=http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-42033_5.html

after priming sand smooth for top coat.

JonT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're trying to fill the lettering, you can try high heat epoxy resin. Same stuff used from fiberglass/carbon fiber. Then sand it down and paint.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back