Boss 302 steering wheel

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
I just got a boss 302 steering wheel in my 07 and need to know what I need to buy to get my criuse control and horn to work. Also, I'm looking into aftermarket head units and want to make all the buttons on the steering wheel work with it. Is this possible? Thanks.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
the horn should work without having to do anything beside hook up the connector.

Here is a post from a fellow member that has it working:
Well if you're handy with a soldering iron it might take you 5-10 min to rewire the new wheel. Basically what I did was I sacrificed my old wheel since it wasn't in the best of shape, and cut the old connector off the wheel with as much wire as possible.

Then on the new wheel I cut the new connector off as close to the connector as I could giving me the most wire possible.

Stripped the wires, soldered em together and electrical taped em back together in a single loom so it looks factory

This leaves you a few extra wires for the SWC on the right side of the wheel. To get those working you need 2 pigtails, part# is WPT440 I believe, there is an extra connector on the clock spring to pass the signal through, so you can wire those to the WPT440 pigtail on one end, and if going on an aftermarket head unit you simple put one wire to ground and the other to the input on whatever SWC adapter you are using, just follow setup for the adapter for whatever a 2010+ car uses.

If you are going to a stock head unit that should also be possible, simply repin the stock connector on pins 18 and 19 with the wires coming from the WPT440 and you should be ok. using this diagram as reference on the connector that looks like the one on the left, and it would be the two pins to the right of #20 in that picture

103616d1278164691-help-shaker-500-dtc-2924-capture8.jpg

But from what I remember from when I researched it was that the SWC work on a stock shaker because its basically the same head unit used in some F150 trucks which had SWC, which incidentally is where that WPT440 connector comes from, and I'm assuming we share the same clock spring too since the connector is there and functional even on an 05

For info on the wires, I found this post on moddedmustangs

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...ng-2010-parts-fit-05-mustang.html#post2590654

Or if you don't want to go there

Cruise Control Splicing:
Old Connector >>> New Harness:
white >>> gray
blue >>> brown
red >>> red (pwr)
green >>> black (gnd)

Music Controls: (this is the resistance between the new harness green and purple wires as each button is pushed)
Music Icon = 510 ohms
VOL (-) = 50 ohms
VOL (+) = 120 ohms
|<< = 335 ohms
>>| = 210 ohms

Phone Controls: (this is the resistance between the new harness yellow and blue wires as each button is pushed)
Speaker Icon = 50 ohms
OK = 335 ohms
Phone Icon = 510 ohms

So basically the green and purple wires are for the volume controls and stuff and the yellow and blue are for the phone controls/sync controls.

On the boss wheel this wasn't an issue because it doesn't have sync or phone controls, so it was just wiring for the music controls, if you wanted all of them to work I'm sure with a resistor or 2 you can make it all work.

Yea I did a buttload of research when I did this swap lmao

P.S. I made this writeup myself lol

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
swaping out things like that is almost always a nightmare. I didnt even want to try it for my wifes chebby aveo.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
So when I solder the old harness on to the new harness what should work? The horn and criuse control? Thanks for the diagram.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
So when I solder the old harness on to the new harness what should work? The horn and criuse control? Thanks for the diagram.

The cruise control. I think the horn is controlled by one of the electrical connections that goes from the airbag to the wheel

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Actually just saw this earlier. I think you need some type of module to get the radio controls to work.

<<TREED>>

Old Connector New Wheel

white >>>>>>>>>> gray
blue >>>>>>>>>> brown
red >>>>>>>>>> red
green >>>>>>>>> black

This should get your cruise buttons working

You just plug the spliced connector in, plug the horn connector back in. Reinstall the wheel with a new center bolt, which is torqued to 41 ft/lbs.

You be sure to pull the ground battery cable before you start. I will leave mine sit for an hour or so. Ford recommends you also pull the fuse for the air bag.

There are two plugged holes, one on each side of the wheel. You just pop the plugs or covers out. there is a small bolt in each hole that hold the airbag assembly in. On reassembly, these bolts get torqued to 62 in/lbs.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
as far as the steering wheel buttons working with an aftermarket HU...

make sure the steering wheel buttons are working first, then you can buy a steering wheel adaptor for the buttons. You program the adaptor for them.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
You need two of the WPT440 harness things.

I'm not going to bother unless I get an aftermarket head unit anyway.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
If someone could please photo shop red lines through where to cut that would be greatly appreciated. I have the wheel on the car right now and want to make sure I know 100% what i'm doing before I attempt this so that's i'm asking so many questions. Also, will the pigtails on the right and left plug into the boss wheel in the same fashion? Thanks for all the help so far.

IMG_0275_zpsd68dc610.jpg

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
No horn here, no cruise either. But I haven't had cruise since I did the manual swap. Sure would be nice to get it back... I intend to eventually wire the audio buttons up to a bluetooth remote to control my phone.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
My horn doesn't work either. I think I have to have the harness plugged in.

No horn here, no cruise either. But I haven't had cruise since I did the manual swap. Sure would be nice to get it back... I intend to eventually wire the audio buttons up to a bluetooth remote to control my phone.

Do you have the harness hooked up? I'll be doing this later this evening and will report back with what works.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
The harness has different connectors for the different years and isn't compatible. You'll have get a pigtail, jump it, or make your own connector.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
Alright, so I cut off the main harness and soldered it to the harness inside the boss wheel. The horn and the lights come on but the criuse control does not. For the ground you have to screw into the wheel I just used the one on the boss harness instead of the ground form my original 07 harness so I'll just swap it when I have it off again and see if it works. Thanks for all your help!

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
When I did the swap I didn't even take the harnesses out of the wheels. I literally cut and soldered the old connector where the new connector was and matched the wires up how they are up in s197gt07s post(since I wrote it anyways :) ) Didn't do anything special for the horn, that just works so long as you solder the old connector to the correct colored wires on the new harness.

I've done the swap on 2 cars and they both work perfectly fine on both.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
When I did the swap I didn't even take the harnesses out of the wheels. I literally cut and soldered the old connector where the new connector was and matched the wires up how they are up in s197gt07s post(since I wrote it anyways :) ) Didn't do anything special for the horn, that just works so long as you solder the old connector to the correct colored wires on the new harness.

I've done the swap on 2 cars and they both work perfectly fine on both.

Thats what I did. Did you use the ground (the one that you have to screw in) off of the old or new harness?

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what I did. Did you use the ground (the one that you have to screw in) off of the old or new harness?

I believe I used the one on the new harness. it really shouldn't matter either way as long as it's grounded, but I figured I'd only have to connect up 1 wire instead of redoing the whole harness

I peeled back the electrical tape from the connector going into the clock spring, because if you do this you'll see that ground(ringed terminal) goes back up through the whole harness, and comes back down to the clock spring connector. So I just connected the ground going to the clock spring(black) to the ground on the old connector(green)

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Anyone have the music controls working for a Shaker 500? I have the two connectors but I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have the music controls working for a Shaker 500? I have the two connectors but I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

AFAIK you need to add 2 pins to the factory shaker harness on pins 18 and 19 after you pass the correctly colored ones(green and purple off new harness) through the clock spring with the 2 WPT440 connectors

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back