Bouncing idle only when moving?

BlackPearl

Reaction score
Hi guys,
09 has been sitting for a month while away on business. Battery was recharged and no issues with normal driving. However I was clutch in coming around a large corner at 50mph or so and before I let off, I notice steering locked up and the engine was off. I investigated and noticed at cruising speed, my car can't find proper idle, it will bounce between 0 and 500 rpm, sometimes dropping out completely causing a restart, until I'm under 10mph where it will sit as it should at around 750. It's reaching 60k and I have a fuel filter and new spark plugs on hand for a tune up.
It reminds me of an intake cowl popping off of the TB, where the engine will stall out, but the TB was installed with proper torque and a new gasket, plus the cowl is on quite snug, can't be pulled off by hand.
Some details:
Basic BAMA tune with all appropriate mods noted.
62mm TB (installed a week before I left, no issues after ecu calibrated afr after new tune and ~50mi driven. also most recent mod)
JLT cai with still fairly new filter.

I have more specifics if needed, thanks!!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The most obvious things that spring to mind are potentially a poor seal between the air filter and intake pipe, and between the intake pipe and TB. Make sure everything's connected properly as any unmetered air entering the engine could cause the symptoms you've described.

Derf08

Reaction score
The 62mm TB is Ford product? If not, that could be your problem. Aftermarket TB's on these cars seem to not be nearly as reliable as the Ford products.

mach2race

Reaction score
may be easier to troubleshoot, by installing factory TB and putting stock tune back in it. I would not think factory plugs would be bad at 60,000. I ran my 4.0 v6 160,000 with factory plugs.

I experienced a problem with my V6 having bouncy idle. Mostly on days with hot temperatures outside. My idle would be anywhere from 600 to 100 RPms. My factory coil pack was giving up in the heat. New coil pack and she is rock solid on idle, now. So you may have a coil issue? just a thought

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back