braided clutch line swap

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did the braided line....marginal improvement. Gt500 clutch master cylinder was a HUGE improvement for my car. No more lockouts at high rpm shifts at all. Ever. But then again the "eyelet" on my original was very worn out and sloppy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Just did this mod with the JPC line and lost the fire wall clip. Ordered the VW replacement one and it will not go all the way in. Not like the factory one did. Once I did get it to go in all the way the line blows off each time trying to bleed it. If it’s sticking out a bit it holds. Is this normal or is something jacked up. I can’t worry about driving this car each time if the line keeps blowing off. Being stranded will suck. Also put a new McLeod RST and flywheel in whole doing this. Peddle feels super soft compared to when it had a crappy blowed apart ram clutch. Still out here pumping away before the test drive. Any pointers?

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC, it took a great bit of pushing to make sure the line was on all the way and then the clip will seat correctly. Been a few years since I did it though.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Its sort of a pain in the ass. I installed the ss line years ago but recently had to remove the top fitting to install my gt500 clutch mc and it was a bit of a fiasco. Not only did it take some effort to push in all the way like he said but the stupid clip was also a pain in the ass to position correctly so it would slide into the groove and then getting it seated all the way in was another challange... The problem is the lack of room really. You cant get your hands on it. Just take your time and maybe get a second pair of hands to help make it easier.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the heads up. I drove it around a bit yesterday. The line never popped out but its still seated half way with the clip. I jammed the line in as hard as I could. It felt like it went all the way in once the O ring set itself in the master cylinder. But the clip will just not go in. The peddle release is a 180 from the way it was before. It used to release a inch from the floor now its dead on top. And the peddle itself feels light as a feather. I am used to a bit of resistance but there is none. All gears go in smooth as butter but maybe its suppose to be like that and I just got adjusted to the old feeling that was the wrong feeling. The clutch was a mess and the slave was wore the hell out so with all new equipment maybe its just gonna take some getting use too. The spring setup was gone when I got the car so I am not sure if that would help any. And yes lack of room is hell. I have huge hands and trying to push them in the small spot there sucks. Once I get it broke in I hope to see if the clutch does the trick for the high rpm lock out situations.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score

Thank you for this. I did not know such a item existed. After the break in period has finally happened this car is now a night and day difference. Shifts are like butter and can go in at 7500+ rpm without the lockouts now. Which now turns into a new problem as there is no traction up till the end of third gear. The Mcleod Clutch did the trick along with all of the supporting mods in the transmission area to make this happen.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
when i did my 13 and up clutch master i evacuated the A/C system then removed the receiver dryer. the clutch clip was extremely easy to get at then.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back