Breather vs Catch Can

SidneyGT

Reaction score
Taking environmental issues out of the equation, what's better, breather on the valve covers or a catch can.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
for the engine? possibly breathers venting away from the intake so oil doesnt possibly lower the effective octane.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Id go with a catch can, reason for that would be because when the oil is hot, it produces gases, gases that will degrade your engine oil if they are not sucked out. The catch-can will allow the intake to suck those gases up, while maintaining the life of your oil.

I used to be a Porsche Tech and 1997-up Boxster & 1998-up Carreras had constant issues with there Oil Breather system being overwhelmed by oil and eventually they'd smoke out the exhaust. I had a long conversation with Porsche of USA and I asked if I could do away with the AOS (Air to Oil Separator) system and replace it with a breather... They strongly advised me not to do that because of these Gases i mentioned above needed to be sucked from the crankcase to maintain oil viscosity/quality.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
Taking environmental issues out of the equation, what's better, breather on the valve covers or a catch can.

what ever you decide i dont think it will fucking matter about the enviroment .
thats to fucked up to even try and fix .
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON .

SidneyGT

Reaction score
what ever you decide i dont think it will fucking matter about the enviroment .
thats to fucked up to even try and fix .
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON .

I have used the search function and found its still an open question. I just thought I'd ask it again and see if there are any new ideas or thoughts. I see your response is typical of most forms / social media. Nothing constructive. So please do not resort to yelling and using profanity.

Have a nice day.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Sidney ! Both 07TGGT and myself also provided you with thread links to check out for yourself..

With that being said.. You'll find the info from both threads as very helpful in addressing any of your questions and concerns..

-Rocky

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I have used the search function and found its still an open question. I just thought I'd ask it again and see if there are any new ideas or thoughts. I see your response is typical of most forms / social media. Nothing constructive. So please do not resort to yelling and using profanity.

Have a nice day.

Seriously? You're going to whine like a little fucking baby when I provided you a fucking link that provides you information. GTFO.

Edit: If you still have a question, ask it in one of those threads where it is already being discussed, oh wait that makes to much sense and you want to be spoon fed answers...

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
This is discussed way too damn often around here. I've never had a problem using the stock setup without a breather or a catch can. Is it the best for it? No, but it was designed that way, how bad could it actually be?

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
seems like OP wanted to know if there has been any new info since those older threads had no conclusions and didnt know it was preferred to bump those older threads. ppl need to chill lmfao

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Love it, reminds me how this forum use to be. Search motherfucker. lol

Why would there be any new info on the subject, pretty cut and dry. Run whatever you want. Also define catch can a lot of guys run open or vented catch cans, not necessary a closed system with an oil separator. The open method 100% solves the problem and is cheap and easy. Any closed method or hybrid form of a closed method does help catch some stuff but will still allow oil junk and vapors into the intake and is not 100% effective. Do whichever you like for whatever reason you like and carry on.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
seems like OP wanted to know if there has been any new info since those older threads had no conclusions and didnt know it was preferred to bump those older threads. ppl need to chill lmfao

So how would the OP know as to whether or not the older threads had any conclusions.. Did he bother to even look after being provided with the older thread links from both myself and 07TGGT ?

Btw: The thread link I provided the OP isn't that old to begin with and can be located on page 4 of this forum..

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with taking a fresh discussion look at anything, it's why the forum is here. Definitely nothing wrong with pointing out threads that may have talked about it before. It's not like he is asking whether a loudmouth muffler is loud.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
How does someone who starts a thread that could possibly be "searched" tend to offend the hell out of other members here so badly? I simply don't enter the thread, "BRUTAL"??

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with taking a fresh discussion look at anything, it's why the forum is here. Definitely nothing wrong with pointing out threads that may have talked about it before. It's not like he is asking whether a loudmouth muffler is loud.
I agree, although if I seen a thread like you mentioned about a "loud-mouth muffler possibly being loud". It still wouldn't make even a little bit of difference to me?

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
to get back to op's question I started a thread on some new relevant info and mod that hasn't been addressed but mainly applies to boosted app's due to higher crankcase pressures. and there is evidence on this thread of what roll pcv plays in restricting evacuation of pressure due to orifice size without vacuum and what roll the baffling plays in keeping oil in the engine.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126095

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back