Brembo Upgrade to 2014 Base Mustang GT

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Maybe you should get rid of your transmission.

aaatran2.jpg

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Here is the Ebay listing for cheap $100 Chinese Tires. In the reviews they say you "Get What You Pay For" as they have very poor wet weather performance. My 16000 mile base 2014 Mustang GT has NEVER been in rain or snow since new. The Cheap Chinese tires from Lionhart shine with dry and hot weather on dry pavement. They can give that $350 big name tire a run for it's money. So a set of four 255/40/19s cost about $400. You can also sub out two 255s for two 275/40/19s for the same price. Lets face it, tires and brakes are wear items and in some races, they are replaced mid race. You never go to a race without a set of fresh tires and brakes in your support van.

DSC_0179.JPG

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
My junkyard pile Brembo wheels made in China from old Iron City beer cans left over from Steeler games all cleaned up and ready to go.

DSC_0181.JPG

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of stuff is made in China. This includes my Brembo Wheels. So why not Chinese tires with my Chinese Brembo wheels and Chinese Brembo brakes being pushed by my Chinese Mustang transmission?

.View attachment 75422

Many of the one's I've had were not made round. Some will even balance out, but still have vibrations from being out of round. My 14K alum car trailer came with Chinese tires. They had to give me 8 tires to get 4 good one's. Luckily, I have my own tire machine and balancer, or I never would have found out what the issue really was.

That goes for rims too. Almost every ford factory rim I have balances out by itself, to exactly zero. Only about half the Chinese rims I've tried do that. So you start out of balance even before you put tire on. I have not had vibe issues though, using Chinese rims with well made tires.

Here is a video of the most perfect tires I have ever bought, PS4S's. No variation in diameter and almost no variation in even the grooves as tire spins. that's extremely rare.
http://luxjo.supermotors.net/FUSION SPORT/24540R19 PILOT SPORT 4 STOCK WHEELS/20171007_154135.mp4

Last edited:

Olerodder

Reaction score
I purchased from Rock Auto, Raybestos Special Duty rust protected front Rotor 680497 for $38 each and Raybestos Race Rotor 68099OR on sale special for $15 each. That was most likely a mistake by me as the back rotors are not protected from rust. The 680990 without the R is the real mate to the front rotor but they were also $38 each. The race rotors are about the same spec but it's expected they will be trash in a few races going from 150mph to 40mph three or for times a lap. So the rotors do not get a chance to rust. The pads were MGD1050M fronts and MGD1082CH backs. They are a mid grade pad for street use and better then the SG standard grade versions. Pads Rotors and Shipping was a little under $200. Then another $200 for the Calipers on Amazon quick ship. Hell of a deal as no core needed. Then $100 for the back adaptors and $50 for the 20mm spacers. After all said and done, I could have used 17mm spacers and might even work with 15mm spacers at the very minimum clearance of 3.5mm.
If you are going to be tracking your car and doing 150 then down to 40 three times a lap...I'd suggest you get a separate master cylinder reservoir for your clutch. The Mustang shares a master cylinder with the brakes and clutch, and when the brake fluid gets hot you'll loose some clutch...Just a thought before you head to the track for those 150mph blasts!2014 Mustang1.jpg

DieHarder

Reaction score
Larry,

You're an adult. You can do whatever you want man. Just keep in mind that the top speed of your car is at least 140-150 mph; and higher in many cases. Ensure your tires are speed rated accordingly. For about $100 - 150 more you can buy a decent set of tires. You already invested in a decent brake setup. The only thing between you and the road are your tires. Traction is important in these cars; whether on the gas; in a corner or on the brakes.

Remember, you asked us what we thought. We've told you. Up to you whether you choose to take the advice.

Oh, and as OX1 recommends I'd have the tire shop spin your rims without tires to check the balance and roundness. I've bought three sets of rims (one brand new) and had to send them all back because they weren't round. Good luck.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well I went to an Achillies dealer. These tires are for drifting. I talked to several customers and they love them on their BMWs. No good for wet weather but perfect it drift racing. At $67 a tire one hell of a deal. Ebay is a little more. I guess there is some sort of movie called Tokyo Drift with pocket rockets. These are W98 Rated at 160+mph. They are 245/40/19 keeping the side wall short. I know for sure Mercedes Benz China has an office within walking distance of the Detroit Ford Plant. For sure my stock Brembo wheels made for Ford came from China.

ATTACH=full]75437[/ATTACH]

DSC_0182.JPG

Last edited:

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Well I went to an Achillies dealer. These tires are for drifting. I talked to several customers and they love them on their BMWs. No good for wet weather but perfect it drift racing. At $67 a tire one hell of a deal. Ebay is a little more. I guess there is some sort of movie called Tokyo Drift with pocket rockets. These are W98 Rated at 160+mph. They are 245/40/19 keeping the side wall short. I know for sure Mercedes Benz China has an office within walking distance of the Detroit Ford Plant. For sure my stock Brembo wheels made for Ford came from China.

ATTACH=full]75437[/ATTACH]

View attachment 75437

And those wheels were made to a specific std, with certain QA done for Ford. I don't think anyone is saying EVERYTHING Chinese made is junk, but a $67 perf tire could very well be. I mean, what's the worst that could happen, you blow tire up on the track and die??

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Everything you see here is most likely made in China.

DSC_0184.JPG

DieHarder

Reaction score
They're named Achilles for a reason. Hope they work out as you've intended. RIP :dead:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Just saying what is out there. Then Mr Tire said they would dispose of my old tires and wheels for a $20 disposal fee. That's not a bad deal.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
So it's killing myself with tires and spacers. Amazon has the 245 45 19 Achilles tires for $74 each. Since this is the size that came on the California Special and the short track people love these tires, I am going to order two to look at. With Amazon Discover mad money, they will be $140 to my door next week and I have until January 31 to return them. They are 25lbs each. The 275 35 19s are 41 lbs. I will decide on that later. This is way better then dealing with Craigslist people on used tires or the Goodyear place trying to talk me into a $1200 set of tires. When I installed the Brembo brakes, I knew I need spacers for the front. The advice was 20mm. With that I get 8.5mm of clearance. Minimum clearance is 3.5mm. The 15mm spacers only come with 14mm lugs for the post 2014 Mustangs. I have one of the last 17mm spacers with 1/2 inch lugs that I purchased right after I had the Brembo Breaks installed. In the mean time, I found 19 inch stock Brembo Wheels. I am not sure how thick a spacer can be before bearing damage. Any ideas? Picture of the 17mm spacers.
.DSC_0187.JPG

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I kind of agree. This is what it looks like now with a 20mm black painted spacer. It gives me about 8.5mm of clearance. They are only in the front. None are needed for the GT500 13.8 inch rotors in the back. The lighter black area is the rotor itself. A 17mm spacer will go to 5.5mm or perfect clearance. A 15mm spacer means 3.5mm clearance which is the posted minimum spec. These are not Chinese spacers but rather from a Southern California aero space company with high grade aluminum and CNC equipment or so they say. I am sure more Fast and Furious stuff.

ATTACH=full]75454[/ATTACH]

DSC_0189.JPG

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Amazon says my Achilles tires are coming from Detroit and will be here this Saturday.

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
I purchased from Rock Auto, Raybestos Special Duty rust protected front Rotor 680497 for $38 each and Raybestos Race Rotor 68099OR on sale special for $15 each. That was most likely a mistake by me as the back rotors are not protected from rust. The 680990 without the R is the real mate to the front rotor but they were also $38 each. The race rotors are about the same spec but it's expected they will be trash in a few races going from 150mph to 40mph three or for times a lap. So the rotors do not get a chance to rust. The pads were MGD1050M fronts and MGD1082CH backs. They are a mid grade pad for street use and better then the SG standard grade versions. Pads Rotors and Shipping was a little under $200. Then another $200 for the Calipers on Amazon quick ship. Hell of a deal as no core needed. Then $100 for the back adaptors and $50 for the 20mm spacers. After all said and done, I could have used 17mm spacers and might even work with 15mm spacers at the very minimum clearance of 3.5mm.
I don’t think the special coating is going to matter - I put those on my Veloster in April, it’s been a bit of a Disappointment. I’m not even in the Northern “Rust Belt” (and they haven’t been on long enough for road salt to rust anyway)

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Real race tires and brakes are not met to last very long. If I was racing at Summit Point, I would have a van full of $75 Achilles tires and $15 Raybestos rotors, a jack and a tool box.

DSC_0067.jpg

DieHarder

Reaction score
Larry, you weren't listening.... the New Black rims you bought (if they're stock) should clear the Brembo calipers without having to use spacers. Do yourself a favor. Jack up a front wheel. Pull one of the wheels and test fit one of the black rims. If it's the stock size rim it was designed to accommodate the Brembo caliper without having to use a spacer.

The stock tire that fits those rims are 255/40/19. Take one of those rims to any tire shop and they'll be glad to advise you regarding what will fit or will not.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I think you are misreading my posts. I am using the black Brembo wheels to get rid of the spacers. The issue is what tires do I use? I have two Achilles Sport twos on order from Amazon due tomorrow. They are on a truck on the PA Turnpike now. Size 245 45 19 which is the same size as the California Specials and more closer to the stock 235 50 18s. The stock wheels do need a spacer and what I am saying is the spacers can be as thin as 15mm with 20mm size maybe too thick.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
New Tires arrived by Amazon from Detroit. It took two days. They look great for $75 a tire to the door.

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back