Brembo Upgrade to 2014 Base Mustang GT

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What are the treadwear, temp and traction ratings on those?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I will look. Although I understand these are drift short track tires for dry pavement only made in Indonesia. They are not for wet or snow weather. I had a friend race asphalt short track with a Corvette. It was kind of like a typical dirt track but with asphalt or a very small Nascar race track. Tires and brakes were a wear item and were changed after two or three weekends of racing. He didn't race other cars but rather they would time each car with 5 or 10 laps. The lowest time won. Edit. Tread 400 Traction AA and Temp A. That's up there on Traction. These are 25 lbs where as the 275 35 19 tires are 41. I thought I would just order 2 and see what I think. I think I will go square and not add the extra 32 lbs to the car.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
My post has been moved to Chat although I think it might be more Tires and Wheels. My next step is TPMS sensors. These can be very expensive. Although RockAuto has them for $25 each. Anyone have issues with pressure sensors???? Then Amazon sold 50 of these Achilles tires in 2 days. So many they ran out.

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
New Tires arrived by Amazon from Detroit. It took two days. They look great for $75 a tire to the door.

View attachment 75520

View attachment 75521

View attachment 75522
The tread looks like they are using 2-generation-old Hankook Ventus V12 moulds.

Current V12:

87D26613-32C9-4DB2-90F5-C69D6A091C4D.jpeg

Doesn’t mean much, other than Hankook could be recouping costs on Obsolete Tooling.

That 400 Treadwear tells me those are probably hard as rocks - likely the reason they do poorly in the wet and/or cold. But I would expect furniture-sliders for El-Dorifto Tyres....

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yes I expect that. I test drove a 2020 ZR-1 in the cold and it was like driving on ice in dry weather. That is why they say summer only.

Last edited:

Stunner67

Reaction score
My hand built kit from Rock Auto and Amazon. Rock Auto supplied the Raybestos stuff. Amazon supplied the knockoff calipers and rear caliper adaptor for the GT500 rotors. Total cost was $550. Because the Mustang had very low miles, I decided not to replace the brake lines.

View attachment 75396
I spent about $510 for my home made kit, but I am using S550 GT calipers ($250 all day from the parts farm), Power Stop AR8184XPR Front Evolution Drilled & Slotted GT500 rotors. $180 for the pair on Amazon, and steel braided lines that were only $80. The brake pads that came with the calipers were still good, but I am getting new pads before I put this build on the road. Add another $80 for new carbon fiber/ceramic pads.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
With what wheels? The s550 Calipers are much bigger then the Brembo calipers. Of course my home made kit also included the back GT500 13.8 inch rotors. You just need the adapters to get these to fit even with the base wheels. With the Ford adaptors, you need to pull the axles. With the aluminum bolt on adapters, they just bolt on. With base wheels and the added front Brembo calipers, the minimum spacer needed is 15mm for 3.5mm clearance. The perfect spacer is 17mm for 5.5mm of clearance and the 20mm is really too much.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
So after 500 mile break in. I do seem to have several issues. One, the back brakes seem to be much hotter then the fronts. One cause might be parking brake drag and yes they are warm in one mile without stepping on the brakes. The fronts are stone cold. Then I have this slight whirling noise I never noticed before with the stock brakes. Thought it was the 20mm spacers in the front but the noise seems to be coming from the rear. I just got some TPMS sensors from RockAuto. Took 10 days to get here for the Brembo Wheels. The Wheels are still something I will move forward on when it gets warm again outside which seems to be Saint Patrick's day around here. The back brakes have a real shine on them and the fronts are still breaking in. I will post pictures later.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back