Brenspeed B302 Build and alot of other goodies

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Brenspeed B302 Build. UPDATE: Kenne Bell Mammoth Install!

Thanks to Brenspeed for everything they have done and currently doing with this build. :thumb:

As some of you might know I have had a thread for awhile now on how much HP from a B302 (http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48462) can be made with a Saleen blower. That will be continued a later date with the results from the install, as you will hear why.

I made a trip on Sunday 2/20 to Brenspeed from my home in Alabama (10 hour drive) to have a B302 installed and some other goodies. This is my second time traveling to Brenspeed for work to be performed on my car. The first time I had a Saleen Supershaker installed and was very impressed with their customer service. No place I know goes as far as they do to provided for their customers. That is why I came back for so much more to be done by them this time.

Basics of my build at Brenspeed:

B302 Brenspeed supercharger block
9.5:1 CP pistons
Forged Cobra Crank 8 bolt
Manley Forged rods
2.80 Pulley
18% Overdrive Crank
127350 Comp Cams
Comp spring and retainers
Stage 2 Livernois CNC heads
Saleen 6.5 upper lid
Saleen extreme CAI with upgrade MAF
FRPP 62MM TB
60lb injectors
GT500 Fuel pumps
Brenspeed FORE billet Fuel rails
Electric Water Pump
Detroit TruTrac
Moser Axles
MAC long Tube Headers
MAC prochamber no cats
SLP Loudmouth Mufflers
Thumprrr Tensioner and Saleen extension arm
Canton Oil pan
AFCO heat exchanger Dual Spal fans
Chiseled Performance 6 gallon trunk reservoir
Fidanze Alum flywheel
4.10 Gears
Dyno Tuned

Everything started out good with the build until it came time to install the clutch into the car. The Mcleod clutch was missing the bolts to attach it to the Fidanza flywheel. So they had to order some bolts and have them next day air to be able to continue with the install.The missing bolts put the install a day behind.

Once they recieve the bolts all goes well with the install. Thanks to the Brenspeed guys staying late to get it all done Wednesday night. The plan is for me to drive the car Thursday with a very safe tune, larger 4.0 pulley and 39lb injectors. This is to to put some miles on the car to break in the clutch and the motor before the dyno on Friday and stepping up the boost.

I pick the car up on Thursday morning and it sounds awesome, very exicted to see it run and hear it. This is all coming together and it is so far freaking awesome. I take the car out and it runs really well, I need to put about 350 to 400 miles on it before the end of the day to get everything broke in the best I can before the dyno. I get about 70 miles on it and then it happens, the car completly dies. I can't get it started, :wtf1:I cant get it to do anything.

So we get it towed back to Brenspeed to try to figuer out what happened. Chandler and George ( Thanks :thumb: ) stay very late trouble shooting it to see what happened, changing this and that, but nothing is helping it. The next day they find what has caused the car to quit all of sudden. The cam phaser on the drivers side failed, this caused the car to go out of timing and damaged the valves and possibly the pistons.

So now it is Friday and the car is in need of a camshaft, cam phaser, possible valves, pistons and maybe some head work. Unsure of the damage that it has caused until the head can come off and the pistons and valves can be inspected. The cam phaser is one of the few things I reused form the old motor and didn't replace with the install. My luck to have one fail on the new motor and heads and wipe out on side of the motor. I guess shit happens, just the way it is, very very disappointed :boohoo:

So now me and the wife have to be back to work on Monday and can't stay any longer with the car. So Brenspeed goes the extra mile and rents us a rental car so we can get back home and they will keep the car until it is fixed....

That is top notch company :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Thanks guys

They also tell me that they can most likely get all the parts replaced for no extra charge on me, sweet. I know it is not there fault for the phaser failure, it was a oem part that just broke, it happens. But it is great for them to step up and help me get it taken care of. :thumb:

So as of now they will keep the car until it is fixed and I can make it back up there in couple of weeks to pick it up. I still can't wait to see it run on the dyno, going to be awesome and I will finally know what a B302 will do!!!

Here are some of the pic's of the build over the days at Brenspeed.

P2200016.jpg

P2200021.jpg

P2200022.jpg

Shop Pic
P2210039.jpg

P2210042-1.jpg

Car is loaded down with parts.... LOL
P2210043-1.jpg

P2210054.jpg

P2210044.jpg

P2220100.jpg

P2220116.jpg

P2220112.jpg

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Robert,

Man that is just so many very nice parts you have there.
Excellent pictures of the process.
Your Mustang is really Super Sharp looking in the pictures.
I'm sure I am as well as others here waiting to see and read the rest of the story in the weeks to come.

Be interesting if we end up at Brenspeed around the same time.
I know for sure mine will not be going anywhere for the next 2-3 weeks in March.

Terry

BullittWow

mod-crazy-fool
Reaction score
Sorry that I missed you yesterday Robert, but I knew you had a long drive back home, and had to leave early. I picked up my B302 shortblock, and took a quick peek at your car. Very nice.....like your car and you sure have a lot of nice parts installed! Your car gets me fired up for my Shelby GT build! At least you were heading south yesterday. My drive down to Brenspeed was good, but halfway home heading north I got into heavy snow, and had to lock in the 4-wheel-drive. Saw about 20 cars slammed into the cement divider, or off the opposite side in the ditch. Made it home okay without a scratch. Thanks for posting all those cool pics, can't wait to see how it all turns out on the dyno, and your first impressions driving it after the motor is broke in. :beer:

351.jpg

352.jpg

355.jpg

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry that I missed you yesterday Robert, but I knew you had a long drive back home, and had to leave early. I picked up my B302 shortblock, and took a quick peek at your car. Very nice.....like your car and you sure have a lot of nice parts installed! Your car gets me fired up for my Shelby GT build! At least you were heading south yesterday. My drive down to Brenspeed was good, but halfway home heading north I got into heavy snow, and had to lock in the 4-wheel-drive. Saw about 20 cars slammed into the cement divider, or off the opposite side in the ditch. Made it home okay without a scratch. Thanks for posting all those cool pics, can't wait to see how it all turns out on the dyno, and your first impressions driving it after the motor is broke in. :beer:

351.jpg

352.jpg

355.jpg

Talk about some bad weather driving conditions.

tigerhonaker

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Robert,

Man that is just so many very nice parts you have there.
Excellent pictures of the process.
Your Mustang is really Super Sharp looking in the pictures.
I'm sure I am as well as others here waiting to see and read the rest of the story in the weeks to come.

Be interesting if we end up at Brenspeed around the same time.
I know for sure mine will not be going anywhere for the next 2-3 weeks in March.

Terry

Hoping to come back up on March 17th to the 19th. This really the next time I can take off work. Will have to play it by ear and wait for them to tell me that it is up and running again. I know they said that camshafts were in backorder and could be a bit on them. Also have to see if the head has been damaged by the valves getting bent.

I guess I will just have to wait and see, sure it will be worth the wait. :thumb:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Cant wait for it to be done so I can go for a ride...Props for Brenspeed to take over and go beyond the call to help out a customer

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hoping to come back up on March 17th to the 19th. This really the next time I can take off work. Will have to play it by ear and wait for them to tell me that it is up and running again. I know they said that camshafts were in backorder and could be a bit on them. Also have to see if the head has been damaged by the valves getting bent.

I guess I will just have to wait and see, sure it will be worth the wait. :thumb:

I think the wait will be worth it in the end.
I don't think there are many of us that like waiting but sometimes we just have no choice.
The Wait in your situation is going to be worth it though.
Man, you and I both know what will be waiting on you when you go pick up that Bad-Ass-Machine !!!

Did you see this Video.
Your Machine is in it.

tigerhonaker

Last edited:

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wish I could have have stayed longer, but had to get back to work on Monday. Thanks for the comments on my car, it has been a work in progress for awhile now. Hated to leave it there, but I know it is in good hands. :thumb:

I am very exicted to get the Stang back and to get to see it on the dyno. Justs one of those things that just happened, glad it happened there and not 6 hours down the road.

I know you got to be pump up about the B302 you picked up, it is a sweet motor. Let me know how it all turns out.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I think the wait will be worth it in the end.
I don't think there are many of us that like waiting but sometimes we just have no choice.
The Wait in your situation is going to be worth it though.
Man, you and I both know what will be waiting on you when you go pick up that Bad-Ass-Machine !!!

Did you see this Video.
Your Machine is in it.

tigerhonaker

Never seen that video, pretty cool. I messed with Brent the entire time about how much HP can we squeeze out of the Mustang. I would love to have that 600 hp mark... Will have to see in few weeks what he can do with it. Thanks Brent for all your help

The hood Brent speaks of is sitting here at the house waiting on the mustang... LOL.

TruFiber Mach 1 hood...
P2270009.jpg

Chandler made me a sweet little black cardboard plate to cover the hole up while I was up there, you can see it in the video. I was worried about the snow and rain getting on the new motor.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Something else I got to check out that was pretty cool, was a new Boss 302 intake installed and ran on the dyno. Was the first one they have got in and installed. It really is a nice piece and looks great on the 5.0 mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never seen that video, pretty cool. I messed with Brent the entire time about how much HP can we squeeze out of the Mustang. I would love to have that 600 hp mark... Will have to see in few weeks what he can do with it. Thanks Brent for all your help

The hood Brent speaks of is sitting here at the house waiting on the mustang... LOL.

TruFiber Mach 1 hood...
P2270009.jpg

Chandler made me a sweet little black cardboard plate to cover the hole up while I was up there, you can see it in the video. I was worried about the snow and rain getting on the new motor.
Say do you have a picture of the Trufiber hood uncovered.
Maybe not your's but just a picture of what it is?

Yes, I did catch the Chandler Hood Modification. :thumb:

I thought you might like to see that Video since it had your Bad-Boy Machine in it.
You have a very good looking Mustang.

tigerhonaker

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Say do you have a picture of the Trufiber hood uncovered.
Maybe not your's but just a picture of what it is?

Yes, I did catch the Chandler Hood Modification. :thumb:

I thought you might like to see that Video since it had your Bad-Boy Machine in it.
You have a very good looking Mustang.

tigerhonaker

Yep, this is the hood installed. I really digs the super snake stripes alot. Have been thinking about doing my with the solid stripe once I get the car back and get the hood painted.
B8WUwJgEGkKGrHqNg0EyrwpLPRQBM2UejwKw0_12.jpg

afterthoughtsauto_2142_66548943.jpg

Yeah Chandler hooked me up with a cover, does not look half bad. I really even like the hood with the hole in it. Might even check around and see what it might take to make a plexiglass cover for it to seal it up. Would be like the ZR1 hoods on the corvettes.
P2230153.jpg

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Had some questions on how the exhaust worked with SLP loudmouths and side exhaust.

Here is some pictures....

MAC prochamber, sorry old pictures
0409001441.jpg

SLP Loudmouths, same old crappy cell picture
308793468_photobucket_18846_.jpg

P2220103.jpg

This setup is very loud, no doubt. Brent was saying he could not wait to hear how it would sound on the dyno with side exhaust and loudmouths in the enclosed space.

One word..... LOUD :thumb:

1SickRedfire

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet build, looking forward to see how much boost you see with your combination! You will definately be maxing out the Saleen!

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet build, looking forward to see how much boost you see with your combination! You will definately be maxing out the Saleen!

Yep me too, with ported heads and open exhaust it will be hard to say how much boost it will make. Been begging Brent to run the 2.75 pulley or 2.8 on the Saleen with the 18% overdrive. He has been very reluctant as not wanting to damage the supercharger by overspinning it and causing a failuer. Which I can understand, I really dont want to have to buy a new supercharger right now... LOL...

I guess I Will have to wait and see, he knows that I would love to see 600rwhp with it. :beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back