Buying an 06 GT Premium 5spd and driving it 1600 miles home

IamDale

Reaction score
I came from 3rd gen Camaro's so seems about the same, I am already seeing the cam phazers suck.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I came from 3rd gen Camaro's so seems about the same, I am already seeing the cam phazers suck.

Welcome to the 3V Mustang brotherhood. :D Your car is a good blank canvas for some tasteful mods. You many miles does it have on the odometer?. You said it's a Deluxe model and that came from the factory with cloth seats, so a previous owner must have swapped in a set of red leather seats (which look nice by the way) from a Premium model.
The first thing I'd advise you to do, after you've installed a pair of mufflers, is to have the ECU scanned for fault codes. This will identify the source of the misfire. It could well be the spark plugs if they've never been changed since the car was new. In that case beware 'cause they can break when you try to extract them and have a Lisle tool handy.
The cam phasers can fail prematurely if the engine's frequently revved hard, or if the engine oil isn't changed regularly causing the VCT solenoids to clog up and starve the phasers of oil, but normally they'd be expected to last at least 150k miles like the rest of the timing system (chains, guides, tensioners).
Sixteen year old cars will come with teenage problems if previous owners didn't keep up with preventive maintenance, so be prepared to fix a few things first before you start modding (unless the mod is an upgrade and a fix at the same time). When you get the opportunity, raise the car on a lift and perform a thorough underbody inspection for possible damage, fluid leaks, and wear in suspension components (especially bushings).

BottleRocket

Reaction score
You're going to love your GT . . . more so when you get the bugs worked out. I'm on my 3rd 4.6 GT. The 1st was a was a low mile '08 which I traded for a Tundra at 125K. Took it to the local T & T a lot. It ran mid 14s with no traction. I regretted selling it immediately. Picked up a super low mile '08 GT (19K) and lost it to a deer strike. Picked up another low mile '08 GT/CS. This one already had most of the mods I had planned for my 2nd (the deer strike car). All I had to do was remove the Ford shorty headers and have my friend at my high school auto shop install the BBK long tubes and high flow cat mid pipe. It runs great although it's a little soft on the bottom end. I've already purchased a set of 4.10s and the install set to help the bottom end problem. Have fun, keep us posted!

Boss and GT-CS.jpg

IamDale

Reaction score
Heck ya that is awesome! I have had quite a few 3rd gen F-body's and this is a nice fresh take for me. I am hoping the timing chains and cam phazers fix the issue, then to start modding.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back