Cam Phaser Lockouts question

thejimmy2181

Reaction score
I know I need a tune after having cam phaser lockouts installed. My question is can the car be driven to the shop that is doing the dyno tuning or do I need to have it towed?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I would not start the engine without the proper tune adjustments after messing with the cam phasers.

thejimmy2181

Reaction score
ok thank you it will be towed to the other shop from the one doing the lockouts thank you for a response I will see if the shop can give me a temp tune to drive from shop to their dyno for the actual tune if not it will be towed

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Little late seeing this but for any future similar situation, as long as the cam phasers are timed correctly & physically locked in the normal full advance position (where they are locked by design when no engine oil pressure is present), then engine can be started & ran normally. The tune will freak out & set codes but will not stop engine from running.....much the same way if the VCT solenoids were unplugged & engine ran......how some test the VCT solenoids for sticking.....

This way you can drive the car to the tuner's shop to get tuned.....but there's nothing wrong w\ being safer about it & tow it there instead.

The big issue w\ locked cams in these 3V's is when someone is mechanically phasing the cams (physically setting the ICL to a position that does not coincide w\ the normal locked cam phaser full advance position) & doesn't make sure that their setting doesn't cause piston to valve interference prior to startup.........

Either way is fine so you do you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back