Can I Fix This Myself?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I just pulled all of the stripes off of my hood because they were starting to look weathered and worn. But before I do anything else I have to fix this little dent. It’s right in the middle so I can’t use a dolly on the underside while I hammer it down (arms too short). The hood seemed to thin to try and bang on it from one side without deforming the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I have a similar dent. I have had a few body guys look at it, both were pretty honest and said they were not sure if they could save it, and have it be less than what a new hood would cost.

So it would be around $1200, new hood plus prep and paint to fix.

So, if you have the skills, maybe you can fix it, but it's right in the middle of the hood.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have a similar dent. I have had a few body guys look at it, both were pretty honest and said they were not sure if they could save it, and have it be less than what a new hood would cost.

So it would be around $1200, new hood plus prep and paint to fix.

So, if you have the skills, maybe you can fix it, but it's right in the middle of the hood.

Yeah I can’t reach it from both sides. I have done a minimal amount of body work and used a hammer and dolly a couple of times BUT never on aluminum. I thought about heating before beating on it I’m just a little freaked out about distorting the whole hood. It just seems so thin and fragile.

I guess I could always give it a try and if I fuck it up I’m really not that much worse off than I am now.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Do the stripes go over this? IE you just need it flat/smooth and dont care about appearance since stripes will cover it? If that's the case just pound it flat and forget the chipping

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Put some sort of backing and dolly against the hood while it's closed or lowered? Dent puller from the back?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I can’t reach it from both sides. I have done a minimal amount of body work and used a hammer and dolly a couple of times BUT never on aluminum. I thought about heating before beating on it I’m just a little freaked out about distorting the whole hood. It just seems so thin and fragile.

I guess I could always give it a try and if I fuck it up I’m really not that much worse off than I am now.
So... consider... mine is right above my blower pulley. One shop said they could put a fake hood scoop over the area. Then they also said they may possibly be able to put in one of those vents. Idk...I personally would rather have nothing than almost something I want. So I normally will just go without if it's not exactly what I want.

My other thought was a new hood with a cowl. I like the looks and the function of letting the engine bay breath a bit more.

But my car sits motorless in my garage currently. So its not a priority to fix.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question...give it the 'ol "college try" and if it gets f'd, time for a new hood on your XMas list. :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I just pulled all of the stripes off of my hood because they were starting to look weathered and worn. But before I do anything else I have to fix this little dent. It’s right in the middle so I can’t use a dolly on the underside while I hammer it down (arms too short). The hood seemed to thin to try and bang on it from one side without deforming the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Separately from the matter of being able to reach both sides at the same time, I'm pretty sure you're going to need a "shrinking dolly" of appropriate shape/contour. A flat one won't do, and I'm more than a little concerned that using heat (obviously locally, not the whole hood surface) will make things worse instead of better.

Hammering and flat-faced dollies will stretch the metal, which is already stretched.

Norm

07 Boss

Reaction score
Separately from the matter of being able to reach both sides at the same time, I'm pretty sure you're going to need a "shrinking dolly" of appropriate shape/contour. A flat one won't do, and I'm more than a little concerned that using heat (obviously locally, not the whole hood surface) will make things worse instead of better.

Hammering and flat-faced dollies will stretch the metal, which is already stretched.

Norm

Well, I’m going to leave the dent. I will sand it and prime it to prevent any corrosion but I’m going to just throw a hood scoop over it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back