Can the TR-3650 be dropped without draining the fluid?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Link works, thanks!
For some reason, when I searched, I kept getting the single bushings and not the set.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Elimination of this shifter setup is a big part of why Tremec came out with the Magnum XL. It has a shifter that bolts directly to the transmission like previous transmissions did.

Stan
I never did understand how the 3650 could be like the 3550 in some respects and so different in the shifter arrangement. Especially after the Magnum XL showed that the 3550 shifter arrangement would work in the S197.

Norm

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
I never did understand how the 3650 could be like the 3550 in some respects and so different in the shifter arrangement. Especially after the Magnum XL showed that the 3550 shifter arrangement would work in the S197.

Norm

What are you saying is similar between a TR3550/TKO and a TR3650?
Yes, they are both Tremec designs.
Yes, they have a 3-rail fork system.

Parts in common?
The clip that holds the speedometer gear/tone wheel to the output shaft is the same. The tail seal and yoke for a TKO is the same as a TR3650, but not for a TR3550. The bearing/bushings for the rear shift rail in the tail housing are the same parts, the three little shift rail interlock "pills" are the same, and the drain plugs are the same. Beyond these I can't think of any other similarities...

GlassTop09

Reaction score
What’s the name of this piece it’s been driving me crazy. I need one and don’t know where to find it.
trans_zps78db5ce3.jpg
Looked in the Ford Workshop Manual & in there this piece that is circled is called a transmission shift link (manual lists this as part of the entire shifter linkage assembly....the part that attaches from the shifter to the trans) w\ the 10mm bolt that attaches it to the gear selector shaft being called the transmission shift linkage bolt.
To date I haven't found anywhere where this part is shown to be listed or available...…………………...so it looks like the junkyard is gonna be the place to find them.

FYI.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
What are you saying is similar between a TR3550/TKO and a TR3650?
Yes, they are both Tremec designs.
Yes, they have a 3-rail fork system.

Parts in common?
The clip that holds the speedometer gear/tone wheel to the output shaft is the same. The tail seal and yoke for a TKO is the same as a TR3650, but not for a TR3550. The bearing/bushings for the rear shift rail in the tail housing are the same parts, the three little shift rail interlock "pills" are the same, and the drain plugs are the same. Beyond these I can't think of any other similarities...
There seems to be a lot of commonality in the actual ratios. I understanding the TKOs to have evolved from the 3550, and that the 3650 appears to have been a next step.

Norm

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of commonality in the actual ratios. I understanding the TKOs to have evolved from the 3550, and that the 3650 appears to have been a next step.
Norm

Well, I guess one could say the TR3650 ratios are pretty similar to the TR3550/TKO-500, but virtually none of the parts are the same and there are no physical similarities. I do see where you are coming from, but I approach it from the insides. They are so different it is hard to believe they are both Tremec products!

The TR3550 and TKO-500 ratios are:
- 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00 and .68 or 0.82

The TKO-600 ratios are:
- 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00 and 0.64 or 0.82

The TR3650 ratios are:
- 3.38, 2.00, 1.32, 1.00 and 0.68 or 0.62 (rare 0.74, and custom 0.81)

Stan

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
BTW Tremec says,

"Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. I receive daily questions and comments on aftermarket transmission fluids. For every person that tells me that Product X is the best fluid to run in my transmissions, I get the same number of individuals that tell me Product X is the worst fluid you can put into my transmissions. I can only give you our recommendations for my product line. For the TR3650 the recommended fluid is DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF, (Texaco). Alternative fluids can be G.M. Synchromesh, G.M. part number 12345349, (semi-synthetic), or Mobil 1 ATF, (full synthetic). If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me."

How long ago was this? Both by email and telephonically, they wouldn't recommend Syncromesh to me back in early 2018

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back