Car won't start

V1nom

Reaction score
I have an 2006 Mustang GT. I was leaving for work and noticed my car was sputtering and just running like complete crap. Went to turn and over, soon as I did the car stalled and died then wouldn't start every that.

Now about month ago I replaced the fuel filter and few days later replaced all the spark plugs, car ran like a champ. I have cleaned and check all my battery cables, made sure it had right volts, etc. I put the key in and turn to the on position. All the interior lights came on, radio, etc no problem. There is gas inside which I filled up 2 days ago. Turned the key and the engine turns over like normal and no odd noises I am aware but still won't start.

What else should I check?

V1nom

Reaction score
I went to autozone and bought a new fuel pump, the whole unit. Installed the new one. It still won't start. Also tried spraying carb cleaner through the intake and it fired up but once I stopped the car died.

V1nom

Reaction score
Okay I got it to fire up. I checked the inertia switch on the driver side and it worked.

V1nom

Reaction score
So update.
I drove my car this morning to see how it ran and I noticed it is sputtering a bit when I accelerate. If I'm cruising at like 40-45mph the car runs fine just when accelerating it does.
I put some gas treatment in and also tried cleaning my Mass Airflow Sensor.

DieHarder

Reaction score
When's the last time you cleaned the throttle body?

An fix I ran across that seemed odd at first is cleaning the throttle body which an owner who was experiencing running/hesitation issues removed, cleaned, reinstalled and claimed it ran like new again. So all of you who are having idling/running problems and chasing other issues might want to try cleaning the throttle body.

Come to think of it when I first picked up my car I pulled mine, cleaned it with spray carb cleaner and it did run better. Started easier, ran smoother, less hesitation. Super easy to do and might be worth a try.

For reference:
Mustang Fuel Systems Explained: https://www.americanmuscle.com/return-and-returnless-fuel-systems-explained.html

V1nom

Reaction score
So I cleaned the throttle body and still experiencing the same thing.

V1nom

Reaction score
The only codes I've been getting are the 02 sensor.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Then, I recommend going back to basics... Air, Fuel, Spark. In my experience if the car ran well prior to the work then something you touched, replaced, added, moved, disconnected or didn't reconnect is likely the issue. If fuel and air are good (fuel is good/clean, present at adequate pressure and air is not a problem, no restrictions) I would start looking at all of the electrical components. I.e. Go through each and every electrical component/ground and connector/wire that you touched when you did the work. Did you disconnect any tubing of any type? Are you sure you reconnected everything? From what you're describing sounds like it's starved for fuel (inadequate fuel pressure, bad/dirty fuel/clogged injectors...) or an associated system (fuel/electrical).

If nothing pans out it might be time to take it into a dealer to have it hooked up to and run on a diagnostic scanner. That way every engine component is tested at under load and you're more likely to get to the root of the problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back