CHT reached 230 F

soma

Reaction score
Good day all,
I had just assembled my 3v engine. Started the motor and it was running fine. Until the temperature reached 230F and the fans didn't start. So I shut it off immediately. I realized that I forgot to connect the fan... So dump.
The question is, what sort of damage could be done at this temp?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
None. Newer cars are designed to run hotter to reduce emissions. 230 caught right away is no concern at all IMHO. Even if it had run that way for a few minutes. With a 170 T-stat and tehe fans set to kick on much lower my car operates normally 198-203 on 9.5 psi boost. The factory T-stat opens much hotter and the low/high fan settings are much higher.

You may wish to change the oil out as a precautionary since it was likely carrying more heat during that time just for peace of mind, but it would not likely be a major concern.

Last edited:

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
17lbs of boost and I never see over 200 with the fans set lower and 170 t stat even if I’m beating on it

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Good day all,
I had just assembled my 3v engine. Started the motor and it was running fine. Until the temperature reached 230F and the fans didn't start. So I shut it off immediately. I realized that I forgot to connect the fan... So dump.
The question is, what sort of damage could be done at this temp?

Probably none. Even a few minutes at that temp. won't do any harm.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back