Clay barred the car for the first time - Wow!!

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Car has nearly 100,000 miles on it. I bought it with 60,000 four years ago. I don't know how well the previous owner took car of it (but it was in good shape) but after 4 years of outdoor parking and daily driving the finish is looking a bit rough. This is the first time I've used a clay bar and didn't really know what to expect. I was amazed at how you can feel the difference. Now to get brave enough to polish it.

tat075-vi.jpg

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just really worried about adding more swirl marks or burning the paint. I figure I'll pick some stuff up and since my hood needs to have some work done to it and be repainted that I'd try that out first.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Nice. Did mine for the first time on Friday. I have a white car and it was a TON of work. now I just have to keep up with it.lol

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
If your worried about burning through the clear try some m105 and m205. Unlike other products m105 doesn't take near the working time others do to do the job

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I usually se uber pads but you can use whatever. You just want to make sure you use a cutting pad for the m105

rambln3v

Reaction score
You won't even come close to burning the paint if you're using a dual action polisher like the one from Griot's garage or Porter Cable. I'd recommend foam pads (buff-n-shine) or Hydro foam pads from Lake country. 105 and 205 from meguire's are great products and will yield great results even for a beginner. Do your homework. Start on a small spot like the deck lid. A little polish goes a long way. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just really worried about adding more swirl marks or burning the paint. I figure I'll pick some stuff up and since my hood needs to have some work done to it and be repainted that I'd try that out first.

you will add swirls/marring with a heavier compound. Which is why you go back over it with a finishing compound.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Looks good man! I have never clay barred a car before, but I bought some recently, and I am about ready to give it a go myself.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
You won't even come close to burning the paint if you're using a dual action polisher like the one from Griot's garage or Porter Cable. I'd recommend foam pads (buff-n-shine) or Hydro foam pads from Lake country. 105 and 205 from meguire's are great products and will yield great results even for a beginner. Do your homework. Start on a small spot like the deck lid. A little polish goes a long way. Perfect practice makes perfect.

What kind of speed range would I need? I see a really big range of polishers with some just being single speed.

rambln3v

Reaction score
I have little experience with rotary buffers on cars. I am more used to gel coats on yachts. However, I have been learning with the Dual action polisher. Usually spread around with speed 1. Then polish away on speed 6. There are a ton of write ups and youtube videos about it. Just type in paint correction, meguires, chemical guys, dual action porter cable. Any of those will lead to some great informative vids. Feel free to PM me any questions as well. If you have a second vehicle to learn on.. Even better.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Look into a Griots Garage DA. Its my first DA and its a whole other animal than a rotary; a whole lot easier to work with. I would get the Lake Country trio (Cyan, Tangerine, and Crimson) pads. With M101 or M105 and M205 you should be able to get the results you are looking for without dropping a ton of coin. I use the M- line for all of my polishing needs.

rambln3v

Reaction score
Look into a Griots Garage DA. Its my first DA and its a whole other animal than a rotary; a whole lot easier to work with. I would get the Lake Country trio (Cyan, Tangerine, and Crimson) pads. With M101 or M105 and M205 you should be able to get the results you are looking for without dropping a ton of coin. I use the M- line for all of my polishing needs.

^ yeah... what he said. I too use the Griots DA. Totally worth the money and lifetime warranty. And the Lake country pads are awesome. Simple trio and easy to remember. Cyan = Cut. Tangerine = Polish. Crimson = Finish. The v-line polishes from Chemical guys are good. I used those on my car. I warn you... you will get roped into the high end detailing product fetish so beware lol. Menzerna makes some good polishes but they have a ton of them and sometimes is hard to know which combo you need specifically. Unless you get their 4500. It's a finishing (jewelers polish) works extremely well but diminishes quickly.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I have little experience with rotary buffers on cars. I am more used to gel coats on yachts. However, I have been learning with the Dual action polisher. Usually spread around with speed 1. Then polish away on speed 6. There are a ton of write ups and youtube videos about it. Just type in paint correction, meguires, chemical guys, dual action porter cable. Any of those will lead to some great informative vids. Feel free to PM me any questions as well. If you have a second vehicle to learn on.. Even better.

Haha. Well, I do have this. Not sure how much paint is left on it to polish though. That is a good idea though.

truck2-vi.jpg

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score

These or are there pads for a DA? - http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-euro-foam-hand-applicators-trio.html

OK. Must be these I guess. - http://www.autogeek.net/hydro-tech-pads-3pack.html

Looks like autogeek has everything you mention.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back