Clay barred the car for the first time - Wow!!

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what i dont understand why it would need to be done that soon / often. Why would the finish develop significant swirl marks etc in only 6 months to a year if you are hand washing it properly with the proper materials. Swirls marks are from poor quality or dirty towels / applicators etc. Every 6 months to a year sounds like someone who takes their car to the drive thru car wash. With proper maintenance I could see maybe after 2 - 5 years maybe just to keep it in tip top shape. With regards to nxt 2.0 i thought i remember most saying it lasts a couple months.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Thats what i dont understand why it would need to be done that soon / often. Why would the finish develop significant swirl marks etc in only 6 months to a year if you are hand washing it properly with the proper materials. Swirls marks are from poor quality or dirty towels / applicators etc. Every 6 months to a year sounds like someone who takes their car to the drive thru car wash. With proper maintenance I could see maybe after 2 - 5 years maybe just to keep it in tip top shape. With regards to nxt 2.0 i thought i remember most saying it lasts a couple months.

You can still wash incorrectly with microfiber towels and induce marring and swirls. Every 6 months would be for the average Americans's car as they don't take proper car of the paint.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score

Every time you touch your car with a microfiber even, you are inducing swirls into the paint. Proper washing techniques just minimize this as much as possible. Imagine. Washing the car once a week for 6 months is 26 washes plus however many times you wipe it down between washes. You will have micromarring over time even using the proper techniques

Also even if the sealant lasts 6 months that doesn't mean it is protected from matting. Opticoat, c quartz or something like that would prevent it but because those are long term polymer coatings

Last edited:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Every time you touch your car with a microfiber even, you are inducing swirls into the paint. Proper washing techniques just minimize this as much as possible. Imagine. Washing the car once a week for 6 months is 26 washes plus however many times you wipe it down between washes. You will have micromarring over time even using the proper techniques

Also even if the sealant lasts 6 months that doesn't mean it is protected from matting. Opticoat, c quartz or something like that would prevent it but because those are long term polymer coatings

People wash their cars every week?? Who are these people? :crazy:

I kind of agree above. I could maybe see myself polishing it once a year. When I do take it to a car wash it is generally a touchless (just to rinse crap off). Never to one with those spinning brushes or even using those self serve ones with the brush/mop. That said though, with nearly 100,000 miles this car really needs to be finished properly. Aside from a few rock chips (which I need to fill in) it's primarily your normal swirl marks. The only issue is where the pinstripes used to be. Weather had cracked the pinstripping and I used a 3M rubber wheel eraser to remove it but you can still see where the residue is. I do have some polishing/sanding clothes (that I use for polishing paint jobs for scale modeling) so I realize that if the M105 doesn't work, I might want to use the M101 or even just start with the highest grade of my polishing clothes and work backwards to see if I can remove the residue/markings from those pinstripes. I do think I might just try on my truck first to test things out.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that synthetic sealants, like BFWD, Jet Seal 109, Zaino Z2/Z5 do not reduce or lessen the likelihood of defects on the paint to an extreme. They protect the paint against weather, dirt, dust is their actual design.

Nano coatings, like Opti-Coat, C3, C-Quartz etc lessen the likelihood of defects.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
True, everytime you touch it can marr to SOME extent. This is why I stopped washing my car once a week a long time ago and I never do any wipe downs between washings. As long as there is a coat of wax or sealant still on it, it still looks nice and shiny even with a little dust or waterspots, from anything other then up close. In fact I dont wash my car all winter long and only wash it on avg once every 3 weeks. Thats my philosophy....wash and touch it as little as you can but always keep it coated/sealed. Less marring and scratches and more longevity out of your sealant

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
True, everytime you touch it can marr to SOME extent. This is why I stopped washing my car once a week a long time ago and I never do any wipe downs between washings. As long as there is a coat of wax or sealant still on it, it still looks nice and shiny even with a little dust or waterspots, from anything other then up close. In fact I dont wash my car all winter long and only wash it on avg once every 3 weeks. Thats my philosophy....wash and touch it as little as you can but always keep it coated/sealed. Less marring and scratches and more longevity out of your sealant

Waxes and sealants reduce the marring. Nano coatings pretty much reduce the chance of marring by 75%. They are the way to go.

Jay,

Have you used any of the Eco-Wash systems from CG?

I have once, but my buddy who has the Zipcar contract locally uses it to do their daily wipe downs.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Waxes and sealants reduce the marring. Nano coatings pretty much reduce the chance of marring by 75%. They are the way to go.

I have once, but my buddy who has the Zipcar contract locally uses it to do their daily wipe downs.

I have heard nothing but good things but have yet to try it. I figured it would be nice to carry around for shows after the drive there.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score

Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing about nano coatings. Please enlighten me. Are they applied the same way or is it some type of professional and semi-permanent application?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing about nano coatings. Please enlighten me. Are they applied the same way or is it some type of professional and semi-permanent application?

it's been covered on here a lot

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
it's been covered on here a lot

This thread or this section of the forum? I'm new to this part of the forum. Is this another one of those do a search posts? honestly if thats all everyone did, there'd never be any new posts. Plus I like to get the latest and greatest info.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
This thread or this section of the forum? I'm new to this part of the forum. Is this another one of those do a search posts? honestly if thats all everyone did, there'd never be any new posts. Plus I like to get the latest and greatest info.

We've talked about it many many times.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87248&highlight=nano+coating

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89036&highlight=opti-coat

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66131&highlight=opti-coat

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63934&highlight=cquartz

Cliff notes, they are semi permanent coatings that apply "similar" to sealants (see youtube videos in regards to opti coat and cquartz application, as well as 22ple)

They harden since they are resin based and act as secondary clear coats. They reduce the likelihood or marring and scratching. Typically last about 2-3 years, can have sealants applied on top of them or carnauba waxes for looks only.

They do have refresh sprays to add slickness. Basically they are the ultimate in paint protection. Most nano coatings look similar to sealants although some like opti coat, actually have a warmer/glow that looks like waxes.

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Seer, you ever come accross brake dust and road grime that wouldn't come off with the clay? I clayed my white car last weekend and 99% of it looks great, but where the rear tires kick up dirt and shit the crap just wouldn't come off. from a bit of a distance it's not really noticable and overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out since its my daily, I was just curious as to what you thought.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Seer, you ever come accross brake dust and road grime that wouldn't come off with the clay? I clayed my white car last weekend and 99% of it looks great, but where the rear tires kick up dirt and shit the crap just wouldn't come off. from a bit of a distance it's not really noticable and overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out since its my daily, I was just curious as to what you thought.

Goo gone or another.automotive safe degreaser. You'll probably need to do a mild polishing after.

Another alternative to coating is a nano skin auto scrub

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Every time I log into one of these detailing threads to try to learn something, I just leave even more confused! :thud::crazy:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back