Clay barred the car for the first time - Wow!!

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
lol, I seem to learn something new every time. what has you confused?

I understand how he feels. I think it's because there are so many products and potentially so many stages that you can start to wonder what do I use and when do I use it, etc.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Yes, this! ^^^ Information overload for my simple mind I guess...LOL

I'll keep coming back!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I understand how he feels. I think it's because there are so many products and potentially so many stages that you can start to wonder what do I use and when do I use it, etc.

Body:
-You wash the car when needed
-You clay bar the car once to twice a year (pick the bar with the level of aggression you see fit or use a nano skin autoscrub with your DA, you can also remove Iron contamination from your paint in this step using Iron-X)
-You compound/polish the car once to twice a year
-You can use a glaze/filler to cover up minor swirling in between polishings (glazes must be used on bare surfaces)
-You seal the paint every 3-4 months (must be used on bare surfaces or on top of a compatible glaze)
-You can apply waxes on top of bare paint, a sealant, or a glaze once a month or more.
-You detail spray after each wash.

-A sealant has to go on a bare surface only, a wax can go over a sealant, a sealant cannot go over a wax.

-Optional products like nano coatings are recommended, they are applied every 2 years, make sure your surface is polished and defect free. Once the nano coating is applied, you no longer can polish the surface unless you want to remove the coating.

Wheels Tires, Wheel wells:
-Clean wheels with soap and water for routine maintenance if wheels are really dirty use a wheel cleaner/degreaser but you will need to reseal them.
-Wheels should be sealed every month or so with a good wheel sealant/wax (Rejex, Zoop, Opti-Seal or a nano coating). Sealing wheels aids in brake dust not building up on the wheels and allows for easier clean up with soap and water.
-Dress tires each wash or as needed.
-Clean wheel wells each wash with an All purpose cleaner. Dress them with a wheel well dressing like CG Bare Bones or a A Liquid Sprayable dressing.

Trim:
-Dress trim with a trim detailer (products like CG VRT or Ultima TTG work quite well)

Glass:
-Clean glass with every wash, use a glass waffle weave towel for best results.

Tips, Chrome etc
-Clean them each wash with an APC
-Treat them with a metal or chrome polish monthly.

Engine Bay:
-Clean the engine bay monthly or as needed. Spray engine bay down with a lightly cut APC or a degreaser. Agitate soiled areas, and spray it off. Dry engine bay and apply trim detailer to rubber, and plastic components.

Interior (Lethal/Vinyl)
-Clean interior as needed
-Condition Leather/Vinyl monthly
-Dress Leather/Vinyl monthly

Can always refer to the sticky too
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84488

Last edited:

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
We've talked about it many many times.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87248&highlight=nano+coating

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89036&highlight=opti-coat

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66131&highlight=opti-coat

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63934&highlight=cquartz

Cliff notes, they are semi permanent coatings that apply "similar" to sealants (see youtube videos in regards to opti coat and cquartz application, as well as 22ple)

They harden since they are resin based and act as secondary clear coats. They reduce the likelihood or marring and scratching. Typically last about 2-3 years, can have sealants applied on top of them or carnauba waxes for looks only.

They do have refresh sprays to add slickness. Basically they are the ultimate in paint protection. Most nano coatings look similar to sealants although some like opti coat, actually have a warmer/glow that looks like waxes.

wow it sounds like there is no downsides to using them! Do they offer UV protection to reduce sun fade too?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
wow it sounds like there is no downsides to using them! Do they offer UV protection to reduce sun fade too?

Pretty much every detailing sealant/wax offers this. Put down the zaino marketing book :D Also UV protection has been in every modern clear coat for the past 10 years.

But since we are on the topic of UV protection... here is a test of 4 products, zaino being one of them. Pretty much all are considered to be failures, as they all passed about 90% of UV light. The best protection against UV is your factory clear coat, don't let someone sell you snake oil, believe me I am not a zaino hater but their marketing is quite deceiving. Essentially they are stating "Zaino has UV protection" so the zealouts take that for gospel, not realizing, so does pretty much every product, lol. It's kind of like if GM went on a marketing campaign saying "The Camaro has wheels!"

So in short, expecting massive UV protection from a detailing product is a farse.

I will tell you one thing zaino does really well that they do not advertise. That is muting metalics in paints and making them look duller than they should.

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Pretty much every detailing sealant/wax offers this. Put down the zaino marketing book :D Also UV protection has been in every modern clear coat for the past 10 years.

But since we are on the topic of UV protection... here is a test of 4 products, zaino being one of them. Pretty much all are considered to be failures, as they all passed about 100% of UV light. The best protection against UV is your factory clear coat, don't let someone sell you snake oil, believe me I am not a zaino hater but their marketing is quite deceiving. Essentially they are stating "Zaino has UV protection" so the zealouts take that for gospel, not realizing, so does pretty much every product, lol. It's kind of like if GM went on a marketing campaign saying "The Camaro has wheels!"

So in short, expecting massive UV protection from a detailing product is a farse.

I will tell you one thing zaino does really well that they do not advertise. That is muting metalics in paints and making them look duller than they should.

fixed that for you. If you notice he tested the glass at the beginning and said it was at 89%, after the coatings, they were all at 89% so there was zero effect. This makes me sad, I was hoping that the sealant and wax I put on my stripes would help keep them from fading. We will see...

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
fixed that for you. If you notice he tested the glass at the beginning and said it was at 89%, after the coatings, they were all at 89% so there was zero effect. This makes me sad, I was hoping that the sealant and wax I put on my stripes would help keep them from fading. We will see...

Your paint will be fine though :D

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
So for those of us who dont garage our cars there is nothing we can do to stop the sun fade other than a car cover? (Which I wont use)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So for those of us who dont garage our cars there is nothing we can do to stop the sun fade other than a car cover? (Which I wont use)

Sun fade is not as much of an issue with today's clear coats vs. what it was years ago.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thats good to hear. When I had my black 94 5.0 after 7 years of being outside 24/7 I definately noticed fading. So hopefully I wont have that issue with my 2012.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
DA's only cause scratches and swirls poorly prepped/cleaned paint. I have NEVER heard of PC burning through paint unless the guy put his entire body weight on the fucking thing and sat there for hours.

:shrug:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
DA's only cause scratches and swirls poorly prepped/cleaned paint. I have NEVER heard of PC burning through paint unless the guy put his entire body weight on the fucking thing and sat there for hours.

:shrug:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

You would probably bog the DA's motor down before that happened. Rule of thumb is about 10lbs of pressure.

Don't know what that is... put the DA on a bathroom scale and push down slightly.

rambln3v

Reaction score
yeah... you asked for it you def got it. I figured this thread would go down this road haha.. In short... If you spend the time to correct your paint, no need for a glaze, glaze = filler... = waste of time and money if you did the correction right. Sealant, I'd use Black fire wet diamond's paint protection, menzerna's power lock, iron gloss from dodo juice, or even Ammo's skin I think it is called. IF you wanna spend money for a extremely durable sealant go with Wolf's chemical's Hard Body but be careful to follow the directions to a tee. KILLER PRODUCT! IF you're on a budget. Go with Four star ultimate paint protection. Good for the price. EVeryone's input on here has been great. There are so many combos that not one is infinitely perfect. Experiment. Get on the detailing forums. Watch vids, read the starter threads. If you take one thing away from all us obsessed detailers it's get this product... Dilute it. And use it over and over and over again. The best $20 I ever spent.
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html
This one concentrated bottle I've used to make over 10 bottles on over 10 cars. Including wipe downs on mine. Perfect alternative to a wash. Great lubricant as you dry or clay bar your car. It is amazing on glass, most importantly it doesn't effect the sealant or wax on your car.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Ultima Waterless Wash as a Detail spray dilluted 22:1 has been pushed for awhile, its great stuff.

I prefer Optimum Opti-coat vs. Wolf's. Wolf's is kind've a cheap coating, whereas Opti-coat is pretty much the best.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I think I might have to pay a detailer to do the opti coat. You cant really do it outside can you? I dont have room in my garage to do it.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I think I might have to pay a detailer to do the opti coat. You cant really do it outside can you? I dont have room in my garage to do it.

You can, if youre not in the sun. Most detailers charge a good bit to apply nano coatings, due to all of the leveling etc that could need to be done but they're well worth it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back