Cleaning Air Filter

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Forty61, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Forty61

Forty61 forum member

Seems there’s a wealth of differing opinions out there so figured I may as well ask you guys what you’re doing on your cars..

I have a JLT intake on my car, filter is in decent shape but pretty overdue for a cleaning or replacement. While I have the car on stands I’m going to do some of the things I’ve been putting off and the filter is one of them. Best method to clean the actual element? Should I buy a cleaning solvent or just use soapy water and dry it in the sun? Is re-oiling the filter really necessary? Should I just buy a new filter and be done with it?

I know this isn’t as exciting as coming in here with a question about a blower or changing suspension components but let me know your process!

2. pass1over

pass1over I like it LOW

I bought a K&N recharge kit to use on my JLT filter. I think I've gotten about 6 or so cleanings out of the kit and there's still enough for at least 3 or 4 more. Been doing this for 10+ years and 190k+ miles with a JLT filter

Follow directions but spray hose from inside the filter so you wash stuff out of it and not into the filter.

delbecque, OLD 96 and Huberoy123 like this.
  3. Midlife Crises

Midlife Crises Senior Member

I’ve used K&N filters for years and currently a Roush filter. Wash them with warm water and dish washing liquid, lightly brush the stubborn spots and blow the water out from the inside with compressed air. Don’t get carried away with the air. Let them dry overnight and oil with K&N filter oil. Let the filter set overnight again, blow the access oil out of the filter, wipe it off real well and it’s ready to go. If you have two filters you can store a clean, oiled filter in a plastic bag until you need it.:driver:
    By the way; Gauze air filters without oil don’t filter anything.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  4. crjackson

crjackson Member

I recently went through this. I just bought a new Roush filter, the cleaned the old one with the K & N Kit. I was amazed how filthy it was, and how clean it came. I haven’t oiled yet, as I’m’m good for now, but I guess I should go ahead and do that too. This way I’ll always have a spare ready to go.

Midlife Crises likes this.
  5. Midlife Crises

Midlife Crises Senior Member

Don’t forget the plastic bag. Everything in the world will stick to the filter after its oiled

6. crjackson

crjackson Member

Yeah, I didn’t forget. Thanks.

delbecque likes this.
  7. Laga

Laga Senior Member

Instead of compressed air, use a shop vac. High volume, low pressure will not harm the cotton element.

8. jewc75

jewc75 S197 Junkie S197 Team Member

I use simple green to clean mine and let it dry in the sun. I have a spare as well.

MasterofDisaster and crjackson like this.
  9. OLD 96

OLD 96 Junior Member

I just recently got my 2008 GT. It has K&N filter. I bought the K&N cleaner & recharge kit and followed the instructions. It was pretty dirty.

10. atomicpunk

atomicpunk Junior Member

I used the K&N kit and Simple Green to clean my filters, sprayed it from the back with water, let it dry in the sun.

11. Forty61

Forty61 forum member

Thanks for the input guys, I picked up a new filter from Summit since I was passing by, I’ll slap it on and clean the old one as a spare for the next change.

I’ll probably pick up the K&N kit to re-oil it, seems to be a lot of interesting opinions on alternatives including WD-40 and ATF!

12. Laga

Laga Senior Member

Don’t listen to them. Only use the oil designed for the filter. And use less than you think is necessary. It’s easy to over oil.

13. GriffX

GriffX Member

I have some problems with the oil spray. I find it hard to get an even layer of oil, especially inside the ribs. Unfortunately there is no UV active dye inside. Is there some good advice to get it even? I sprayed it tangential from both directions.

14. Laga

Laga Senior Member

Don’t worry about it. The oil will even itself out by wicking through the cotton. Check it again in a week and look for light colored areas and then touch up if necessary.

15. Forty61

Forty61 forum member

Thats the plan, just found it interesting the weird solutions people have. I’ll probably try find the oil to put in a drip bottle rather than the spray if possible.

16. Laga

Laga Senior Member

My buddy had a 04 Bullitt. He over oiled the K&N and it threw a bunch of codes. It was easy to tell because there was a puddle of red oil under the filter.
    Sadly, about a month later, his teen age kid did an oil change, and the rubber gasket of the old oil filter stuck to the block. He didn’t notice and put the new filter over it. By the time he realized something was wrong on the test drive, the engine was toast.

17. crjackson

crjackson Member

Stupid ass kids! This is not something you want them to learn by experience!

2A1AF4CE-7987-4338-9BB8-98660FC66EDF.jpeg

riffraff and Pentalab like this.
  18. totaljustice

totaljustice Junior Member

Something I do is after oiling I will set the filter on it's side resting on folded up paper towel and let that sit overnight. Then gravity helps wick any excess oil out of the filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.