convertible top switch speed cut off bypass

06ragtopgt

Reaction score
Anyone out there with a drop top knows it will stop operating at vehicle speeds above 2-3 mph. Has anyone found a way to bypass this?

06ragtopgt

Reaction score
I guess it would make a good wind brake huh? And I agree it could be harmful if used incorrectly. Lets say you're creeping through a parking lot and want to pop that top, its very annoying to have to stop the car. And at lets say 5-7 MPH, you couldn't hurt anything. That's the only reason behind my question guys.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Assuming S197 rag tops opperate like every other Mustang rag top then they are governed by the parking brake. So, pop the break up 1 or 2 clicks to engage the switch without actually applying the break itself and the top will operate. Simple.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
DO you think we can find anyone to try it at the strip? THat video would be on every car sight within hours of it happening!

Well, the OP can lend me his ride and I'll test it out.
Next big thing for tuners, "Deploy the chute! VTEC kicked in!"

NinjaKiwi84

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming S197 rag tops opperate like every other Mustang rag top then they are governed by the parking brake. So, pop the break up 1 or 2 clicks to engage the switch without actually applying the break itself and the top will operate. Simple.

My 05 GTs top will go up or down as long as I'm not moving or maybe 1 or 2 MPH. The parking brake does not have to be engages to activate the top.

Sounds like a stupid thing to mod. The only thing with the switch I would do would be the 1 touch up/down from American Muscle.

Last edited:

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
anybody else notice that this got move to the DIY section?? DIY for track parachute? LMAO

06ragtopgt

Reaction score
I apologize for not being super familiar for the proper protocol of posting on this site and it's sections guys, I am a new member. You guys are a rough crowd, all good though I can handle it. But seriously, no one sees my genuine reasoning behind wanting to override this though?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I apologize for not being super familiar for the proper protocol of posting on this site and it's sections guys, I am a new member. You guys are a rough crowd, all good though I can handle it. But seriously, no one sees my genuine reasoning behind wanting to override this though?

No.

It takes, what, 2 minutes to put the top down? Pull in park and put the top down. Or stop before you get to the parking lot you want to style into and put the top down, show up with it down.

Look at how cool I am pulling and putting my top down at the same time. Don't hate the playa....

06ragtopgt

Reaction score
...hate the game. You guys win this one, I'm throwing in the towel, but one day I will have a legitamite question, and may be fortunate enough to get a legitamite answer. My only satisfaction lies in knowing there are no stupid questions, just stupid people, back to the short bus I go...

JimC

Reaction score

Not the S197, it isn't like the older Mustangs and the parking brake has nothing to do with the top. The top is tied to speed and if you are moving it won't go up or down.

To the OP, I wouldn't try to bypass that switch. If you've ever put the top up or down on a windy day you can see it gets pushed quite a bit.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it obstruct your view out the rear of the car if you were trying to drop the top while moving? I know it would be only for a second...but theres some dumbass out there that would try it while backing up and run over thier mother-in-law and then get sued by his wife for being stupid.

RH

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it obstruct your view out the rear of the car if you were trying to drop the top while moving? I know it would be only for a second...but theres some dumbass out there that would try it while backing up and run over thier mother-in-law and then get sued by his wife for being stupid.

RH

Lol...sued by his wife for being stupid. :roflmao:

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not the S197, it isn't like the older Mustangs and the parking brake has nothing to do with the top. The top is tied to speed and if you are moving it won't go up or down.

To the OP, I wouldn't try to bypass that switch. If you've ever put the top up or down on a windy day you can see it gets pushed quite a bit.

I can see the use in the mod. Living in Florida now, I have found that you can have sunshine right above you, yet you're still being pissed/rained on. You can actually drive into rain and not know until you're looking at 5he droplets on your windshield. So slowing down to say 5-10 mph and being able to put the top up, would be of benefit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back