Convincing the Wife to Buy a Saleen Series VI

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
As we all know, by far the hardest part of getting a JDM Stage 1 Saleen Series VI supercharger kit is convincing your wife that the purchase of said Chevrolet destroyer is a good idea (read: somehow benefits her).

I think we've all tried the first two arguments:
1. A more powerful car makes me have a more positive self image, which directly improves how I treat you and how I view our relationship.
2. Having a complicated but relatively straightforward and manageable project with the car is an excellent bonding time for myself and offspring.

And failed miserably with that reasoning. Perhaps it elicited a sarcastic chuckle or two from the boss.

Well, we have to approach the problem from a new angle of attack, by showing the wife how JDM's Stage 1 kit directly meets her deepest desires - no, it won't make you last 30 minutes in bed - and no, when you hit boost diamonds will not magically fly out of the HVAC vents and into her lap. So we'll try for her third weakness: greenbacks.

For sake of argument let's make a few assumptions:
1. You are an extremely responsible driver.
2. You have a basic set of hand tools and one free weekend.
3. Your 2005 Mustang GT is completely bone stock.
4. 93 octane fuel holds at its current Freehold, NJ price of $4.07/gallon.

Being a responsible driver, you usually get about 20mpg mixed city and highway driving. Also being a responsible driver, you ALWAYS fill up your tank at 1/4 full (12.0 gallons refill). Your average refill is every 240 miles.

The initial cost of the supercharger kit is $5895.00 plus $105 shipping ($6000, don't you love the round numbers?). And like all JDM customers, the installation goes silky smooth without issue and you're out burning rubber before long. Despite the tune, you get 15mpg on your first tank due to your increased WOT occurrence.

After the first fill up, you get back to your regular routine and notice, like many, on your JDM tune you're actually getting BETTER fuel economy than before when you don't drive like a leadfoot, and you're soon enjoying your 430whp and 22mpg.

Your drive to/work and for enjoyment every week is exactly 480 miles, so you fill up EXACTLY twice every week. So your fuel cost used to be $97.68 per week. Well on that first tank you cost yourself money, it took 32 gallons to go your normal distance ($130.24). So with the cost of the supercharger, your wife sees a total loss of $6032.56.

With the added fuel economy from the JDM tune, you're achieving your total weekly needed distance with only 21.82 gallons, saving you $8.88 per week. Your investment will pay itself back in just a little over 13 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 3 days, and four hours. As the price of gas rises, your payback timeframe goes down even more quickly.

There you have it gentlemen, not only can your Saleen supercharged, JDM tuned Mustang help free the world of mullet-armed Chevrolet owners, it practically plants trees in its wake it is so environmentally friendly and generates cash just by driving it. If that won't convince the wife, nothing will. Say no to the stock market, IRAs and real estate investment, and say hello to long term financial gain through Saleen supercharging.

So there are no more excuses for you. You live too far away? Our parts are straightforward enough and have such clear instructions and you can call us so quickly with issues that a partially mentally retarded chimpanzee could accomplish the install in a weekend. We offer 48 continental US door to door enclosed trailer transport. Now we've even provided you ammunition against the enemy...err...spouse.

No more excuses. Better be calling by Friday or you mind as well turn in your manlihood cards. Tight on cash? We're all sponsored by VISA...

:beer:

<DISCLAIMER: The above post was written slightly tired and with the thorough use of tongue-in-cheek humor. It is intended to only be read and responded to by those that possess a sense of humor.>

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OMFG...I haven't read/heard so much bullshit since, um, well, probably since I used something similar on my spouse...and it worked. :clap:

Listen to Chris guys, he does not quite, but sort of and kind of, knows what he's saying.

Mick

forum member
Reaction score
Chris I am in shock, I never knew you knew some much about life. And to think I thought you were just another punk ass kid. You do amaze me, keep up the good salesmanship. Now as talked about before, DISCOUNT buddy?

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, all I gots to say is you're married to the wrong woman if you have to go thru all this rigamarole to convince her to let you get a Saleen blower.

Let's try the direct approach - "Hey babe, if you let me get blown, you can get to the mall in less time and still be able to make that 2pm pedicure appointment with time to spare when I ask you to take it for a spin and fill up the tank for me. Not to mention, that happy feeling you'll get deep down from hearing that whine."

Hell, tell her to call me and I'll walk her thru the benefits/advantages. It's not that hard when another chick is in your corner and willing to go to bat for the home team.

Great sales job, by the way....getting mine tuned by you all is on my wish list for this year. Maybe my Christmas present to myself, hmm.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've never needed "permission" to buy anything in my house. Not superchargers, big screen TVs, cameras, cars, etc. It's just the way it is. I make the money, I handle the finances, and I know what we can or can't afford.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
Well I tried it and still got the Are you fuckin crazy reply. Not on my car your not, go buy your own. Knowing full well we cannot afford another one.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've never needed "permission" to buy anything in my house. Not superchargers, big screen TVs, cameras, cars, etc. It's just the way it is. I make the money, I handle the finances, and I know what we can or can't afford.

AYMEN BROTHER!!

And Chris, where did you find the time to write that up? Do you work?
jk

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I told my wife I was going to put a supercharger on the car all she asked was if we could go on a cruise. Of course I said yes. I look at it this way, I got the charger and I got to go on a cruise. So I got double the enjoyment.

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
AYMEN BROTHER!!

And Chris, where did you find the time to write that up? Do you work?
jk

I do get paid, but I'm not sure "work" is the word I would use.
Original post was made on a Saturday at nearly midnight. :wtf:

Mick, there is always a special discount for you buddy. :beer:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
convincing your wife ........

I pretty much quit reading after those three words. Why the hell would anyone have to "convence" her of anything? Not her car, not her money, not her issue to worry about...

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
We aren't all tough guys. Some of us have to get along with the person we said our vows to in order to keep the drama at our houses at an acceptable level.

My wife makes more money than I do, but talking to her about what I do to the car before I do it usually results in her being happy with the progress and the outcome and the speedbumps in the modifying road. It usually also means I have a second set of willing hands to help out.

2007grabberGT

forum member
Reaction score
We aren't all tough guys. Some of us have to get along with the person we said our vows to in order to keep the drama at our houses at an acceptable level.

My wife makes more money than I do, but talking to her about what I do to the car before I do it usually results in her being happy with the progress and the outcome and the speedbumps in the modifying road. It usually also means I have a second set of willing hands to help out.

:beer:+1

My Wife is THE reason I'm driving a S197!!!!!

don_w

Reaction score
It isn't about being tough... it's about fulfilling the role as head of the household. It's not a democracy... it's a marriage. And marriage partners must fill different roles for it to work. My wife Donna and I are in our 30th year of marriage, so something must be working OK. And there are a lot of guys here who have met Donna, and they can tell you she is not some meek, quiet wallflower. She will speak her mind when she needs to, but she also realizes when it's not her call. She is entitled to her opinions, and will definitely let me know what those are... but in the end, the decision is still mine.

It usually also means I have a second set of willing hands to help out.
Oh that's easy for me. Since Donna is into drag racing (almost) as much as I am, she's more than willing to help out. For example, one of her track day duties is handling her share of the tire swapping job. In fact, we actually refer to the cordless impact wrench as the "Girl Tool", since she's the one who uses it all the time. haha.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
:beer:+1

My Wife is THE reason I'm driving a S197!!!!!

Ditto.

My wife also makes more money than I do and on top of that like i said it is her car technically. Besides I have my truck and it is Blown. Granted i would love to put a supercharger on the Stang but no biog deal.

And i do not need permission or have to really convince the wife of anything. But we make decisions as a couple.

And i took this post as more of a joke thing than anything hence my attempt at a comedic reply.

And while I agree with some of the points Don has made, I am technically the one who makes final decisions (wife prefers it that way) yet it is a Democracy in my house hold. I simply have Veto power.

Last edited:

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
don, you're being too serious for a joke thread. glad it works out for you, acting like that would get me punched in the face.

don_w

Reaction score
acting like that would get me punched in the face.
You have my condolences... :kinky:

I'm just glad I never let my relationship get to that point. In the words of Mel Brooks: "It's good to be the King". LOL

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Funny idea, Chris. I like the numbers game....good approach. :roflmao:

No wife here so no need to convince anybody. (Probably something to do with the asshole part of my signature......and Don's.) Besides........I've got twins and they out-mph the twin screws in high gear. Just ask Gamino. :roflmao:

Still....funny post! Nice work, Chris.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As ^^^ said, turbos are the way to go if you're arguing for fuel economy. Not to mention they make more power.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Besides........I've got twins and they out-mph the twin screws in high gear. Just ask Gamino. :roflmao:

Sorry SD, I didn't hear you, I was watching the videos of Joes car running a 9.85@ 135

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back