Crossmember exhaust mounts

Cammed GT

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone produces the mounts aftermarket for the exhaust hangers? I'm chasing a clunking noise over bumps and this seems to be the next link possibly. Only option I have found so far is a new crossmember from ford. Any other ideas? Thanks all

07 Boss

Reaction score
What exactly are you looking to do? Replace the current hanger mounts or put some new ones in?

Cammed GT

Reaction score
No sir, it seems there is a rattle coming from the hanger for the midpipe that is on the crossmember. Was looking to see if there were any options other than replacing the whole member on my 05 manual.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a TSB on that noise? Anything you can use off a V6 crossmember?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
The mounts for the exhaust on the transmission cross member were there for 2005 and 2006. Because of interior noise resonance, Ford put out a TSB to remove them. Sometime in the 2007 timeframe (mid-year?), they stopped using them from the factory. So, the exhaust is suspended solely by the headers/manifolds and the muffler mounts.

Many aftermarket mid-pipes still have the mid-pipe hangers but, of course, unless you have an early model that has not had the TSB performed, there are no mounts in which to stick the hangers. Some folks actually cut the hangers off he exhaust -- that's what I did. Made it easier to remove the mount to change the shift shaft seal and to change the shifter. Since they weren't sticking into any mounts, they served no purpose anyway.

From what I have read, when the mounts were first removed, you had to buy the entire cross member to get them. I doubt that Ford still makes the cross member with the mounts, but you could try -- likely the cross member you have already priced from Ford has no mounts on it. Other than that, you would have to find an 05/06 that has not had the TSB performed, or you will have to fabricate something.

Cammed GT

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, I will get it on the lift at the end of the day and get them off!
Mucho appreciated!

Rick Simons

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. I've been chasing a rattle/buzz at about 2050-2100 rpm on my car forever, or at least as long as I've had the urethane motor mounts on it. I recently read about the TSB and got underneath, and sure enough, the pipe mounts rattled when I banged on 'em. Out came the die grinder, and 20 seconds later they here history. However.... Mr. Genius here (me, that is) didn't consider the flex joints I had installed between the pipe mid-mounts and the x-pipe/tailpipe connection.. Without the mid-mounts the whole system sagged way too much. Now I'm reworking the mid mounts. I have a couple of universal mounts that I might try to fit, or I may just go to ebay and get another crossmember (there are several on there).

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have no hangars at the crossmember. Not needed, but I am thinking of adding them.
The pipe does flex, and with the stock mani/oe cats, the flange gasket did blow on the driver side, top half of gasket blew out. Consistent with the way the pipe stressed it.
With LTs now, Ihad no issues not having a midship hanger, but still feel its not a bad idea to have. And yet I have not gotten motivated to fab. lol

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Here's what I did with mine this weekend. Used 1 x 1/4" aluminum flat bar bolted to the crossmember with M8 x 1.25 bolts after drilling/tapping the crossmember. The center stud is an M10 x 30 wheel stud pressed into the flat bar. Hanger is a Walker 36518 with the outer part of the mounting tab cut off.
20210918_195935.jpg

20210918_195935.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back