Detailing Questions-Answered

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Had to google ipa wipedown haha. So pretty much water down 70% alcohol in a spray bottle and wipe down with that right?

28ONE

Reaction score
After you are done polishing, you will need to fill a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol about 90% of the way and the other 10% with dawn. Spray down the entire vehicle and give it a quick wipe with a good microfiber, do this twice, then spray down the entire vehicle with water.

This will wash away any left over polishing oils, leaving you with your final corrected surface.

After this apply your sealants and waxes.

This is usually what I've done in the past. You could Meg's Final Inspection 34 to also remove the polish oils. I prefer Meg's over IPA wiped ownwiped own

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Do I dry off the water before laying on the blacklight? Then let the blacklight cure overnight before putting the coats of lava and v07 right?

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Do I dry off the water before laying on the blacklight? Then let the blacklight cure overnight before putting the coats of lava and v07 right?

Yes. Some people do V07 then Lava, I do that and then another coat of V07.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Other options then IPA is carpro eraser and menzerna top inspection I think sonax has one to. These are all a little more friendly to the paint then ipa can be.

Once you remove all the oils dry the car then apply backlight. I think blacklight only has a hour cure so by the time you applied the whole car you should be about ready to buff off where you started. Following that apply your final LSP.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
If I only get done with the 205 tonight, is it ok to wake up early tomorrow morning and wipe it down, then apply the blacklight? Id have to leave the blacklight sit all day longbtomorrow and since I work Tuesday morning, can I drive to work, then come home and wash it before applying the lava and v07?? Won't have time to get the blacklight coats on it tonight I think. Taking longer than I expected.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Yes that's fine just do an ipa wipe down and you'll be fine. Blacklight doesn't have to sit all day its cure time.is 15 minutes doesn't need all day. So I would just apply BL to the whole car then buff off then apply your final LSP

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Although people more experienced than me have recommended letting it cure for 24 hours, I've always called it good after an hour.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I mean it can cure longer if you want. I found it tougher to remove after the longer it was on but the last time I used it I let It for a hour

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Ya I see what your saying but I think it's more preference kind of thing with the layering cure time. I think for a 2nd coat of BL is like 30 min or something before applying the 2nd coat so I'd be content with an hour or 2 before applying a wax over top. Like I said though it's all preference.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok just put on the first coat of lava and waiting to wipe it off. Do I need to lay a second coat after I wipe it off?? And lastly, do I spray it down with v07 after I wipe the lava off or do I spray v07 on it while I wipe it off?

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Finished up earlier when the sun was going down, but I could tell the difference in the paint using a spotlight I had in the garage. Not bad for my first ever attempt doing this. Tomorrow I'll get the interior done and cleaned.

Now to order some more detailing stuff since I was runnimg out of a couple things. Any other polish you woukd recommend instead of the meguiars stuff? Im going to do my wifes new lexus in a couple weeks. Clay, Light polish, blacklight, lava and v07.

Hood has a few cracks in it and waves in the fiberglass I don't like. Had it for almost 6 years so can't complain. Maybe ill sell it and get a different hood soon

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back