Detailing Questions-Answered

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
so, let me get this straight,lol. I should stip the paint down to bare clear(scrub it with simple green, clay bar it, then buff out any imperfections) then use the sealant? And then use one of those awesome waxes you guys are using?

Strip it down using a citrus based car shampoo that's made for that purpose.

Clay bar the car

Wash again

Compound, polish ,etc. depending on how bad your car is.

Apply sealant, remove it, then let the car sit for a day

Apply more sealant if you like, let sit for another day

Wax

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
gotcah! what website do you use to get this stuff?

For individual purchases I just use Amazon, usually. If I can't find it cheaper there I use detailedimage.com for my one stop shop. It's a little more expensive on some stuff, so be sure to shop around. I'll PM you a discount code for 10% off from DI

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
ok, last questions for now,lol. When sealing and waxing what kind of buffer pads do you use? Also, do I use the citrus cleaner on the whole car again after I claybar, or just regular auto cleaner?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
ok, last questions for now,lol. When sealing and waxing what kind of buffer pads do you use? Also, do I use the citrus cleaner on the whole car again after I claybar, or just regular auto cleaner?

You don't have to use a citrus wash after the clay bar, but it wouldn't hurt.

I uses pads that are designed for applying wax and sealant. . . .

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-C...son-Ultra-Fine-Finishing-Pad-P458/65-inch-S1/

^^^This is what I've started using

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/Blue-Fine-Finishing-Pad-P61/65-S1/

^^^^These are also good. But don't confuse them with the cyan hydrotech pads, which are for cutting.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

Meguiars Finishing Pads or any Lake County pad that is a finishing pad.

After you clay bar, you should NOT have to re-wash. If you do, in my opinion, than you clay'd sloppy. Make sure you use lots of lube so you don't get any clay residue on the surface and make sure you continue to wipe after each ~2' x 2' section.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score

After you clay bar, you should NOT have to re-wash. If you do, in my opinion, than you clay'd sloppy. Make sure you use lots of lube so you don't get any clay residue on the surface and make sure you continue to wipe after each ~2' x 2' section.

I'll have to try it next time without washing after the clay. I had always heard that it was a good idea to wash just to make sure the surface is clear of any residual. Sure would save time not doing it if it's an unnecessary step.

Do you every wipe down with Alcohol after claying? I've heard of lots of people that swear by it.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I know a lot of people do it but I really feel it's an unnecessary step. After you clay a section you're removing the containments onto your MF via the QD/Clay Lube. Sometimes I do get a little residual clay on the surface and I'll just go back over and QD the car with some Meguiars #34 and that takes care of it. Some times I will do an Iso Wipe down but not always. Not to mention, you're usually polishing it afterwards, right? The polish will undoubtedly remove any clay residue without issues. I will say that if you are claying a hot surface than you will need to wash. I never do that but I understand some people HAVE to, most notably mobile detailers.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score

Gotcha. I have a black Meguiars diamond cut finishing pad already. Thanks for the advice.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Gotcha. I have a black Meguiars diamond cut finishing pad already. Thanks for the advice.

Both of the ones I linked are finishing pads. The first one is one of the hydrotech pads by Lake country. I have pretty much switched all my pads over to LC Hydrotech pads. They save you money because they hold the product close to the surface and they don't soak up so much of it and waste it like standard pads do.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am just about to order some stuff for spring and was wondering if you tried the Zaino I sent you and what you thought about it?

TIA

Best sealant in my opinion is Blackfire Wet Diamond. It's shown in tests to out last anything out there.

It's impossible to pick a best wax. There are way too many things to consider. Price, easy application, easy removal, gloss, depth, how long it lasts, etc

Ones that go on easy and come off easy usually don't last as long.

My personal favorite is Natty's Blue.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I am just about to order some stuff for spring and was wondering if you tried the Zaino I sent you and what you thought about it?

TIA

I honestly hadn't messed with it enough to know, yet. I tested a small area on my deck lid to see how it would cover up some swirls. The shine was great, but I ended up using some M205 on it to get rid of them. After that I re did the area with Black Fire since I didn't have time to do the whole car and that was what was on the rest of it.

It's only been out of the garage twice since the first of winter.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

TIA

I have used Zaino in the past on a silver RX-8. I haven't used it on the Stang yet, but that is about to change. I was not satisfied with the Black Diamond I used so I am ordering a full line up of Zaino and redoing the entire car in it.

The stuff is magic. (I will still use the M105/M205 with the Porter Cable to buff with though)

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
DKS
Would love to master the black shine like you have. One day the car looks great and the next it looks funky. I don't drive the car much and like you I try not to touch the paint. I don't wash the car because if I take it out it's for a short drive. Would love to see you out at a car meet so you can check my car out. You are the man with black cars. Lots of good info

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I have used Zaino in the past on a silver RX-8. I haven't used it on the Stang yet, but that is about to change. I was not satisfied with the Black Diamond I used so I am ordering a full line up of Zaino and redoing the entire car in it.

The stuff is magic. (I will still use the M105/M205 with the Porter Cable to buff with though)

What is the Black Diamond you speak of?

DKS
Would love to master the black shine like you have. One day the car looks great and the next it looks funky. I don't drive the car much and like you I try not to touch the paint. I don't wash the car because if I take it out it's for a short drive. Would love to see you out at a car meet so you can check my car out. You are the man with black cars. Lots of good info

Thanks man. If you're not washing the car, what are you doing to get the dust off?

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
I blow it off or very very light with CA duster. I know throw it in the trash lol

Last edited:

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
DKS
+1! dark colors are hard to keep up, even garage queens!

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I blow it off or very very light with CA duster. I know throw it in the trash lol

Yep, that's the problem. Blowing it off won't get all the dust off, and is probably doing more damage than good causing micro scratching, IMO CA Dusters are hell on a car, too.

Get some super plush MF and some Meguire's Ultimate Quick Wax and try that for dust removal when you don't have time to wash.

+1! dark colors are hard to keep up, even garage queens!

It's all in the washing, IMO. That's where 90% of people mess up.

We should take a drive and get a class in auto detail

Come on down, lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back