Differential with boost?

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys planning on installing either a whipple or some sort of turbo kit on my 2012 soon and I'm changing the gears from 4.10 to 3.31.
When I had the 4.10s put in I installed a new t-lok diff and now it only has about 10k miles on it.
Is there a diff recommended when adding boost that I should invest in or is this t-lok fine?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Eaton True Trac. Not particularly expensive, street friendly and holds up to repeated launches on drag radials or slicks.

I see you're in Deltona. Is VMP doing your tuning? Talk to them about their TVS kits. They have been getting consistent 650hp out of stock Coyote motors since 2011.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll pick one of those Eatons up

And no I'm going to have lamotta do the tuning for me. I just moved a few months ago to longwood and I'm almost within walking distance of them haha

I had Justin at VMP do the tuning on my old 05 turbo v6, he did a great job and was very helpful up until I needed help revising my tune a year later and I could never get ahold of him. Then the motor blew and it didn't matter lol

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I'd say your ford traction lock would be fine with an auto, If it's a stick, I agree with the above comment about the tru-trac being very good. I had a tru-trac in my solid swapped 04 Cobra and it was very good, and had no ill effects on the street whatsoever.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd say your ford traction lock would be fine with an auto, If it's a stick, I agree with the above comment about the tru-trac being very good. I had a tru-trac in my solid swapped 04 Cobra and it was very good, and had no ill effects on the street whatsoever.

*BZZZT* WRONG

The stock TracLock is on borrowed time at stock power levels. Those clutches are practically made out of balsa wood.

Get the Eaton TrueTrac.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
*BZZZT* WRONG

The stock TracLock is on borrowed time at stock power levels. Those clutches are practically made out of balsa wood.

Get the Eaton TrueTrac.
The clutches in any clutch style limited slip differential will be toast if you do a 1 tire fry in the burn-out box. The trick is to not let your car do a 1 tire frying burn-out. I'll get back to you after the end of the season, and my stock diff. and gears are in prime condition after at least 40 runs. And I also see lower powered vehicles having more problems with 1 tire fires in the boxes, just sayin. If mine happens to kill the clutches, I'll simply replace the clutches. I had a pretty quick little nitrous assisted fox body, and a 2nd gen Lightning with nitrous on top of the blower that gave me zero problems with a ford traction loc also. I raced the snot out of them. I also don't know if the OP is going to do road courses, drag racing, or what. But I wouldn't just throw the stock unit away because some people behind a key board say to do so.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet your bias ratio is very low right now on that TracLock.
I'm hoping for the best. But my credit card will be warmed up and ready to buy some clutches if need be.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I think (for drag racing), if you can feel if there's only 1 tire spinning in the burnout box, you need to stop and get the non spinning tire in the water better and try again rather than just keep 1 tire spinning over 100mph while the other one's not spinning at all. Our 2012 Mercedes C63 actually has an open rear end, and if you do an aggressive enough of a burnout causing both tires to warm up the same, (which is over 90% of the time) the car actually does just fine off the line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back