disabling mirror mounted puddle lights

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've decided that I really don't like the silly Mustang logo puddle lights that are mounted in the side mirrors and shine on the ground when you hit the unlock button on the key fob. Is there an easy way to disconnect these without disabling a bunch of other lights? I think they are silly and draw unwanted attention from people I don't want to speak with when getting into my car.

Also, the driver's side lens is scratched and appears to have water in it, almost as if it had been vandalized in some manner. I was thinking about fixing it but I'd rather just unplug the damn things.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, down to one of them being messed up. Honestly thought about just a small piece of electrical tape under the mirror to block them. Super easy and cheap fix for now.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Can't you just pop the lens off and remove the bulb?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I guess I deserved that. I mistakenly assumed it was only accessible from inside the mirror housing. Due to my bad hip I've never gotten down on my hands and knees to look up at it from underneath.

The light is a small module that snaps into the bottom of the light housing and removable with a small flat screwdriver. I popped them out, unplugged them and popped them back into place. Done.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
^ thanks. Will be doing that this weekend when I get a chance.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Can the mustang logo be removed...and replaced with a clear lens? Then no stang image projected onto the ground, just clear light. That's what's on my 2011 fusion the wife drives.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Can the mustang logo be removed...and replaced with a clear lens? Then no stang image projected onto the ground, just clear light. That's what's on my 2011 fusion the wife drives.

I kinda doubt it.
The shaped projector part is inside the module:

pony-lens.jpg

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ I believe it's standard on the premium models. My wife's premium V6 'vert has them.

Dang, I really like the door mirror mustang puddle lights. Anybody want to trade???

EDIT: treed by Cam.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Dang, I really like the door mirror mustang puddle lights. Anybody want to trade???

That's where I was going with my question, but if I don't have the wires for it, not worth the effort.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Look on the bottom side of your mirrors and see if there is a cover plate that looks like the light module posted earlier in the thread. If there is, pop it off and see if there's a wired plug inside.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
'13-'14's are pre-wired for these mirrors.
My '13 didn't come with them, I bought them, transferred over the painted caps from my standard mirrors and they work.

The car harness plug has 5 wires in it.
Standard mirrors have 3 wires.
Heated/pony-projector mirrors have 5 wires

These are the 2 part numbers, I got mine for about $310 shipped from Autonation Ford, formerly Tousley

mirrors_heated-pony.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back