Do I need an exended watttanty??

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
Do I need an exended warranty??

Hello all! I picked up a 2015 Mustang gt with 36,500 miles on it. I know the basic warranty is out, but it still has the Powertrain warranty. Should I get an extended warranty from Ford?

Last edited:

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
Get a warranty if you're going to keep it stock. But if not they will probably deny your claim anyways.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Aftermarket Warranty is a necessary Evil. Its like car insurance. You have to have it but hope you don't have to use it.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
Aftermarket Warranty is a necessary Evil. Its like car insurance. You have to have it but hope you don't have to use it.

I bought a warranty through where I bought my car. Cost me an extra $1,400 and there's a $200 deductible but I can see something happening in the next 4 years that will make it worth every penny.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a warranty through where I bought my car. Cost me an extra $1,400 and there's a $200 deductible but I can see something happening in the next 4 years that will make it worth every penny.
I got my car at a BMW dealership. I kept my last mustang for 9 years. So Ford tried to get me into a 8 year warranty for $3,500. I said no thank you. Its out of basic warranty by 500ish miles. They said they would help me on that. I'm thinking about a 3 or 4 year one.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
In my life I've bought two extended service plans. I ended up regretting both! The service companies aren't much better than scammers. Always had claims denied for ridiculous fine print. Each time I cancelled the plans and got back a pro-rated amount. If you aren't going to buy the full manufacturer's ESP don't bother. Stay far, far, far away from third party ESP's.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Aftermarket warranty is usually evil, far from necessary. I've never bought one and never will. Do your research, get a good inspection, save the AW money away for a rainy day fund instead.

It's also helpful to think of off-warranty repairs as modification/upgrade opportunities. It's also a slightly different cost/benefit analysis if you wrench vs pay for service.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
In my life I've bought two extended service plans. I ended up regretting both! The service companies aren't much better than scammers. Always had claims denied for ridiculous fine print. Each time I cancelled the plans and got back a pro-rated amount. If you aren't going to buy the full manufacturer's ESP don't bother. Stay far, far, far away from third party ESP's.
I will be going through Ford if I get one.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Extended warranties are like betting the product is going to fail and fail badly enough to make the extended warranty price worthwhile. I'll pass. Thanks.

If I don't think the product will last the duration of my ownership, I don't buy the product.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
All the extended warranties I've all the stipulations have always been shit. You can't make any changes to the car, performance wise or even suspension wise. All maintenance must be documented (oil changes, etc) which I do all that shit myself so I know they'd deny any warranty work. If it helps you sleep better at night though...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The powertrain warranty is good to I think 50,000 miles. A catback won't be seen as causing a catastrophic engine failure. A CAI will need a tune and that may be grounds for denial.

If the rest of the car hasn't had problems by this point, it probably won't have problems.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
The powertrain warranty is good to I think 50,000 miles. A catback won't be seen as causing a catastrophic engine failure. A CAI will need a tune and that may be grounds for denial.

If the rest of the car hasn't had problems by this point, it probably won't have problems.
I got the car on Monday. I'm the second owner. It was well taken care of.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
When it comes to warranty claims and modded cars, from what many have posted here, it all depends on the dealer. Some are more mod friendly than others.

When I bought my car new, I did get the extended warranty through Ford. I knew I would not be doing any heavy engine mods, and I planned on keeping the car forever (I know, everyone says that!) Well, five years down the road now, and I am itching to trade the car, and I am no where near the end of the extended warranty that I bought.

Like someone mentioned earlier, if you really truly plan on keeping the car a while, I'd say go for the ESP. I personally will probably never buy one again because, based on my life experience with my cars, I am ready to trade for something else after 4-5 years.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I bought an extended warranty when I bought my Expedition. I think I paid $1400 or $1500 for it. The first repair came to $900 for a seat repair. Between that, the radio, and a cam dying it paid for itself. That was the only time I bought one and was glad I did.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

I deal with them all day at the dealership. You are correct. Some of the aftermarket companies are nightmares to deal with.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
When it comes to warranty claims and modded cars, from what many have posted here, it all depends on the dealer. Some are more mod friendly than others.

When I bought my car new, I did get the extended warranty through Ford. I knew I would not be doing any heavy engine mods, and I planned on keeping the car forever (I know, everyone says that!) Well, five years down the road now, and I am itching to trade the car, and I am no where near the end of the extended warranty that I bought.

Like someone mentioned earlier, if you really truly plan on keeping the car a while, I'd say go for the ESP. I personally will probably never buy one again because, based on my life experience with my cars, I am ready to trade for something else after 4-5 years.

This is very true. We are mod friendly because we do a tremendous amount of performance upgrades. It is all about what is needed and how you as a customer present yourself. Come in demanding and get shut down. A major factor is also with some of these companies we have to be careful because depending on what is needed for repair and the dollar amount, companies are sending out inspectors. If this happens it really puts a lot of egg on our face.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
The last straw for me and extended warranties was when the company refused to cover the oil/water/egr cooling in my 6.0l Powerstroke. I bought a power train warranty. They said because it was listed as an oil cooler they wouldn't cover it. The cooler is built basically into the engine block as part of the lubrication system. If it fails it causes a the EGR cooler to fail, which then dumps coolant into the intake. All they kept saying was "oil coolers aren't covered" over and over like a petulant child. They even refused to cover a seal on the engine mounted fuel filter. Because, you guessed it, it's a fuel filter and they aren't covered. It's even better, the stealership tried to charge $1400 for a $50 kit and 30 minutes of work. Had a long talk with the service director.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back