Do I need an exended watttanty??

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Do you regularly use your local Ford dealer for repair work? I wouldn't let any dealer within 100 miles of here touch any vehicle I own. Just getting the airbag warranty work done was gut wrenching. No way in hell would I ever pay for a warranty on anything.

But if you want to give away your money paying for repairs long in advance with no ability to decide how the work will be done, go right ahead.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying one for my explorer sport as there are so many electronic things that could go wrong and those things are somewhat necessary on a family vehicle.

For a car that I am going to mess with, I would not buy an extended warranty.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Do you regularly use your local Ford dealer for repair work? I wouldn't let any dealer within 100 miles of here touch any vehicle I own. Just getting the airbag warranty work done was gut wrenching. No way in hell would I ever pay for a warranty on anything.

But if you want to give away your money paying for repairs long in advance with no ability to decide how the work will be done, go right ahead.

The whole key to this is location. My dealer and another locally have very good techs.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
OP; if you did a VIN check before purchasing, you'd see if the vehicle is potentially a "lemon" and/or had previous service events (anything from oil change to minor crash). If the dealer doesn't offer, it's money well spent to have it done (IMO).

Also, if you're worried about possible future problems, set aside a little ca$h on a monthly basis for vehicle svs/maint. Get it up to a decent level (e.g. $3K - $4K) and leave it alone. This way you have the $$$ available vs. pi$$ing it away for NN years to a fly-by-night rip-off vehicle service writer. Enjoy!

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
OP; if you did a VIN check before purchasing, you'd see if the vehicle is potentially a "lemon" and/or had previous service events (anything from oil change to minor crash). If the dealer doesn't offer, it's money well spent to have it done (IMO).

Also, if you're worried about possible future problems, set aside a little ca$h on a monthly basis for vehicle svs/maint. Get it up to a decent level (e.g. $3K - $4K) and leave it alone. This way you have the $$$ available vs. pi$$ing it away for NN years to a fly-by-night rip-off vehicle service writer. Enjoy!
I decided not to do an extended warranty. Was going to cost too much. I did check carfax and no known issues. I'll juts put money aside incase issues come up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back