Does anyone know of any common Key off-Engine off power drains on '05-09 Mustangs?

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread, but my '07 GT500 came with the crappy Shaker 500 and I always have had battery drain problems. I spent hours doing proper load tests and never could ID any circuit that was causing it. Installed an aftermarket (Pioneer) head unit and it still does it. I hate having to keep the car on a trickle charger - it's the one thing I hate about this car.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Mine was good up until a few years ago- I never added any electrical equipment during that time so I don't know what the issue is. I just have to disconnect the battery if the car is gonna sit for more than a week which generally isn't a big deal.

DieHarder

Reaction score
That sucks. Mine was good up until a few years ago- I never added any electrical equipment during that time so I don't know what the issue is. I just have to disconnect the battery if the car is gonna sit for more than a week which generally isn't a big deal.

Mine is the same but I have replaced the map bulbs w/LED's so that's likely the source in my case. Stock stereo and like you I have to disconnect the neg cable of the battery to prevent batt drain. The problem has killed two batteries over the last few years. Got a digital charger to keep the battery conditioned. So far, so good.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had LED's in my map lights since probably the second year I owned my car and I've had it for 12 years, so I dunno. Those draw so little current I can't imagine them draining the battery but who knows.

Now that I installed a new head unit I would be curious to see if it's better but I don't want to draw the battery dead again, I had to replace it a couple years ago because of that.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, been awhile but I wanted to update this for anyone else who might come across it. Over the winter I pulled out the original Shaker 500 head unit with the integrated CD changer (the radio looked terrible plus I had a sneaking suspicion the changer was killing the battery) and replaced it with a Jensen touchscreen with bluetooth, Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Over the course of the summer I have experienced no slow starts or anything even after sitting 3-4 days, so apparently I was correct on the CD changer drawing power even when off!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back