Door Panel Leather Re-do

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw this on another site and didnt see it on here so I figured Id go ahead and put a DIY on here and at the same time re-do mine.

So I went to walmart bought a can Weldwood contact cement, and the foam brushes that were in the craft section, all of this was about $7. Then you will need a flat head screwdriver.

DSCN2072.jpg

You can see where the leather has come unglued and is popping out.

DSCN2073.jpg

First step:

Take the flat head screwdriver and work your way around the top of the leather like so. Mine came right off, I dont even think it was still sticking around the edges, so it was pretty easy to take off.

DSCN2075.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

Now there is no need to take it off all the way around the bottom if you don't need to, stopping at the window switches will be good enough.

DSCN2077.jpg

Second step:

Once you peel the leather back you will see were the glue was. You need to take this off so you will have a somewhat clean surface. I used my hand to get it off, just by rubbing it off, it took me about 5-10 min to get all of it off.

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2081.jpg

Third step:

Apply the contact cement on the surface and the back of the leather as well, I put 2 coats on each surface, I let each coat dry about 15-20 min.

DSCN2082.jpg

Final Step:

Once it has dryed, start working your way up from the bottom up, I forgot to take a pic doing this step, since i was doing it by myself it was kinda hard to, But work your way back and forth with it and take the flat head scewdrive to push the edges back into place.

DSCN2075.jpg

Finished product:

When you finish with it, I recommend going out side every 30-40 min to check on it, Ive done that with mine to check for bubbles on the leather, just rub the leather with your hand to make it flat, and just keep doing this till you don't see anymore bubbles in it.

DSCN2084.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Had to do this a month ago. I used 3m trim and emblem adhesive. Worked pretty well also. Nice job!!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Timely. I need to do this with both doors on my '05 right now.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the non iup and would like to add these how hard would they be to install, where can i get them?

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You can see from above, after I take the leather off, there is that piece behind it, I think its felt, and behind that is plastic, so If you see a way that something could go around your plastic piece then it shouldn't be a problem.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I should be able to lay the insert down right on the oem plastic with adhesive. I think that felt is normaly built in (one with the insert) when you first install it though.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I should be able to lay the insert down right on the oem plastic with adhesive. I think that felt is normaly built in (one with the insert) when you first install it though.

I've been thinking of this too. I was wondering if you just scuffed it up real well, would the glue keep the vinyl on the plastic?

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Mine has these problems, i had some kind of spray adhesive but once it is left in the hot Florida sun, the door leather starts undressing its self again.. Once i am all healed up from my surgery this past thurs- i will be re doing my two doors but with this cement stuff. How does it hold up?

GAMMARAY62

Reaction score
Dude, thank you soooo much for posting this up. I went to Home Depot and got the stuff and did it in my driveway. Took like an hour. Texas heat is a killer too. Thanks a lot!!!

ixtlan

Reaction score
Very nice.
Didn't realize it would be that easy to remove to correct.
Need to add this to my ToDo list.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did my passenger panel Sunday. Instead of the Walmart glue I used this stuff made by a German company called Wurth. It's called Wurth Rubber Glue. It's not the cheapest product ($22 per 6.3oz can). It is however the product that a lot of auto restoration people use and I think they are an OE supplier to Porsche.

Came out great. However, a word of caution to anyone doing this...once you rub off the foam after bits, the vinyl "leather" will be slightly over size and great care must be given to reapplication of the vinyl insert.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine has these problems, i had some kind of spray adhesive but once it is left in the hot Florida sun, the door leather starts undressing its self again.. Once i am all healed up from my surgery this past thurs- i will be re doing my two doors but with this cement stuff. How does it hold up?

Its been holding up very well, doesnt seem to be coming undone, the weather has been hot and humid as HELL, which I guess is testing it out, still looks good though!

bionjayhawk

Reaction score
door panel fix

I did this today using the Weldwood cement pictured in the first post. It worked great. The only advice I can add is that I used a plastic bristle brush to remove the old foam. I made sure to remove all of it. I also used a 1" putty knife to push the edge back into the groove. I used a bath towel to rub the panel and work out any bubbles. The result is great, you can't tell that there was a problem. Thanks for this thread. I have been a lurker here for a while and always appreciate the great advice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back