Drippy, drippy, how do you dry your ride?

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I keep a can of computer duster in the car, go over all the edges like the scoop, quarter windows, side mirrors, etc... and a few large microfiber towels to the bulk of it. One of the cali water blades works EXCELLENT for the roof, along with the front and back glass. I can't stand streaky/spotty glass.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
absorber followed by an air compressor with a little nozzle on the end to get any water out of nooks and crannies. A leaf blower also works.

Yeah, once you wipe down with the Absorber, follow up with forced air. I use my Shop Vac on blower setting, keeping the Absorber in one hand to follow along and mop up the blown out water.

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
Since I always have a fresh coat of wax on the car, I use a nice leaf blower. This way you significantly reduce the chances of any surface scratches. Yes, you kind of look idiotic to your next door neighbors, but hey, it's all for the love of the car. :clap:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since I always have a fresh coat of wax on the car, I use a nice leaf blower. This way you significantly reduce the chances of any surface scratches. Yes, you kind of look idiotic to your next door neighbors, but hey, it's all for the love of the car. :clap:
I tried drying with only the leaf blower, and it left tiny water spots when I was finished. The water beads nice, but maybe I need to wax again...it has been a while.

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
I tried drying with only the leaf blower, and it left tiny water spots when I was finished. The water beads nice, but maybe I need to wax again...it has been a while.

Yeah, there is always going to be a few beads of water that are easier taken off with a micro-fiber towel. The blower works great to get the majority of the beads off though!

thecarter13

forum member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there you might wanna try Optimum No Rinse.

Its a rinse less wash (no extra water spots) and if you do it often, and on a not so dirty car it will yield great results. I use it on nearly every car i do with the new water restrictions here. Saves a ton of water and a ton of time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes max of wash and dry time. It does leave a nice slick finish too, the same as if you were to use a wax based shampoo. Plus you can make a quick detailer and clay lubricant using different ratios of water and ONR.

You should be able to find it at some local stores (although rare) you can buy it online at any detail store.

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there you might wanna try Optimum No Rinse.

Its a rinse less wash (no extra water spots) and if you do it often, and on a not so dirty car it will yield great results. I use it on nearly every car i do with the new water restrictions here. Saves a ton of water and a ton of time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes max of wash and dry time. It does leave a nice slick finish too, the same as if you were to use a wax based shampoo. Plus you can make a quick detailer and clay lubricant using different ratios of water and ONR.

You should be able to find it at some local stores (although rare) you can buy it online at any detail store.
Hmmmm sounds interesting...I'll take a look into it.

shanec

forum member
Reaction score
Zaino clean & polish. Then water will want anything but to cling to your car. One pass dragging a 100% cotton towel over the surface of the car, using only the towel's own weight for pressure - and no water, zero water spots, no swirls - just shine.

mustangdave

Reaction score
I NEVER dry my car; you're just asking for swirl marks. I use the Mr. Clean unit with the atomized,filtered water and it dries spot free every time.

Tips: don't use the soap, it's crap. Use the good stuff like Meguiars and the two bucket method.

Change the filter when needed.

The unit has a filter at the inlet which can become easily clogged from crap in your water hose;check and clean as needed.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Microfiber towels don't swirl...just make sure you don't have any detritus in the cloth.

thecarter13

forum member
Reaction score
Using the proper drying and washing techniques can result in a swirl free finish. Dirty Micros and Chamois can cause swirling, even touching a dirty car can cause swirling (hard to imagine). Make sure any drying utensil is thoroughly clean and make sure that any mitts/sponges used get rinsed after doing each section. Using a grit guard is one way to avoid this, so is regular cleaning of micros and absorbers. I have a variety of micros in different sizes, thread count, etc etc, and suggest you do the same, some for drying, some removing polish, some for removing wax etc etc. Another thing is buy the special detergent so when you clean your micros/towels they are cleaned properly and thoroughly. I lost 20 micros once cause I did a regular wash to them and they all turned stiff and actually were unusable on a car, caused massive scratching. :tdown:

By the way, a micro or towel that is clean and dry can swirl a dry/clean car, something just to keep in mind. This does not happen often but it can in rare occasions. Normally on more softer paints.

Enjoy :beerdrink:

Chronos

forum member
Reaction score
Leaf blower seems awfully big, I recommend a shop vac. Most shop vacs should double as a blower and they are more compact plus you can use the corner attachment. This will help you get a concentrated stream of air and gets everything out of all the tight places. Some cars have so many nooks and crannies that if you dont do this, it can really ruin all your hard work. Auto detailers use a compressor (compressed air) but if you don't have one a shop vac will do.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
Washed the 'new to me' GT today and was frustrated by the 'ninja' water sneaking out from under the hood scoop and rear spoiler.

It seemed like after 'winning' every skirmish, ninja reinforcements arrived and messed up the 'battle field!'

So how do you win the war on water?

Brian

Try this. As soon as your done with the rinse pop your trunk open and open it all the way. This will make the water ninja's home to become completely vertical causing them to loose their foot hold and slide down to their demise. I tend to leave the trunk open threw out the drying proses. This assures me that all ninja have fallen, and gives the trunk jams a chance to air out a bit.

The fake, non functional, hideous, pointless, ninja water harboring, hood scoop will require a bit of patience. Try to park the car on a slight incline (nose lower, tail upwards ). Roll a 100% cotton towel, cloth, or shammy and jam it under the hood scoop fake opening. The ninja water will be sucked up into a vortex of absorbent material.

Hope this helps combat the ninja water clan.

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
My car is yellow. So anything I can't get with the Absorber is not even seen after it dries.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back