Drippy, drippy, how do you dry your ride?

StreamlineGT

forum member
Reaction score
Stihl BR600 Backpack blower, followed up with a microfiber towel or Maguires Water Magnet. The backpack gets the water out of the hard to reach places, and the microfiber gets rid of the water spots. Sometimes a dose of Maguires UQD is in order in case the water spots are dry.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I take a blast on the freeway, then polish it with some quick-detailer to get out any water spots :D I don't wash mine very often though

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
Another trick to combat those water spots is to rinse your car without a hose gun or end. What I mean is to just let the water run out of the hose on to the car. This basically coats the car in water instead of spraying it which makes a mess of droplets on the car. If the car is waxed well most of the water will run of it. Then just use a high quality shammy to finish the drying process.

romac

Reaction score
How long do you guys keep your absorbers? I've used them on all my cars but used to buy a new one every few months or so. The one I have now is quite old and starting to look like something I don't want touching my car lol.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Absorber. Then I walk around with the Shop Vac on blower hitting any "water traps" wiping up with the Absorber as I go.

Drewskie

forum member
Reaction score
do any of yall use the big washing places? like with the big wand? they have a spot free rinse and thats what i spray on my car after everything and the water just beads up, then i take it for a spin on the freeway to get rid of all the water.

825ltrgt

Reaction score
A leaf blower also works.

+1 The neighbors laugh when I wash the ride and give it a "Bl## Job". :naughty1:
It really gets the hidden water out of every crevice.

Works well with a big cotton towel due to our hard water. No water spots.

Got some of the pre-ShamWOW/absorber synthetic chamois that I picked up at a car show a billion years ago. They work too. Might need to upgrade though.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
I use a cow hide shammy. It feels 10x more soft than The Absorber and drys just as quickly.

shanec

forum member
Reaction score
I use Zaino. Beads water like nothing I've ever seen before. I simply drag a towel over the car while applying no pressure at all. In just one pass all the water leaps from the car and into the towel. Love it. One pass with no or light pressure and it is 100% dry.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
A leaf blower is the only way to fly. If you have a good coat of wax or sealant on the car the water will just fly off of it and it also gets the water out of the cracks. Then I use a MF towel to do under the hood and inside the door panels and trunk channel.

If you can keep from touching the paint it's less likely you will scratch it.

The sheeting method of using a hose with free flowing water works great to get a head start on it and it's really a cool trick, but now I just blow dry the entire car. I have zero water spots or streaking and I like to keep it that way. If you're using absorbers or towels you're not getting all the water out of the cracks and when you drive it it will run out and cause spots and streaking.

jjay760

forum member
Reaction score
take it for a drive after rinsing it off. it gets all the water out from the cracks

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
take it for a drive after rinsing it off. it gets all the water out from the cracks

I guess you use an automatic car wash, too?????

Actually, the water on the surface will collect dust and dirt and it will in turn stick to your paint causing spotting if you do that. The water running out of the cracks will also do the same leaving spots and streaks on the car. I mean for a grocery getter sure, but if you care about your appearance (ie. keeping it up to show quality finish) then that's not a good idea.

Honestly, I don't even do that in my Jeep and it's my DD. I don't usually leaf blow the Jeep, but I do use a MF drying towel on it. It's a light color so I don't worry about touching the paint like with the Mustang, but I still don't want Water Spots or streaking all over it.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I use a cow hide shammy. It feels 10x more soft than The Absorber and drys just as quickly.

The problem with those and the Absorbers are that they don't have the nap like a good thick MF towel does and if any dust, etc. has settled on the car, which can happen pretty quick, you will drag it over the finish and scratch it.

Again, I'm very picky about my paint and if your car is a DD not a show car, then my methods may seem a little extreme. But I can have a car for many years and it still looks new when I go to sell it. Usually much much better than it did when I bought it.

LegendLives

Reaction score
I haven't washed my car but about 4 times in 2 years, but I guess your is a daily driver so... I use a fake chamois from NAPA Auto Parts called a "Water Sprite". It sucks up water very well and wrings out a lot easier than a real chamois.

I would think using a leaf blower or compressed air would not be so good as grit, dirt etc... could be blown at the paint at a high velocity. I ain't a doing it...

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Mine is for sure not a DD.

The Leaf blower method is much safer than dragging anything across the paint. Most professional detailers use that method. Or compressed air, same difference.

The reasoning I've seen is that if dust or debris happen to be present it's better to quickly bounce one microscopic piece off and it be a single impact area that will not be noticeable instead of taking that piece of debris and dragging it and others all over the entire car. Call me stupid, but that makes perfect sense to me. . .

Last edited:

LegendLives

Reaction score
Mine is for sure not a DD.

The Leaf blower method is much safer than dragging anything across the paint. Most professional detailers use that method. Or compressed air, same difference.

The reasoning I've seen is that if dust or debris happen to be present it's better to quickly bounce one microscopic piece off and it be a single impact area that will not be noticeable instead of taking that piece of debris and dragging it and others all over the entire car. Call me stupid, but that makes perfect sense to me. . .

I do agree w/ ya on dragging something across the paint, very bad. My luck I'd beat the hell out of my paint w/ the leaf blower...lol
PS. do you really want me to call you stupid? J/K DKS

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest using a super ACME turbo charged leaf blower, but I've never had any problems. I have one of the cheapest ones I could find for the cars. I think like $20something at Walmart. I don't use the big daddy one we use for the yard work on it though. Plus, I'm doing it inside a clean garage so not much stuff flying around, either.

Try it sometime, so you neighbors can laugh at you, lol

Oh, just realized, you're talking about actually hitting the car with the blower. Yeah, that would suck. Again, why I bought the lightest cheapest one I could find. I've seen some pros actually pad the end with MF so if they hit the car it won't damage the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back