Driver side window

Max70

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I tried searching for a similar topic but could not find one or I used the wrong keywords

Today when I came back to the garage from a drive I rolled up the driver side window and for some reason it was not going up automatically, it worked automatically when opening it though, (meaning I had to keep pulling the switch to roll it up) then I also noticed that it did not stop where it should, it kept going up till the rail finished and the door could not close. When I drove out of the garage in the morning it was working fine and even throughout the drive, it only did this once back in the garage.

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with it, so if parts are needed I will order them before I open the panel, since parts could take between 2 & 3 weeks to arrive to my country.

Thanks.

BlueChappy

Reaction score
This might sound too simple but it works. Roll the window all the way down and keep holding the switch down for 2-3 seconds after it goes down. Then roll it all the way up and hood the switch up for 2-3 seconds. This should reset it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You have a new battery in your future.
The window lost it's memory. So what Chappy said to reset, but it is the battery that is the likely cause. Had it happen to me. My battery finally failed about 3-4 months after noticing the window issue (just kept resetting it)

Max70

Reaction score
You have a new battery in your future.
The window lost it's memory. So what Chappy said to reset, but it is the battery that is the likely cause. Had it happen to me. My battery finally failed about 3-4 months after noticing the window issue (just kept resetting it)

To be honest yesterday I tried to start the car and it was flat battery so I put it on charge, this morning all worked fine even the window, but when I came back home and tried to close it, it did not come up automatically (had to hold the switch) and it did not stop where it usually stop but kept rolling up.

I tried what BlueChappy told me and it worked.

Is it normal that a battery goes flat if the car is not used for a week (7 days)? I use my Stang only on Sundays so in the mean time it sits in the garage. To be completely honest this week I had the dashcam and cutouts module still switched on for the entire week, normally I disconnect them every time. When I disconnect them the battery would hold for 1 week, but barely, an additional 3 - 4 days and it would go flat anyway.

I'm trying to find out if its a defective battery or if this car model has some issues, since I saw a couple of posts here and there mentioning a flat battery.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No, one week should not kill the battery, unless the battery is weak.
So you either have excessive "ignition off" draw, or your battery is toast.
How old is the battery? Anything past 5 years is a "win" in my book.
Ps: With a good battery, I can let mine sit for 6-8 weeks and still start up.
Also, I believe if you leave the key in the ignition while parked, that may keep the computers from going to full "sleep", and have higher than normal IOD. Years ago, cars had a special IOD fuse. Techs had to install this as part of new car prep. Car starts and runs without this fuse, but nothing else worked (radio, interior lights, etc)

Max70

Reaction score
No, one week should not kill the battery, unless the battery is weak.
So you either have excessive "ignition off" draw, or your battery is toast.
How old is the battery? Anything past 5 years is a "win" in my book.
Ps: With a good battery, I can let mine sit for 6-8 weeks and still start up.
Also, I believe if you leave the key in the ignition while parked, that may keep the computers from going to full "sleep", and have higher than normal IOD. Years ago, cars had a special IOD fuse. Techs had to install this as part of new car prep. Car starts and runs without this fuse, but nothing else worked (radio, interior lights, etc)

Well I bought this Stang almost 3 years ago (3 years in December) and it always had this battery, the previous owner had it for 3 years as well and I think if placed this battery when he first got the Stang from USA. So my guess is about 5 - 6 years old. But I remember it used to do it too when I first got it, though it used to have the cutout module always attached (circuit board might be drawing power) it also had fog lights and its halos connected on a relay (not sure if it drew any power even though they were off) and I also know that the previous owner changed the map reading light (overhead lights) to LEDs and when you look at them in complete darkness they still emit some very dim light ( I was told its normal from LEDs).

All I can do is take off the positive lead and test with a meter how much draw there is.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Correct, need to test for draw. Also make sure the battery is fully charged. 12.6V with cable removed is fully charged. I see anywhere from 12.5-12.8 volts on my batteries, that I consider "charged". Not sure what type of trickle charger you have, but leave it on there for 12 hours (or more) Thats about how long it would take to charge a dead battery with a 1amp trickle charger. Or, wait for the "green light" on the Battery tender. ;)

LED glow when off, Yes, they do that because they are transistor switched in and by the SJB. LEDs draw much less than conventional bulbs, so they light up on the leaking voltage. I saw this on taillights too, going to LED bulbs.

Max70

Reaction score
Would I do any harm if I disconnect the battery, I mean scramble anything on the computer

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Would I do any harm if I disconnect the battery, I mean scramble anything on the computer
No, but you will erase learned PCM memory. So, idle needs to "relearn", fuel trims need to relearn, and OBD tests need to complete. So don't disconnect battery the day before a smog test. LOL

Ps: roll down the drivers window same as it drops when opening the door, before you disconnect the battery. So you can open/close the door with no power.

Last edited:

Max70

Reaction score
Is there another way to check IOD without erasing everything? If I attach wires from lead to Multi-meter probe and wire from battery pole to the other MM probe then disconnect the lead from the battery, would that help

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back