Engine Bay cleaning

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
I got the F21 but they were out of Simply Green and didn't feel like driving to the next auto parts store. I'll get it next time and try it out!

Emay

Reaction score
I used Emay's method over the weekend. I couldn't be happier. Thanks Emay

View attachment 8924

Nice work - glad the write up is still paying off for people.

For those that don't know - the F21 tire foam is used because it simply doesn't attract dust like any of the other dressing products. It also doesn't leave a greasy sheen film on top of the plastic parts. It leaves the blacks a natural black.

It is getting harder and harder to find in the foam can form. I tried the spray bottle version, and it's not the same.

I find it still in Advanced Auto chain stores.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

For those that don't know - the F21 tire foam is used because it simply doesn't attract dust like any of the other dressing products. It also doesn't leave a greasy sheen film on top of the plastic parts. It leaves the blacks a natural black.

It is getting harder and harder to find in the foam can form. I tried the spray bottle version, and it's not the same.

the F21 tire foam is impossible to find around here, in the Portland Oregon area. I bought what I thought would be the same thing, Turtle Wax tire foam turbo, or some crap. First time I idled over a dusty area, my engine bay looked horrid. I'll have to look a little harder for the F21. Or maybe the turbo crap will work, but definitely a VERY light misting on a dry engine should help. But your write up was awesome ! Thanks for the heads up.

oman_cobra

Lethal Mustang
Reaction score
Emay's guide seems perfect !!!
i wanted actually top start a thread on what areas i should cover when cleaning my engine...
so with aluminium foil i cover only the alternator & the air filter ?? thats it ???

ok, i ll repeat it again, & if any wrong steps im mentioneing please notify me :-

1- warm engine, cover alternator & air filter
2- Apply Engine Degreaser (Gunk)
3- Apply the spray tire polish
4- rag the engine
5- thats it ??

thanks

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've only done emay's way twice, but I think drying the engine bay before putting the f21 on will yield better results.

Emay

Reaction score
Definately don't use anything other than the F21 foam. Everythnig else is a dirt magnet.

I'll see if I can find you guys an online vendor to order from..

Do not wrap your alternator with aluminum foil, touching it down will conduct electricity and could possibly be a quick way to a big damn short. Use a plastic bag.

You can spray the f21 on while the motor is still wet.. any pooling should be wiped up before laying on the f21 though..

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
...actually I just did this. Covered with aluminum foil on the alt and used Simple Green. Warmed up engine etc as per previous posts. Fired right up afterwards. I didn't use any dressing and for the time being I don't plan to. Just needed it clean so I can work on upgrading.

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Emay

Reaction score
Here you go fellas - best price I found. Seems the product is not as readily available in some regions - buy a couple and store if that's the case. Vouch for it all day long. No clinging dirt issues after applying:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOB1V2

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured i'd bring this one back.
Have a few quick questions before I try this.

Should I worry about getting the cop's wet at all, will this cause start up issues after the engine is washed?

Also, what does everyone use to remove the grt/sand that collects in the valley around the COP's? This is my main concern with my engine since it is daily driven and I have a mini beach around them as of now.

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured i'd bring this one back.
Have a few quick questions before I try this.

Should I worry about getting the cop's wet at all, will this cause start up issues after the engine is washed?

Also, what does everyone use to remove the grt/sand that collects in the valley around the COP's? This is my main concern with my engine since it is daily driven and I have a mini beach around them as of now.

Roy,

Don't worry about the COPs - they're sealed really well. Also, if you follow this method it'll loosen up all the gunk around the valleys near the COPs and then you can just wash away with the hose. I'm in the process of doing this to mine right now.

Pics coming tonight....:popcorneat:

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
BEFORE - wasn't tooo bad:
DSC02452.jpg

AFTER:
DSC02460.jpg

and just for Royski - here's the area where the CMDPs, COPs, and cam covers meet:
DSC02461.jpg

DSC02505.jpg

Shower

Reaction score
I also keep it clean by wiping it down after every car wash, so it never gets too dirty.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Gotta get to work on mine. Have been real bad with keeping up under shood lately.

i figured your car had some kinda dirt repellant shield hovering around it.

I thought you drove the Chuck Norris of mustangs...dirt is too scared to come around your car.

Ok, i'm done. :beer:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

WARNING ! Do NOT use another product besides the F21 foam by Turtle Wax. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get off and out of your engine bay especially after it attracts every dirt particle for 1,000 miles then turns to a thick, nasty, water/soap resistant fungus all over your engine bay. I found a Turtle Wax product in a lime green can that I thought was F21, it wasn't. So be very careful what you spray on your engine. Ask me how I know this, hahahahaha

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
i went over to Autozone and picked up the Turtlewax Black Box, F21 Tire Foam, some new cleaning rags, Back to Black, leather wipes, cleaning wipes, invisiglass, and sponges so i'm ready for a full detail day friday and saturday getting ready to clean the car top to bottom, inside and out for fabulous fords at knotts this sunday. i'll have before and after pics later this week

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back