Engine bay cleaning?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for simple cleaning under the hood? Most of what I have is just dust and dirt on everything. I normally don't care much about what it looks like under there, but its too dirty even for my low standards. haha

I'm looking for the lazy way out if I can, so is there something I can spray on and rinse off? I'm not looking for "car show" quality, so I really don't want to get into major detailing with toothbrushes or stuff like that. I just need to clean it up some.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
goto autozone and get engine cleaner. just cover the alternator battery and spray the shit on everywhere. let it sit for a few min then hose it all off. run the car to activate the shit and burn off any trapped water, ect and it will look pretty good. did it to my stang in N/A trim a while ago.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
take a pic of it i want to see how dirty it is

don_w

Reaction score
goto autozone and get engine cleaner. just cover the alternator battery and spray the shit on everywhere. let it sit for a few min then hose it all off. run the car to activate the shit and burn off any trapped water, ect and it will look pretty good. did it to my stang in N/A trim a while ago.
That sounds easy enough...

take a pic of it i want to see how dirty it is
Here is one we took at the track last week, but it looks worse in the daylight. I'll try to remember to get a Before and After shot. haha

P1050721.jpg

matt texass

Reaction score
i am a little hesitant to run water on my engine....... but hey if its gotta be clean its gotta be clean and I'll just try to stay away from electrical stuff

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not as bad as i thought but i could never let it get that dirty on my car lol

Lil Hucky

forum member
Reaction score
Easiest way is with a good degreaser and a pressure washer that has HEAT. Spray on the degreaser let it sit a few then blast the hell out of your motor from all angles not just standing in front of the car then just wash your car. After you are done washing spray your engine with a product called New Luster (once again I do not have the bottle in front of me, but I think that is what it is) then start and leave your car running while you dry it…by the time you are done drying your car the motor will be mostly dry and you can just wipe it down later.

Easiest way ever and people will not believe how clean your engine is! :thumb:

don_w

Reaction score
Easiest way is with a good degreaser and a pressure washer that has HEAT. Spray on the degreaser let it sit a few then blast the hell out of your motor from all angles not just standing in front of the car then just wash your car. After you are done washing spray your engine with a product called New Luster (once again I do not have the bottle in front of me, but I think that is what it is) then start and leave your car running while you dry it…by the time you are done drying your car the motor will be mostly dry and you can just wipe it down later.

Easiest way ever and people will not believe how clean your engine is! :thumb:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I haven't replaced my pressure washer yet. Maybe it's time I do.

Keep the ideas coming folks!

don_w

Reaction score
a product called New Luster (once again I do not have the bottle in front of me, but I think that is what it is)
Google didn't turn up anything called New Luster. Anyway you can verify the name?

Lil Hucky

forum member
Reaction score
Google didn't turn up anything called New Luster. Anyway you can verify the name?

It's made by Malco...I think thay changed the name of it. Let me make a few phone calls and I'll try to figure it out.

Scott

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hahaha nice

I use brake cleaner on everything. :) Anything rubber or plastic I rub some interior shine shit on it. Makes it look purty

hurst

forum member
Reaction score
That's one I was thinking of, but I've never tried it. Does it work well?

I made a lot of research on this and even went to the detailing forum. Whats great about simple green is it is non toxic and won't ruin any of your parts. Unless you hose thru your cai and supercharger. LOL I had a beater that was really dirty and did a mixture of 60 simple green and 40 water. Sprayed the engine compartment and voila. CLEAN like dealer ready to sell. You could probably even increase the strength in adding more simple green. One other advantage is the price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back