engine light flashing under hard acceleration

EGAZ

Reaction score
I was driving on my way to Las Vegas from Phoenix. Much of the road is wide open. I was really carrying the mail when I started to accelerate. Previously my car would eat up the road. This last trip my car started to surge, the engine light started to flash so I slowed back down. Once I stopped the acceleration she ran great. Any ideas on what could have caused this? No codes were displayed. The engine light never came back on. Thanks

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You have pending misfire codes if the light flashed when you lost power. The light will be back on after code matures.

Reaction score
I was driving on my way to Las Vegas from Phoenix. Much of the road is wide open. I was really carrying the mail when I started to accelerate. Previously my car would eat up the road. This last trip my car started to surge, the engine light started to flash so I slowed back down. Once I stopped the acceleration she ran great. Any ideas on what could have caused this? No codes were displayed. The engine light never came back on. Thanks

Light flashing means only one thing - misfires, i would suggest not test your luck and not drive the car, the codes should be stored, can be multiple things from plugs and coil packs to low compression

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I can see the number of misfires on my aeroforce gauges plugged into the OBD port. The misfire count will drop to zero, and re-set when you shut the engine off. When I installed the new BRISK plugs in, misfires dropped to ZERO.

EGAZ

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments here. I will use my tuner to check for any codes. I think I know what the culprit is, a bad plug. time to replace it. What is mode 6?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Mode 6 is the results of the OBD tests. You can see how many actual misfires occoured on which cylinder(s). One cylinder needs to reach more than max allowed misfires before code sets when not misfiring.
A flashing CEL should have left codes. I just had a bad COP in our daily driver. Light flashed, code set. I replaced the plug and coil, light went out after 2 drive cycles.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back