Engine noise.. help

ShanGT

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm a new joiner to this forum and thank you in advance for any replies.

I have purchased a Mustang GT (12) sight unseen, as is and have an engine problem. I knew the risk, so it is what it is.

Please see this video of the engine noise;
https://youtube.com/shorts/X9t_BK4NTtc?feature=share

Can anyone advise what repair needs to happen? I've already budgeted for an engine swap as worse case, but any other diagnosis here will be helpful if I can save some money.

Also have a bunch of error codes I've recorded from my scanner, attached as images.

Screenshot_20220829_122956_com.prizmos.carista.jpg

Screenshot_20220829_123000_com.prizmos.carista.jpg

Screenshot_20220829_123008_com.prizmos.carista.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Initially sounds like VCT issue with a cam phaser/phasers. Given the codes that would be the first place I would focus. It sounded louder from the top than underneath as well and similar to the tone I heard on my former 2005 when it lost phasers...though I did not have codes. Regardless of the differences in the engines VCT is VCT. The coyote has four of them where as the 4.6L SOHC only had two. Shen the cams phasers fail interference between the valve and the piston dome occurs.

How many miles are on the car? What mods does it have aside from a tune and CAI? Perform a compression test on all 8 cylinders. Also as stupid as this may sound, you could try doing an oil change to make sure some numb nut did not put some high viscosity oil in the engine which can cause the VCT system to not work properly though it clearly states 5w20 on the oil cap and in the manual. There are also little filters on the Coyote VCT system that could become clogged and cause this as well.

Good luck. I bought my 14 GTCS site unseen. However we went over the car via video conference with a fine tooth comb as well as a test drive virtually. There are also third party inspection companies that can go over car and provide you details for as little as 150 bucks or so. Last NEVER EVER buy form VROOM. My experience over that mistake would take a small novel to tell. They fail to disclose information, they are extremely slack in communication, they are even more slack in the transfer of title area, and very difficult to work with. After 3 months I received my moneys back. For every happy buyer they have 2-3 like me who had a terrible experience. Mine was mild compared to some. Carvana complaints have a very similar trend to VROOM. While I succeeded in my second attempt buying on line though a dealer, I won't do it a again in the future. Best of luck to you.

Rul91

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a spun rod bearing! Pull 1 plug wire off at a time then replace it .If it's a spun bearing it will stop knocking when you unplug that cylinder.Secondly drain your oil in a pan with a magnet in the pan . If you have a spun bearing it should also leave some metal deposits. Could be wrong but easy to ck. Good luck

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind that's rod knock. I wouldn't run that engine again in case the offending rod bearing spins altogether, gets wedged, and causes terminal engine damage.
I suggest you pull the oil pan, remove each rod cap, and inspect each bearing /rod journal. If you find any blue discoloration of the crank/rods or severe scoring of the crank, that engine's toast anyway and will need replacing. In that circumstance there could still be some good parts of that engine (like the heads) worth salvaging before you send the rest for scrap.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The noise sounds related to a single cylinder so I’m thinking connecting rod or wrist pin. I wonder if oil pressure lost through a failed rod bearing would account for the cam phasers not working properly.

mustangGT90210

Reaction score
I was going to say it's a phaser, but after hearing that video, it's time for a new motor. She is absolutely cooked.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back