Engine vibration

Discussion in '2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech' started by Torkair, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Torkair

Torkair Junior Member

Seems that my 4.0 is getting some vibration from the motor that is entirely dependant on engine speed. Both when driving or in neutral the vibration keeps pace with engine speed. My first thought is the harmonic balancer is starting to go, which seems reasonable at 116k miles on the clock, but if anyone else can point me in the right direction it'd save me a few bucks and an afternoon of effort.

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member S197 Team Member

Check the Motor mounts?

3. Wolf302

Wolf302 Junior Member

+1 on the motor mounts

4. MustangJason

MustangJason Junior Member

my car also has some vibrations. Mine only does it when in Gear at a stop light.

5. smartass_garage

smartass_garage Junior Member

The 4.0 has an internal balance shaft that is chain driven. If the guide breaks and the chain comes lose, it will cause a noticeable vibration throughout the entire rpm range (that gets worse the higher the rpms)

I'd check motor mounts first, but don't rule out the balance shaft chain.

6. Torkair

Torkair Junior Member

I finally got the car Thursday and the vibration isn't as bad as I was lead to believe, some slight vibration at idle (both in neutral or in gear) that goes away at normal city driving speeds but comes back, a bit more noticibly at highway speeds. The rubber in the motor mounts is probably worn, can any of you recommend some good quality mounts? I've had nothing but bad times with the garbage mounts from Anchor...

7. stang_gang

stang_gang Junior Member

if you want a stock replacement then get it from ford or use the oem part number to find it cheaper online or buy poly mounts if you don't mind having stiffer mounts.